Clash of the Titans (vs. God of War)

Started by Azrael, Wed, 7 Apr 2010, 13:51

Previous topic - Next topic
I think filmmakers don't give enough credit to modern video games. I mean, it's been a while since most "final confrontations" in blockbuster movies looked and felt like boss fights, but they went a bit overboard with Clash of the Titans (and that other little film "based" on Greek Mythology, "Percy Jackson and Poison Ivy as Medusa"). I mean, many enemy and background designs looked like a toned-down version of God of War. One can argue that there's not many different things production designers do with a cartoony and big spectacle version of Greek Mythology, but at least they should give credit  :P

Still, Clash is a nice watchable film that borders on guilty-pleasure, but still miles better than most of the big spectacle crap that makes money these days.

I'm going to see it soon, glad to know it's watchable. I've always believed that the critic you should listen to is yourself. Most of the critics disliked it but I want to see it, so I'm going and that's how it should be for everyone. Looks like a fun epic adventure film.

Saw Clash of the Titans with some friends.  It came off to me like a made-for-TV LOTR IV.  I freely admit that the basic subject matter isn't really my thing but I didn't get into it at all.

This film look like a pathetic excuse. I'm not seeing it.

And I hate Sam Worthington. They must have nobody else to do films these days. He's just an even more wooden Bale clone.

People talk about how he brings in the box office numbers. Excuse me?! People are not going in to see his bland 'acting', they are going for the film.

Avatar was all about the special effects and the 3D. The film was an event, and they could have cast anybody in Worthington's role and the same box office would have resulted.

Terminator is a franchise, and it's going to make cash regardless. Again, they didn't go to see this guy. And Clash of the Titans is a big budget deal again with 3D.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  8 Apr  2010, 00:37This film look like a pathetic excuse. I'm not seeing it.
Whatever my opinion counts for, you're seriously not missing anything.  Liam Neeson has a tendency to elevate every movie he's in... but even he couldn't redeem this piece of junk.

It's the sad truth.

Thought so.

A soulless CGI led load of rubbish with sub standard performances.

Yet like Avatar, it brings home tons of cash and is deemed a winner.

Onya Worthington.

Never saw Avatar so I don't know but I'd argue that COTT isn't exactly doing Spidey numbers.  It'll probably make a profit when all is said and done (given the relatively modest budget) but I don't think it'll be in the Top 10 most successful any time soon.

As to the CGI, I don't mind that as an effects technique.  CG, models, puppets, matte paintings (traditional or digital), they all look fake as hell to me so I normally don't piss and moan about which looks faker...

... but in this case I'm making an exception.  For every pretty good effects shot COTT has going, there's at least three or four AWFUL shots.  If this was ten years ago and someone used a shot like that in a cutting edge PS2 game... people still would've cried foul.  That's how bad some of 'em are.  I have no fault with the integration of the effects as that aspect of the deal was pretty flawless.  But the shots with wispy, vapory smoke type of stuff or bright lights or something, it just looks artificial.  I realize that stuff is the hardest to get right but other films have those types of shots too and they're pretty good looking.  So, um, what's COTT's excuse?

The creature effects are okay though (although Medusa has issues).

I will say that the one effects bit that impressed me was when all the gods were having a conference with each other.  They're standing on, basically, Earth.  Like, the whole friggin planet.  Hades starts wandering around and talking whatever bullsh.it he said in that scene and you can see his extra long robe interacting with mountains, rolling into bodies of water, etc.  And for once, the cloud/vapor/smoke effects actually looked okay!

But still, you factor even the best effects sequences against the meh performances, the bland and uninteresting (to me anyway) subject matter and characters and a plot that I honestly couldn't have cared less about... I just can't justify recommending that anybody see this, I don't care how into Greek pagan religion or fantasy or whatever else they're into.  If it's someone's life mission to see every damned Liam Neeson movie there's ever been... well, even then it's a tough sell.

Fri, 9 Apr 2010, 11:57 #7 Last Edit: Fri, 9 Apr 2010, 12:00 by silenig
I have to admit that what I find most interesting about it is the subject matter - these days it's rare to get a film (loosely) inspired by actual mythology (and not comics, cartoons, action figures and the usual pop culture trash that Americans consider as their own modern mythology) that is pretty fun and enjoyable.

Being a HUGE Ray Harryhausen fan, I'd have to be dragged by wild horses kicking and screaming to see this remake. The original has problems to be sure, but you can't top Ray's stop-motion characters with CGI video game bosses.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?