Favourite OST?

Started by Azrael, Tue, 1 Sep 2009, 23:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Yes, OSTs have been discussed several times, but they are always fun.. Any favourites of yours? It can be anything from film scores to themes to clever use of songs in scenes or trailers.

Some of mine:
Tim Burton/ Danny Elfman collaborations
Sergio Leone/ Ennio Morricone
Several works by Hans Zimmer
The Last of the Mohicans (Trevor Jones)
oh, and Batman, the reason I started to take note of movie music in the first place  ;)

Obviously John Williams' Superman  ;)

It's funny cause yesterday I was driving to work and listening to a radio station called Classic FM (they play classical music) and they were doing a top 10 run down of the best movie themes.

As they made their way to number 1 it was pretty obvious that the winner would be Star Wars. Before it came on I kept saying to myself "my god, why is it always Star Wars, why can't it be something else for a change?".

The Star Wars main theme played just as I parked the car. I listened for the few minutes that it played...and I had my answer.

Wed, 2 Sep 2009, 00:21 #2 Last Edit: Wed, 2 Sep 2009, 00:26 by Tarzan1941
These are mine:  Danny Elfman is first, the rest are in no particular order.

Danny Elfman: Batman

John Barry: Dances With Wolves
John Williams: Superman and Star Wars (Trilogy!)
Basil Poledouris: Red Dawn
Michael Kamen: The Iron Giant
James Newton Howard: Wyatt Earp
James Horner: Glory
Philip Glass: Koyaanisqatsi
Moby: Southland Tales (Yeah not an official score, but his music provides the score)
Hans Zimmer: Thin Red Line

Opps...  I feel so silly for leaving out:

Craig Safan: The Last Starfighter
Elmer Bernstein: Ghostbusters
Jerry Goldsmith: L.A. Confidential

Ok that's enough from me.  Who else has some favorites to share?

I was listening to Morricone's Once Upon A Time in the West the other day and made me want to revisit the film. No matter how many times you listen to it, tracks like "The Harmonica Man", "Frank" and "The Final Duel" stay with you, some of the most haunting pieces of music ever put on film.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial.  John Williams again.  Enough said.   :)

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

John Williams- JFK
Thomas Newman- American Beauty
John Debney- Passion

I dont have a favourite, however. I can tell you Bicentennial OST by James Horner is a favourite of mine.

I also enjoy Randy Edelmans work very much.  :)

and the cle' sh'e'd Danny Elfman who like to use the same themes every couple of films...like scissorhands was a definate rippoff of returns...

Dont worry, I caught john williams using the Star Wars themes throughout Indiana Jones.

they ARE Lazy people at times, but still brilliant...
Fasten your setbelts securely. Any unfastened belt will cause the mission to be aborted.
Batcave security prohibits photography of any type, Thankyou for your attention.

Quote from: bttfspencer on Fri, 20 Nov  2009, 16:14
and the cle' sh'e'd Danny Elfman who like to use the same themes every couple of films...like scissorhands was a definate rippoff of returns...

Dont worry, I caught john williams using the Star Wars themes throughout Indiana Jones.

they ARE Lazy people at times, but still brilliant...

What are you talking about?  Also, Scissorhands came out before Returns so even if their soundtracks sounded anything like the other, how can Scissorhands be the rip-off?  Plus, the Indiana Jones theme sounds nothing like Star Wars.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

An OST I really enjoyed lately was Jesper Kyd's Assassin's Creed II - it really has a couple of beautiful tracks that work pretty well as a stand alone listen, and brings several film scores to mind.

For those that like this sort of thing, enjoy.

track 1

track 3

track 4

A useless piece of trivia is that Kyd is also responsible for the techno soundtrack for Sega's Adventures of Batman & Robin (1995).