Maguire's Spider-Man vs. Garfield's Spider-Man in a brawl

Started by mrrockey, Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Which of these two Spider-Men do you think would win in a brawl? For me, I'd say Maguire. He's shown greater feats of strength and durability in his movies with him sending Flash flying across the hall with a single punch and stopping an entire subway train out of web and being able to take a fricking pumpkin bomb in the face whereas Garfield is never shown to be THAT strong or durable(yet).

Who do you think would win in a fight?

Discuss...

Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 11:49 #1 Last Edit: Wed, 20 Aug 2014, 13:45 by Edd Grayson
They both have the same powers, don't they? Just that Garfield isn't shown doing exactly what Maguire did and likewise.

If you want to compare them, Maguire was better as Peter Parker the geek while Garfield was better as the smartass Spidey. Also, we were told repeatedly that peter is smart in the Raimi series, but he never used his intelligence to defeat the villains. I lean toward Garfield.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Wed, 20 Aug  2014, 11:49
They both have the same powers, don't they? Just that Garfield isn't shown doing exactly what Maguire did and likewise.

If you want to compare them, Maguire was better as Peter Parker the geek while Garfield was better as the smartass Spidey. Also, we were told repeatedly that peter is smart in the Raimi series, but he never used his itnelligence to defeat the villains. I lean toward Garfield.

Pretty much this; the only aspect Maguire did better was the geekiness and I wonder if that's partially why they included the 'spiderman no more' plotline in the second film? He badly dropped the ball when he had to act cool in the 3rd.

As you said Maguire didn't get the smartass spidey right nor did he act intelligence in the suit. I couldn't see Maguire handle the plutonium heist in the ASM2.

If you want to compare them, Maguire was better as Peter Parker the geek while Garfield was better as the smartass Spidey. Also, we were told repeatedly that peter is smart in the Raimi series, but he never used his intelligence to defeat the villains. I lean toward Garfield.

Yeah, they have the same powers but they're shown different feats in terms of their strength, durability, and agility. I just thought it would be fun to compare them even though it would probably be a pretty equal fight realistically.

In terms of who I thought portrayed Peter Parker/Spider-Man better, I agree with you that Maguire portrayed the better Peter Parker while Garfield portrayed the better Spider-Man. I feel Maguire's Parker was just better defined, he was more relatable, and I just felt for him more because of how comically dorky Maguire played him. I would say though that Garfield was perfect as Spider-Man in the second film and his voice is the one I hear whenever I read anything Spider-Man.

Quote from: mrrockey on Wed, 20 Aug  2014, 18:57

Yeah, they have the same powers but they're shown different feats in terms of their strength, durability, and agility. I just thought it would be fun to compare them even though it would probably be a pretty equal fight realistically.

In terms of who I thought portrayed Peter Parker/Spider-Man better, I agree with you that Maguire portrayed the better Peter Parker while Garfield portrayed the better Spider-Man. I feel Maguire's Parker was just better defined, he was more relatable, and I just felt for him more because of how comically dorky Maguire played him. I would say though that Garfield was perfect as Spider-Man in the second film and his voice is the one I hear whenever I read anything Spider-Man.

The thing is in the comics, spider-man is not that nerdy post-spider bite. He's more self-deprivating (making fun of himself).

I guess Maguires did show feats of strength more; particularily in the second film when he had to stop the train and nearly the entire building. Though Garfields was no wuss; he kept fighting after getting shot in the first film.