TDK sequel script written?

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 11 Feb 2010, 11:59

Previous topic - Next topic
I guess I'm in the minority, who really didn't like TDK, and thought BB was a better movie from Nolan?  :-[

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 13 Feb  2010, 00:21
I guess I'm in the minority, who really didn't like TDK, and thought BB was a better movie from Nolan?  :-[
I do think BB is better paced than TDK, which cuts scenes and changes tangent quite abruptly. But TDK has it over BB in the key areas. Improved score, villains, etc.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 14 Feb  2010, 09:11
I do think BB is better paced than TDK, which cuts scenes and changes tangent quite abruptly. But TDK has it over BB in the key areas. Improved score, villains, etc.
Except they wasted Two-Face by rushing him in the finale. They should have had him disappear after the hospital scene with a Two-Face teaser at the end of the film. then we could get the next Batman film where Two-Face is the MAIN villain like he deserves to be!

I know some feel that it was a natural progression due to the whole "die a hero..." thing, but I felt cheated. I didn't feel they established Harvey's shaky psyche well to begin with( although I do like the scene with Harvey and the fake cop), and They threw in the "Harvey Two-Face" nickname without explaining why the cops call him that in the first place.

In BB I thought they gave the main villains adequate screen time, though they rushed Scarecrow out of the finale( I sense a pattern). The video game tie-in gave Scarecrow a better denouement.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I don?t think they wasted Harvey Dent at all. Nobody will convince me otherwise. His death is essential as it?s behind the very meaning of the film.

Eckhart did brilliantly, probably better than Ledger. I?ve said it before in another thread and I don?t want to repeat myself, but Nolan?s Two-Face could not support a third film. Here, he?s a vigilante with a grudge that can only go so far.

And while I sometimes think Dent should?ve starred in Begins, I?m now glad he didn?t. The previous DA was murdered, and the viewer knows his replacement is doomed as well. In that regard, it works well.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 15 Feb  2010, 06:05
  Nolan’s Two-Face could not support a third film. Here, he’s a vigilante with a grudge that can only go so far.

Which is another reason I don't like Nolan's "realistic" approach.  Thank goodness for the animated series.  IMO that was the only interpretation to really do Two-Face justice.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Mon, 15 Feb  2010, 08:56
Thank goodness for the animated series.  IMO that was the only interpretation to really do Two-Face justice.
I like Eckhart's Two-Face a lot, but I agree, The Animated Series version is still top dog.

Nolan speaks Batman 3:

Quote"Without getting into specifics, the key thing that makes the third film a great possibility for us is that we want to finish our story, and in viewing it as the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story. We have a great ensemble, that's one of the attractions of doing another film, since we've been having a great time for years."

[...]

"I?m very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we?ve done with the characters,? Nolan said.?My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these things don?t go on forever in film and viewing it as a story with an end is useful. Viewing it as an ending, that sets you very much on the right track about the appropriate conclusion and the essence of what tale we?re telling. And it harkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That?s what we do."

I wonder if Batman 3 will end with either Batman/Wayne dying, or, as in The Dark Knight Returns, faking his death. I gather Nolan's really talking about thematic finality, and not the end of the character.

maybe bruce gives up the batman mantle and marries selina kyle? thats how catwoman returns would've ended. i'll sue that bastard. lol jk.

If you think about it in a psychological sense, sooner or later Bruce would come to terms and be at peace with who he is and what he's lost and give up being Batman.

Or he'd keep on going until he's dead.

Really, it's one or the other.

That doesn't necessarily mean you make that kind of story into a film for crying out loud, but one of those is basically what would happen, I think.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 11 Mar  2010, 06:20
That doesn't necessarily mean you make that kind of story into a film for crying out loud, but one of those is basically what would happen, I think.
Agreed.

Though if he does do this, we will be free of his continuity constraints and his series will be tied off. It will be its own thing. I take it this will be his last, and he is the one to finish it off. I wouldn't want Batman dying, but having him faking his death ala TDKR would work.

In an unrelated seires, the next director could then be able to do something more in line with the fantastical side of the comics. And re-casting a Joker would not be a big deal at all. And so on.