Batman Returns - Nostalgia Critic

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 24 Dec 2020, 12:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Yet another Batman Returns video has appeared among my YouTube recommendations, this time from the Nostalgia Critic.

I'm not sure why so many YouTubers have been focusing on BR lately, other than it being Christmas. It's not like it's a major anniversary or anything. Perhaps the news of Keaton's return inspired some of them to revisit the movie and rethink their opinion of it. I noticed another five reviews have also been added to the BR Rotten Tomatoes page in 2020, and all of them were fresh. I suspect the improved transfer on the 4k release might have something to do with this, as it helped restore the cinematography that was diluted somewhat in the previous Blu-ray release. The decline in hype surrounding The Dark Knight Trilogy might also be a factor in helping people re-evaluate BR on its own merits, rather than judging it in terms of what Nolan was trying to do. Either way, it's nice to see the film getting some attention.

Yes, it's very odd, but extremely pleasing, to me that Batman Returns appears to be trending right now.

There have been a raft of podcasts, commentaries and YouTube videos on the film lately (so much so, I can't keep up), and whilst one might customarily expect more attention on the film during the Christmas season, Returns seems to have generated particular attention this Christmas.

There are a number of possible factors, like, as you say, Keaton's mooted return, but the current lockdown/quarantine has encouraged many people to rediscover old films.  Plus, I wonder if Wonder Woman 1984 has had an impact, as I believe, from many of the early reviews and audience responses, that there are a few shared tropes and themes between the films.

Anyway, it's a pleasant surprise for the end of an otherwise fairly crummy year.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Yeah, noticed that too, and even if I haven't watched all of them, or maybe agree with all of them, I quite liked seeing the film get attention.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 26 Dec  2020, 18:00
There are a number of possible factors, like, as you say, Keaton's mooted return,

Mooted? Did they call it off?