Tim Burton Commentary

Started by Joker81, Sat, 10 Jan 2009, 16:33

Previous topic - Next topic
Does the Region 1 Batman Returns DVD have the commentary by Tim Burton?

Tim Burton's commentary is boring....ahh Im yawning and falling asleep just thinking about it.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

I'm the opposite. I find his commentaries fascinating (Especially about the Batman films), but I guess I'm just that big a fan of his. I know he's a quiet, mousy guy, and I love him for that. He gets to tell the fans why he did what he did, and I totally see the logic in them.

Don't listen to DV. Burton's commentaries are a MUST if you really dig on Burton's Bat films. Granted, you probably won't have the itch to watch them with commentary every other watch, but you'll definitely enjoy hearing it more than once.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

No listen to me if you expected to hear him explain things about the films rather than go on and on rambling about basically the same stuff we heard on the interview footage from the other extras on the SE, that will in turn.......PUT YOU TO SLEEP!

lol Im not saying dont check it out, to each their own, I gave them both a chance and thought the commentary was awful, I like the visual part of Tim and I like it alot, he just dosent explain things that well vocally, thats a fact.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Touchy bastard, ain't ya?

You know, the mediator thing is really getting old. Almost any thread that compares the two franchises (not this one, obviously), you have to come in with some "it's all the same!' comment. We're not SHH! We don't need to be kept from comparing both franchises. This community is EASILY mature enough to compare the two without descending into fighting. And even if it did, that's for the mods to diffuse, not you.

And you do an awful lot of pushing of your own opinion. You do have a point about Burton mostly discussing things covered in the documentaries, but there are plenty of other tidbits in the commentary to make it worth listening to. You do have to be a fan of Burton to be willing to sit through his mousiness, and I can't necessarily listen to all of his commentaries, but on his two Batman ones, I was engaged completely. Throughout both, there are humorous little tidbits. Such as Tim's meetings with Jack Palance, or Tim poking fun at his own poor handwriting.

I mean, y'know, if you didn't fall asleep listening to them, you would have known that.

Now, I don't want to be snarky, but really, back off, man. Like I said, we don't need a conflict mediator. That's a job for the moderators. And you don't have to be so intense in discussions. Practically getting offended that I disagreed with you and said for him not to listen to you shouldn't get reacted-to like I insulted you personally.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

LOVED the Burton commentary in B89 and Returns especially his reason for casting Keaton.

Yeah, Burton's commentaries are great. Lots of tidbits that aren't in the docs. I especially like his comments regarding Two-Face and Billy Dee.
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Quite frankly I thought Burton's commentary on the original film was boring too. However, I may give it another chance then next time I re-watch the film. I haven't seen Returns with the commentary, as it was omitted from the UK DVD.
Even the greatest masterpiece has its flaws.

Sun, 11 Jan 2009, 14:25 #8 Last Edit: Sun, 11 Jan 2009, 14:29 by raleagh
Quote from: DarkVengeance on Sun, 11 Jan  2009, 07:31
Tim Burton's commentary is boring....ahh Im yawning and falling asleep just thinking about it.

I think you mean

"I think Tim Burton's commentary is boring....ahh Im yawning and falling asleep just thinking about it."

Sun, 11 Jan 2009, 15:04 #9 Last Edit: Sun, 11 Jan 2009, 15:42 by raleagh
Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sun, 11 Jan  2009, 08:49
Touchy *******, ain't ya?

You know, the mediator thing is really getting old. Almost any thread that compares the two franchises (not this one, obviously), you have to come in with some "it's all the same!' comment. We're not SHH! We don't need to be kept from comparing both franchises. This community is EASILY mature enough to compare the two without descending into fighting. And even if it did, that's for the mods to diffuse, not you.

And you do an awful lot of pushing of your own opinion. You do have a point about Burton mostly discussing things covered in the documentaries, but there are plenty of other tidbits in the commentary to make it worth listening to. You do have to be a fan of Burton to be willing to sit through his mousiness, and I can't necessarily listen to all of his commentaries, but on his two Batman ones, I was engaged completely. Throughout both, there are humorous little tidbits. Such as Tim's meetings with Jack Palance, or Tim poking fun at his own poor handwriting.

I mean, y'know, if you didn't fall asleep listening to them, you would have known that.

Now, I don't want to be snarky, but really, back off, man. Like I said, we don't need a conflict mediator. That's a job for the moderators. And you don't have to be so intense in discussions. Practically getting offended that I disagreed with you and said for him not to listen to you shouldn't get reacted-to like I insulted you personally.

Well said!! ;D

[edited - raleagh]

Rest of Joker81's post - that this post was created not for a debate on whether Burtons commentary was boring or not, it was posted so I could find out if the region 1 dvd has Burtons commentary.

Thanks for the guys who have posted a sensible response.

I personally think Burton's commentary isnt boring, and he is a very intellegent and interesting man. I look forward to hearing his commentary on BR as I was disappointed it was not on the R2 disc.

At least he took the time out to do a commentary and make a 5 star DVD for both his Batman films, unlike ah hum.... other directors recently.......