Empire Magazine 500 Greatest Films

Started by Joker81, Tue, 2 Sep 2008, 19:15

Previous topic - Next topic
Empire Magazine are doing an online poll for next months edition - 500 Greates Movies Ever Made. You have to vote your top 10 films.

I vote Batman as my number 3 (Behind Jaws and Psycho). They then said they are doing a limited 100 special edition covers of 100 different movies! I went on line to get a Jaws cover, and to my surprise one of the 100 was Batman Returns!!!!

So I searched for Batman!! Not there!! I was totally surprised by that! Has Batman returns been voted higher than Batman??

TDK was there with  the Joker on the front. So it got me thinking, are people now dismissing Batman? Its a worrying thought for me a diehard Batman 89 fan. But I think its great that Returns is up there! Does it mean that Returns is becoming more popular with time? A cult classic maybe?

For me Returns is one of the greatest sequels ever made! But Batman is my favourite. So get on and vote for Batman people!!!!! ;D

I was happy to see that both Batman and Batman Returns made it onto the 500 greatest films of all time. Thanks for voting. These two are truly some of the best and memorable films of all time.

I think its ridiculas tho that TDK made it to #15!

And Batman was like 480 odd!!

Really stupid how TDK got way higher than Batman & Returns. By all means, TDK does not deserve that position, and even to be featured in that list. Batman & Returns are WAY better movies.
*Wipes blood off of Newspaper*
-Winged freak TERRORIZES? Wait'll they get a load of me.

I agree.

No doubt it will slip with time. Its all the hype you see.

I was on a TDK forum and these guys were disputting the likes of Jaws and Pulp Fiction being in  the top ten! Yet they think TDK is the best film ever made. Fcuk! The mental age of them TDK forums must be about 12! Really. They dont know anything about film. They have half a brain between them.

Wed, 1 Oct 2008, 03:01 #5 Last Edit: Wed, 1 Oct 2008, 03:07 by Sandman
Quote from: Joker81 on Tue, 30 Sep  2008, 23:50
I agree.

No doubt it will slip with time. Its all the hype you see.

I was on a TDK forum and these guys were disputting the likes of Jaws and Pulp Fiction being in  the top ten! Yet they think TDK is the best film ever made. Fcuk! The mental age of them TDK forums must be about 12! Really. They dont know anything about film. They have half a brain between them.

Lol it's probley because most of them arn't even at an age were they are allowed to watch a M15+ movie.

Dark Knight was a good movie but it's probley should hold the record for most overated movie of all time. Was it good yes, but it sure as hell wasn't the best Batman movie made and sure as hell isn't the best movie made.

Eventually the hype will go away but sady not soon enough and untill then we will just have to continue to deal with all the Sheeeet that comes with it.

Very true Sandman.

One thing I have noticed tho is TDK being more and more critisised by people, people with brains who know film. I liked the movie, but like you said its not the best Batman film and its not the best film ever made!

As the dust is settling these 'uncivilised people' (sorry couldnt resist lol), but these fans boys are being found out for wat they are- full of cr4p.

How can they get away with saying its a better film than The Godfather, and it deserves to make more money than Titanic?

In the last 6 months I have seen Tim Burton, Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton, Batman, The Godfather,Titanic, Jaws, and Bob Kane all attacked by these looney's! And for what? Records?
Are they that insecure that they need these records to prove to themsleves that this is a good film out of fear that it isnt the 'masterpiece' they want it to be, because in reality it is a fast paced popcorn action flick?

The next backlash will be when Ledger doesnt win the oscar. Mark my words.

Slightly off topic, I found this post on IMDB. It is quite interesting.

1. BatKeaton works in the shadows, making sure nothing gets out that could prove his existence, maintaining his mythological status in Gotham: "He took the film..." Whereas BatBale will happily show up anywhere at anytime, day or night.

2. Since he knows the Gotham justice system is corrupt, BatKeaton will kill if nessasary, ensuring that the city is safe from psychopathic serial killers; whereas BatBale will spare any killer's life because of his flawed code of honour. Yeah, I'm sure they'd spare your life in a heartbeat if the tables were turned against you, Bale!

3. BatKeaton doesn't cause the city thousands in damages (needlessly) just to drive down the street. The Joker's driving a truck, BatBale. There's no reason to blow half the block up just to catch up to him.

4. BatKeaton has the correct voice; smooth and calm yet intimidating; not growly and incoherent, like a bulldog trying to figure out a Rubix Cube.

5. BatKeaton's face doesn't look squashed up inside his mask like BatBale's.

6. BatKeaton goes out with attractive women.

7. BatKeaton's Batmobile actually looks like a Batmobile and is actually called a Batmobile.

8. BatKeaton actually invented his own gadgets, unlike BatBale who just walks into Fox's office and picks out what impresses him, like a James Bond/Q scene rip-off.

Wed, 1 Oct 2008, 09:18 #8 Last Edit: Wed, 1 Oct 2008, 09:34 by Sandman
QuoteHow can they get away with saying its a better film than The Godfather, and it deserves to make more money than Titanic?

In the last 6 months I have seen Tim Burton, Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton, Batman, The Godfather,Titanic, Jaws, and Bob Kane all attacked by these looney's! And for what? Records?
Are they that insecure that they need these records to prove to themsleves that this is a good film out of fear that it isnt the 'masterpiece' they want it to be, because in reality it is a fast paced popcorn action flick?

Yea i never got that. Frankly i don't give a flying fcuk what a movie make plently of horrible movies make lots of money but i guess it's all they have.

I've also noticed that these nolenites love trying to bring down any other superhero movie thats doing well, take Ironman for example a movie that ended up being one of this years best movies and every bit as good as TDK, but they will go to extremes to try and bring it down for no reason at all.

I have said many times that i liked TDK it's in my top 3 fav Batman movie's but when it comes right down to it, it's just not and never will be anything like the legend tha is Jaws.

As for Heath Ledger all i can say is this i hate all of these Fu(KING death dark knight fans (as i like to call them). An as for his Joker it was nothing short of exellent but.....in no way should get an Oscar because like it or not it will be for all the wrong reasons and will be taking it away from someone that really earned it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  1 Oct  2008, 09:00
Slightly off topic, I found this post on IMDB. It is quite interesting.

1. BatKeaton works in the shadows, making sure nothing gets out that could prove his existence, maintaining his mythological status in Gotham: "He took the film..." Whereas BatBale will happily show up anywhere at anytime, day or night.

2. Since he knows the Gotham justice system is corrupt, BatKeaton will kill if nessasary, ensuring that the city is safe from psychopathic serial killers; whereas BatBale will spare any killer's life because of his flawed code of honour. Yeah, I'm sure they'd spare your life in a heartbeat if the tables were turned against you, Bale!

3. BatKeaton doesn't cause the city thousands in damages (needlessly) just to drive down the street. The Joker's driving a truck, BatBale. There's no reason to blow half the block up just to catch up to him.

4. BatKeaton has the correct voice; smooth and calm yet intimidating; not growly and incoherent, like a bulldog trying to figure out a Rubix Cube.

5. BatKeaton's face doesn't look squashed up inside his mask like BatBale's.

7. BatKeaton's Batmobile actually looks like a Batmobile and is actually called a Batmobile.

8. BatKeaton actually invented his own gadgets, unlike BatBale who just walks into Fox's office and picks out what impresses him, like a James Bond/Q scene rip-off.

LOL i gave up on imdb long as it's just Nolan city there now and just to unsafe for a proud Keatonite like me :D.

LOL to true, it wasn't that bad in Begin but in this he sounded like a 90 year old chain smoker.

YES WTF is up with that? Even horrible horrible horrriibblleee Clooney had a hot girls.

Yup but still that Bat-Tank thing is still pretty bad ass...can't say the same for his stupid Batpod.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH i'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR HOW LONG >:(.