Warner Bros. Confirms Superman Reboot

Started by The Dark Knight, Sun, 24 Aug 2008, 02:06

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 24 Aug 2008, 02:06 Last Edit: Sun, 24 Aug 2008, 05:04 by The Dark Knight
??Superman? didn?t quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to. It didn?t position the character the way he needed to be positioned. Had ?Superman? worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009. But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman.?

?Like the recent Batman sequel ? which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far ? Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as ?The Dark Knight.? Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.? DC properties. ?We?re going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it,? he says. That goes for the company?s Superman franchise as well.?

The thing is, he?s literally Superman. There is little or no drama to a man that can?t be hurt. I?d have him still essentially Superman, but more vulnerable. Here are some ideas.

Have Kent having anxiety over his enormous responsibility of the Earth?s protector. Nightmares and bad dreams over worrying about the safety of his friends and planet. Haunt him with people he couldn?t save. Bring in other elements other than kryptonite. Have a bunch of super villains gang up and beat Superman to near death. Superman uses ALL of his powers to no avail. Dark in theme yet still noble and heroic.

Get some villains with psychological warfare that get into Superman?s self doubt. They play to his suppressed ego, bring him into an angry god that snaps to dominate and police the Earth. He could do this at any stage, just that when he is incorruptible and a ?goody two shoes?, he would never do it.

I?d have him in a black suit. A dark reflection of his self. Have it vaguely resembling the Kryptonian Regenerative Bodysuit with the silver S shield. You could throw in a red cape for some traditional flavour. Have the fortress of solitude even more bleak somehow. Have Superman stay there for extended periods of time even. Metropolis can be still bathed in light.

I wouldn't mind at all for our man Burton to take the helm and do his version.  :)

Given that I hate Singerman more than the plague, you can rest assured I was one smilin mofo when I read that bit of news the other day.

As to how to make Superman interesting, it's done (just about) every week on Smallville.  You don't need to plague him with angst and self-loathing and whatnot.

From the various people who are pitching WB on reboot material, I have faith that we'll soon get the Superman film we should have gotten back in 2006.

Fingers crossed (when the middle one isn't up at Singer anyway).

I like the idea of restarting Superman. Now i didn't hate SR it just wasn't very good, but i think he just tryed to hard to make it like the first 2 classic films and that was it's downfall even after all this time Superman:The Movie is still considered to be the greatest superhero movie of all time.

QuoteI?d have him in a black suit. A dark reflection of his self. Have it vaguely resembling the Kryptonian Regenerative Bodysuit with the silver S shield. You could throw in a red cape for some traditional flavour. Have the fortress of solitude even more bleak somehow. Have Superman stay there for extended periods of time even. Metropolis can be still bathed in light.

That's an awesome idea i would really like to see that or at least like the suit Tim Burton had for his Superman with the Blood red cape, Dark blue suit and Sliver S.

Quote from: Sandman on Thu,  4 Sep  2008, 00:39

QuoteI?d have him in a black suit. A dark reflection of his self. Have it vaguely resembling the Kryptonian Regenerative Bodysuit with the silver S shield. You could throw in a red cape for some traditional flavour. Have the fortress of solitude even more bleak somehow. Have Superman stay there for extended periods of time even. Metropolis can be still bathed in light.

That's an awesome idea i would really like to see that or at least like the suit Tim Burton had for his Superman with the Blood red cape, Dark blue suit and Sliver S.
I think so too. It just strikes me as something bold and exciting.

QuoteI think so too. It just strikes me as something bold and exciting
Yes we have seen alot of the goody goody side of Superman it's time to see his dark side.

To me Superman shouldnt be dark. Leave that to Batman.

I liked SR quite a bit myself, though I was always a fan of the Donner films, but I also wouldnt mind seeing a new fresh take on the character either.

The one thing I would like to stay from SR is Routh, I loved him as both Kent and Superman.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

To me this is typical Hollywood garbage. TDK is a monstrous success so now everyone is going to jump on the bandwagon and copy it to try and make a quick buck, hence they want to revamp Superman. The fact is that there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CHARACTER OF SUPERMAN exactly the way he is. The problem is that Superman Returns was a lacklustre movie. That's it in a nutshell! The writing was POOR, and the film was mediocre. I'll tell you what... if the whole film had been as thrilling, and exciting as the airplane scene that film would have done WAY BETTER!

Hopfully they will use Zod again :D.... Bow to zod!!.