Three Freezes!

Started by greggbray, Sun, 9 Sep 2012, 01:13

Previous topic - Next topic
George Sanders, Otto Preminger and Eli Wallach each took at turn as Mr. Freeze.

If I recall correctly, Sanders had died before the second Mr. Freeze episode was filmed, hence the change. 

All three had grand accents (only Preminger's was authentic), but far different appearances in the suit.  Preminger really was the start of the 'blue face' Freeze--both for the screen and for the comics.  In fact, I would go as far to say that Ahnold's Freeze in BandR was as much an influence from Otto Preminger as it was from some of the animated series.

Of the three, my preference is still Sanders.  He's just a terrific actor (they all are, but I've always had a soft spot for him), and brings some interesting shades to the character.   Do any of you have a preference?

I have a soft spot for Wallach - I love The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

But yeah, Sanders was quite special in the role. I didn't realise he died that long again.

I believe he was a bit "awkward" on the set.

I had wondered why they didn't bring Sanders back, he was, sorry, IS the best live action Mr. Freeze IMO. I agree with Paul, Wallach was fun too. I absolutely loathe Preminger's performance. From exclaiming, "Wild!", every five minutes to stroking his ridiculous eyebrows, blechh! The Liberace episode is more entertaining, and I'm not very fond of Liberace or his episode either(even though I get perverse glee out of Aunt Harriet packing heat!)

Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I'm sorry, I actually had made a rash assumption.  He actually died six years later in 1972.

It's not detailed why Sanders left (maybe he only intended to do one guest spot and move onto other things).  Why Preminger did not return is detailed here:

He was by far the most unpopular actor on-set during the show's run. Adam West called him "dispicable" and detailed the experience in his autobiography "Back to the Batcave". The role would later be taken over by Eli Wallach. Alan Napier, who played Alfred Pennyworth in the series, recalled Otto Preminger in an interview: "I had worked before 'Batman' with Awful Otto Preminger in 'Forever Amber' as the English expert and dialogue director. Otto got me mad because if anyone dried up on a close-up, he would say, 'Why don't you concentrate?' Then he comes on the set of 'Batman'. Instead of looking six foot tall, as I thought, he looks five foot tall, because it is now my territory and he is playing Mr. Freeze. It happens that I was on the set while he was doing a series of close-up's. And in everyone of them Otto dried up and it was only because of the gentleman built into my nature that I didn't say: 'Otto, why don't you concentrate?'"

Fron http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Freeze_%28Otto_Preminger%29

So at this point, I am unsure why Sanders left, though given his IMDB page, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001695/

he had been a working actor of stage and screen, and had entered a phase in his career when his popularity was slipping--and he was more or less given villainous roles (generally one spots) on TV programs.  He committed suicide in 1972.

Perhaps I'm mixing up Sanders with Preminger for being difficult?

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Sun,  9 Sep  2012, 20:26
Perhaps I'm mixing up Sanders with Preminger for being difficult?

Nope it was Otto Preminger who was the difficult one. And George Sanders never returned to the series because he was busy with other commitments.

I was dreading seeing Preminger but like John Astin he was better than I expected frankly. He looked more like him with that makeup. Unfortunately he kept uttering "Wild" for some reason lol Shouldn't it have been..."cool"???

As a kid I hated Eli Wallach. Now I've seen things like Magnificent Seven and Godfather Part III so I get him a lot more. I think the story of his episode is terrible. Not strong enough. He might have been better with a better script. But it did have a cute seal!

George Sanders clearly the best. Came across as a real threat in the scene where he has Batman trapped in his heat ray corridor (nice swift 60's effects there too BTW!). Although I must say Mr Freeze is 2nd that comes to my mind when I see him or more appropriately hear his voice. He did after all also voice Shere Khan the tiger in Disney's Jungle Book!