Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (2017)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 3 Mar 2017, 23:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 04:11
Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 02:54
Well this is disappointing and disgusting. I adored those movies, had never heard of the guy before seeing the first one so I wasn't aware of who he was back when, but that is pretty terrible. I get that people can change and I hope he's sincere that he's left that behind, but I'm not going to worry much over him being fired.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 01:13
Only one of those is all that sketchy (eg, the one about the "silly place")... and even that one could have a harmless, though bawdy, intent to it.

When people gripe about PC culture gone amok, this is what they mean.

Are you f***ing sh*tting me?
No. For all I know, he was trading tweets with somebody and they were getting pretty R-rated. Or it's possible that it's exactly what you think it is. If laws were broken (or are being broken), the authorities can handle it. But I don't see what's gained in having little emotional spasms online about tweets which may very well be far divorced from context.

THERE IS NO f***ING CONTEXT IN WHICH JOKES ABOUT SEXUAL ACTS WITH CHILDREN ARE OKAY
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 13:48

To be honest, Disney would be far better advised to simply drop a third GOTG film rather than risk ending up with a subpar effort that tries, and fails, to replicate the previous two films under a new director.  Unfortunately, that does mean that we won't get a payoff to the Adam Warlock storyline set-up during the mid-credits sequence for GOTG2, but we can blame petty, Roseanne Barr-loving alt-right rapist scumbags like Mike Cernovich for that.

It's because of people like him and his ilk that the rest of us can't have nice things.

Yeah your priorities are really in order there. As I said above I loved both movies and was super excited for the third one but I didn't love them enough to sacrifice values of wrong and right to attempt to justify the director joking about SEX ACTS WITH CHILDREN. And it doesn't matter that the other guy is a scumbag in his own right. That doesn't excuse the behavior he pointed out any more than the behavior he pointed out excuses his own actions, which is not at all.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 20:05Yeah your priorities are really in order there. As I said above I loved both movies and was super excited for the third one but I didn't love them enough to sacrifice values of wrong and right to attempt to justify the director joking about SEX ACTS WITH CHILDREN. And it doesn't matter that the other guy is a scumbag in his own right. That doesn't excuse the behavior he pointed out any more than the behavior he pointed out excuses his own actions, which is not at all.
This site is not really the place to have a confessional and talk about one's most awful personal experiences, but all I will say is that I have some personal understanding of this type of abuse, and so I do not take the subject lightly.

That said, James Gunn made some very ugly, ill-advised jokes for which he nevertheless apologised for long before this controversy blew-up.  I know you are, to your credit, speaking reasonably about the topic, but I would still argue that unless a person has committed an act as utterly heinous as actual child abuse, rape, serious sexual assault or murder, they are capable of being forgiven, especially if they have apologised and made it clear that they are now a different person.

Yes, I am partly being selfish as a fan of the GOTG films who would like another one from Janes Gunn, but even if one were to think about this objectively for a moment, who has he actually hurt with his, admittedly offensive and disgusting, old Tweets?  I can't speak for everyone who has been abused as a child, but as awful as his Tweets are I don't know if Gunn has done any real damage to victims.  From what I understand, he has been quite vocal in calling out genuine sex offenders, like James Toback, and child molesters, like Victor Salvo.  I also understand his, misguided jokes, were his, very poor, tactic of bringing the topic out in the open.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Looks like Disney is practicing some Gunn control that's not protected by the 2nd amendment. har har Anyways, I'm not the biggest GOTG fan, or a vocal proponent of Disney's, but they are somewhat consistent in the SJW PC era that's been established and nourished by Hollywood. I'll give em that.

However, I have to be suspicious of a man of 50 yrs old that so obviously dyes his hair and tweets his opinions based solely with emotions. Sure, it's a common trait for alot of people at any age, but I fail to see the "humor" of what he was evidently tweeting about. Humor, or intents and purposes, derives from looking at things from an unusual angle, i.e. looking at the world thru a different light/lens. Now if it's true from what I've heard that the guy has specifically tweeted pedo jokes over 1000 times? .... Yeah, that's an odd duck to say the very least. And I'm not talking about good 'ol Howard either.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 21:44
However, I have to be suspicious of a man of 50 yrs old that so obviously dyes his hair and tweets his opinions based solely with emotions.
How suspicious are you of a man about 70 yrs old that so obviously dyes his hair and tweets his opinions based solely with emotions...?

If we criticise one on those grounds, then surely we have to criticise the other, unless we're using senility to excuse the latter.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 20:05THERE IS NO f***ING CONTEXT IN WHICH JOKES ABOUT SEXUAL ACTS WITH CHILDREN ARE OKAY
Congratulations, you're the most morally outraged person here. We're all highly impressed with your ability to lose all control of yourself. Personally, I'm not really all that interested in joining in with your signalling and self-righteousness though. If he broke the law, he should be arrested. It's no more than he deserves.

Moving away from the emotionally unstable wing of this discussion, it sounds like TDK has read more of the guy's tweets than I have. If there's a trend there, maybe the guy has issues. And, again, if he's breaking the law, he needs to get arrested.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 22:30Congratulations, you're the most morally outraged person here. We're all highly impressed with your ability to lose all control of yourself. Personally, I'm not really all that interested in joining in with your signalling and self-righteousness though. If he broke the law, he should be arrested. It's no more than he deserves.

Moving away from the emotionally unstable wing of this discussion, it sounds like TDK has read more of the guy's tweets than I have. If there's a trend there, maybe the guy has issues. And, again, if he's breaking the law, he needs to get arrested.
Agreed.  If Gunn has committed a crime, he should be arrested.  If not, we should all move on with our lives and, as thecolorsblend says, drop all the 'signalling and self-righteousness'.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 22:30
As said, like you, I don't have a horse in this race. It's funny though. The feral left (who make taking offence an artform) don't like it when their own standards are used against them. People are hounded over historical incidents all the time, even words and not actions. The year of these tweets shouldn't matter by those standards. A tweet made in 2009 means he was 41 years old. 10,000 of these pedophile flavored posts were made. If he said sorry he also should have gone back and deleted them, or more simply, deleted his account to start fresh. But he didn't. Disney has a policy and that policy was enforced. Simple.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 21 Jul  2018, 22:02
How suspicious are you of a man about 70 yrs old that so obviously dyes his hair and tweets his opinions based solely with emotions...?

If we criticise one on those grounds, then surely we have to criticise the other, unless we're using senility to excuse the latter.

criticize

Who are you referring to? Robert De Niro?

Sure. We can speculate about senility like CNN, but you are just going around the rabbit hole with that one.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I wonder if Gunn still holds this belief while discussing that other idiot Roseanne?

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

James Gunn is a hypocrite, but are we saying that no-one should ever get a second chance?  Even if their misdemeanour was committed eight years ago and they've since apologised for it?!?

I'm personally of the opinion that even Roseanne Barr should be permitted a second chance.  Many on the left would no doubt violently disagree with me, but the far left and the far right are full of idiots, and we're seeing a lot of extremists from either side poke up from under their caves to judge all and sundry these days. Sanctimony and self-righteousness is turning into a sport with everyone desperate to prove how morally virtuous and superior they are.

The reason why Roseanne doesn't yet deserve a second chance however is that she made her racist comments very recently, and has showed no remorse or contrition for them.  Everything indicates that she still stands by those comments.  But hypothetically, I do think, whatever some on the far left may say, she should, if she was willing to staunchly take back her racist comments, be allowed to rehabilitate her career.