DC Cinematic Universe Plans Announced

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 15 Oct 2014, 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Thu,  6 Aug  2015, 09:29
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 22:55
I mean, I'll grant that they should've made that decision earlier in the process. Methinks MS Johnson would've rolled with it. But I certainly understand their point of view there. If anything, there's a strong argument their reluctance was very well justified considering how that movie did at the box office.

That's the problem, MSJ shot the film as an R rated film and then at the 11th hour once spider-man made all that money, Marvel got greedy and decided to turn it into a toyetic PG production. It would have been fine if they decided that in pre-production but it was unfair to make him recut the film.

I think you mean 20th Century Fox. They were the studio that produced Daredevil, along with X-Men, Elektra and Fantastic Four.

Back to Affleck, you'd think fans would learn to quit whining about this sort of thing. Keaton proved every one wrong, Heath Ledgers casting was heavily criticized at the time as the Joker (and I know not everyone here enjoys that interpretation but there's not much doubt he held his own in the role). Chris Evans casting was criticized as Captain America, even some had doubts RDJ was bankable as Tony Stark.

I've seen a lot of people who have always hated Affleck well before the Batman casting. I've noticed that a lot of these people's point of reference are movies like Daredevil (which like I said before, it wasn't even that bad), Gigli and tons of mediocre stuff. And that Assflecks South Park episode made it "cool" to hate him.

In other words, the naysayers are still stuck in 2003. I get the impression that a lot of them haven't watched Argo, The Town or even Hollywoodland, where Affleck excelled as the depressed George Reeves desperately trying to find relevance in the entertainment industry other than being remembered as playing Superman.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu,  6 Aug  2015, 09:59
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 22:55
I mean, I'll grant that they should've made that decision earlier in the process. Methinks MS Johnson would've rolled with it. But I certainly understand their point of view there. If anything, there's a strong argument their reluctance was very well justified considering how that movie did at the box office.

That's the problem, MSJ shot the film as an R rated film and then at the 11th hour once spider-man made all that money, Marvel got greedy and decided to turn it into a toyetic PG production. It would have been fine if they decided that in pre-production but it was unfair to make him recut the film.

I think you mean 20th Century Fox. They were the studio that produced Daredevil, along with X-Men, Elektra and Fantastic Four.

Back to Affleck, you'd think fans would learn to quit whining about this sort of thing. Keaton proved every one wrong, Heath Ledgers casting was heavily criticized at the time as the Joker (and I know not everyone here enjoys that interpretation but there's not much doubt he held his own in the role). Chris Evans casting was criticized as Captain America, even some had doubts RDJ was bankable as Tony Stark.

I've seen a lot of people who have always hated Affleck well before the Batman casting. I've noticed that a lot of these people's point of reference are movies like Daredevil (which like I said before, it wasn't even that bad), Gigli and tons of mediocre stuff. And that Assflecks South Park episode made it "cool" to hate him.

In other words, the naysayers are still stuck in 2003. I get the impression that a lot of them haven't watched Argo, The Town or even Hollywoodland, where Affleck excelled as the depressed George Reeves desperately trying to find relevance in the entertainment industry other than being remembered as playing Superman.

Weren't the Keaton criticisms stemming from Beetlejuice and Mr. Mom?

Affleck hit a rut starting around 2003 but that doesn't make him a terrible actor. Do people honestly believe any other actor could have saved Gigli? Surviving Christmas was pretty bad but he's never been all that good at comedy unless paired with Kevin Smith. The only bad film he's done in the last 10 years is Runner Runner, people need to get over their hate. He's had a lot of impressive serious credits since then. Gone girl is a personal favourite of mine.

I didn't mean to start a debate about Ben Affleck but I brought it up because him being in Daredevil was about the only thing that I heard many people held against him being Batman, and I don't even think he was that bad in that film to begin with.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri,  7 Aug  2015, 09:43
I didn't mean to start a debate about Ben Affleck but I brought it up because him being in Daredevil was about the only thing that I heard many people held against him being Batman, and I don't even think he was that bad in that film to begin with.

Well it's certainly relevant to the film. I don't think daredevil is the reason Affleck got so much hate, it just provided ammo for the anti-affleck clan that the film wasn't overly well received.

I think Affleck is a much better fit for Batman than Daredevil anyway.  Maybe there are some people who don't see much difference between the characters, but Matt Murdoch has always struck me as more of an underdog type in contrast to Bruce Wayne, the quintessential wealthy playboy.  Affleck has a great deal more substance and gravitas to his acting than many people give him credit for, and will be able to mine genuine depth from the part, but in terms of his persona, he does seem more like the handsome bachelor-socialite than the struggling Hells Kitchen lawyer.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

There are reports Affleck's BvS performance received a standing ovation, and executives want him to do a trilogy of solo Batman films, as well as his Justice League and Suicide Squad appearances.

That would be awesome.

Any idea whether Affleck's solo Batman films will be sequels or prequels to BvS?  My fear is that sequels could be quite limiting bearing in mind that Affleck's Batman is already many years into his crime-fighting career in BvS and has already put away several villains.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

No idea at this stage, but I'd prefer them to be set in the current day. Keep the new universe moving forward, linking in with one another.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri,  7 Aug  2015, 09:43

No worries Edd, as riddler says, the casting is relevant to the topic, and everybody's more open-minded about Affleck in the role than elsewhere on the 'net. So I wouldn't really call it a debate.

Quote from: riddler on Fri,  7 Aug  2015, 09:38
Weren't the Keaton criticisms stemming from Beetlejuice and Mr. Mom?

Affleck hit a rut starting around 2003 but that doesn't make him a terrible actor. Do people honestly believe any other actor could have saved Gigli? Surviving Christmas was pretty bad but he's never been all that good at comedy unless paired with Kevin Smith. The only bad film he's done in the last 10 years is Runner Runner, people need to get over their hate. He's had a lot of impressive serious credits since then. Gone girl is a personal favourite of mine.

I think the difference between Keaton and Affleck was that Keaton was highly praised in his other roles. And you're right about Affleck being good in Gone Girl, but the standout in that movie for me would have to be Rosamund Pike, who played his sociopathic, manipulative wife. What an excellent performance!

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri,  7 Aug  2015, 11:15
I think Affleck is a much better fit for Batman than Daredevil anyway.  Maybe there are some people who don't see much difference between the characters, but Matt Murdoch has always struck me as more of an underdog type in contrast to Bruce Wayne, the quintessential wealthy playboy.  Affleck has a great deal more substance and gravitas to his acting than many people give him credit for, and will be able to mine genuine depth from the part, but in terms of his persona, he does seem more like the handsome bachelor-socialite than the struggling Hells Kitchen lawyer.

I think you're quite right johnny. And besides, Charlie Cox works better as the local boy from a rundown neighborhood anyway. As you say, Affleck does have that billionaire vibe more so, and fits the description of Bruce Wayne as a socialite.

If the rumours about BVS being a hit and Affleck's performance being stellar among the executives are true, that's exciting to here, and gives me hope that we'll be getting a real Dark Knight Trilogy.

I do have one gripe about the rumour though:

Warner is said to be so impressed with Affleck's performance as Batman that it's apparently in the process of making an extended, "Golden deal", which could see the actor play the Caped Crusader in a trilogy of stand-alone movies, not the single outing already announced.

All told, this deal could see Affleck in the role of Batman for the next 10 years or so.

"Basically, Warners are now working their movie universe around Ben's Batman," our source says.

As far as Warner's bosses are concerned, Affleck is considered to be the "definitive Batman" and could be the hub around which the DC movie universe will rotate in future movies.

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/batman-v-superman/36495/report-ben-affleck-to-star-in-3-stand-alone-batman-movies#ixzz3iCbPcVn1

As much as we love Batman around here, I hope this doesn't mean he'll be stealing the spotlight away from the other Justice League heroes. In my opinion, Avengers were successful because nearly all the members of the team had a chance to shine and have their moment. If JL did the opposite, I think the films will suffer.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

on the subject of JLA putting Batman as the focal character;

Let's wait and see how it shakes out before criticizing. Prior to the avengers, some had concerns that it would be more of an 'iron man and friends' film but they gave equal screen time. Marvel likely realized that while IM was the most popular avenger, he had an extra film than the rest so it was important to spread the wealth and establish them as a team vs. one major hero with a bunch of sidekicks.

With Batman getting so many films, hopefully DC does the same here. It seems like they are FINALLY getting things right for the first time in years so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.