DC Cinematic Universe Plans Announced

Started by BatmAngelus, Wed, 15 Oct 2014, 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic
The one thing I find kind of troublesome; didn't affleck turn down directing Man of steel because he felt he wasn't experienced at shooting action?

I'm almost positive this has never been done before; a director starring in a super hero film. The closest we've come is Warren Beatey in Dick Tracey. I'm confident in Affleck as a director, so far he's never dropped the ball there but my goodness they're putting a lot of stock in him. Luckily he is a big comic fan. I am happy for him I think he got a raw deal with Daredevil and Marvel having WB-like greed scaling it back from an R rating to PG in post production.

I'm surprised nobody posted the news about the Green Lantern reboot that was announced at Comic-Con nearly a month ago.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/11/8933817/green-lantern-corps-title-warner-bros-sdcc-2015
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  2 Jul  2015, 10:25
I'm confident in Affleck as a director, so far he's never dropped the ball there but my goodness they're putting a lot of stock in him. Luckily he is a big comic fan. I am happy for him I think he got a raw deal with Daredevil and Marvel having WB-like greed scaling it back from an R rating to PG in post production.
Affleck's presence in the new series is largely what excites me, to be honest. We once again have an American actor playing an American role. Sure, it's not necessary - case in point Henry Cavill and Andrew Garfield. But I think it's preferable if possible. And aesthetically....I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's the best looking Bruce Wayne, and the most instantly identifiable looking Bruce Wayne of the lot. Keaton and West included, even if they have the advantage of years worth of prior content and public familiarity in the role. But as time goes on, I'm confident Affleck will have that. He's bound to be starring in a lot more films than Keaton and Bale combined, for starters.

I just think he has the necessary ingredients to succeed. He has the body mass, and importantly, I can believe him as a public figure, a playboy and billionaire, as well as a crime fighter by night. I think the image below personifies this well.

I disagree with the guy on certain topics in real life, but hey, I find him pretty likeable overall. I think he's ready, willing and able to be an ambassador for the brand. As a director he hasn't put a foot wrong yet, so that gives me hope.

I'm excited.

I'm not very familiar with his other work, but I don't understand why there was so much "hate" when Affleck was cast as Batman. Just because he wasn't well liked as Daredevil in 2003?

I mean, he really looks like Bruce Wayne.

If you ask me, he was rather one of the best parts in Daredevil. No idea why people think he was so terrible in that movie. I wouldn't say it was a great performance, but it was still solid.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 14:17
If you ask me, he was rather one of the best parts in Daredevil. No idea why people think he was so terrible in that movie. I wouldn't say it was a great performance, but it was still solid.

That was at the time where it was cool to hate on Affleck. I've touted the directors cut several times, it's too bad Marvel got greedy but at least they learned their lesson and moved on.
I enjoyed what I saw from Affleck in the trailer. He's taken the role seriously .

re: Green lantern, I thought it was announced a while ago the new film would happen in 2020?

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  2 Jul  2015, 10:25The one thing I find kind of troublesome; didn't affleck turn down directing Man of steel because he felt he wasn't experienced at shooting action?
That may have been his official reason but the truth is he might simply have not been interested. But that's no way to win friends and influence people so he chalked it up to being inexperienced in the genre.

People invent BS excuses all the time for not doing stuff. George Lucas took an incredible amount of crap for not hiring Lawrence Kasdan to write (or co-write) Episode I. But, um, he tried. And Kasdan's official answer is he believed it was George's movie and he should write it himself. What I personally think is Kasdan had retired from work-for-hire type stuff and only wrote movies he would direct. He just didn't want to write more Star Wars but the more politic way of phrasing it is to appeal to another filmmaker's vanity. "This is your baby, YOU should do it".

Happens all the time. Nobody wants to hear and nobody wants to say "Thanks but no thanks, I'm just not interested" in Hollyweird.

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  2 Jul  2015, 10:25I'm almost positive this has never been done before; a director starring in a super hero film. The closest we've come is Warren Beatey in Dick Tracey. I'm confident in Affleck as a director, so far he's never dropped the ball there but my goodness they're putting a lot of stock in him. Luckily he is a big comic fan.
So they say. I'm all for it from the angle that there's at least the perception that Batman gets progressively less and less emphasis and screen time in each sequel that comes along. Whether or not that's actually true, Affleck is an actor and an actor's natural tendency is to put the spotlight on themselves. So if nothing else, Affleck will keep each production honest in terms of how involved Batman is with the story.

But yes, this is nigh unprecedented. From the sounds of it he's writing, directing and starring in his own superhero franchise. To the best of my knowledge, this has never been attempted before... and may never again if his movie doesn't do so well.

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  2 Jul  2015, 10:25I am happy for him I think he got a raw deal with Daredevil and Marvel having WB-like greed scaling it back from an R rating to PG in post production.
And...

Quote from: riddler on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 22:33That was at the time where it was cool to hate on Affleck. I've touted the directors cut several times, it's too bad Marvel got greedy but at least they learned their lesson and moved on.
You don't understand why a movie studio might be a little hesitant about sinking tens of millions of dollars into an R-rated film about an at best C-list character in the public mind? Really?

I mean, I'll grant that they should've made that decision earlier in the process. Methinks MS Johnson would've rolled with it. But I certainly understand their point of view there. If anything, there's a strong argument their reluctance was very well justified considering how that movie did at the box office.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 14:09
I'm not very familiar with his other work, but I don't understand why there was so much "hate" when Affleck was cast as Batman. Just because he wasn't well liked as Daredevil in 2003?

I mean, he really looks like Bruce Wayne.
I think the backlash was due to his casting being totally unexpected. People didn't even have him on their radar. Much like Keaton, it's not until people see a little more news and footage do they begin to come around to the idea.

Quote from: riddler on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 22:33

re: Green lantern, I thought it was announced a while ago the new film would happen in 2020?

And it was announced that it will be called Green Lantern Corps, so it's likely that there will be more than one Green Lantern from Earth. I think it's a nice creative decision.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  3 Aug  2015, 22:55
I mean, I'll grant that they should've made that decision earlier in the process. Methinks MS Johnson would've rolled with it. But I certainly understand their point of view there. If anything, there's a strong argument their reluctance was very well justified considering how that movie did at the box office.

That's the problem, MSJ shot the film as an R rated film and then at the 11th hour once spider-man made all that money, Marvel got greedy and decided to turn it into a toyetic PG production. It would have been fine if they decided that in pre-production but it was unfair to make him recut the film.

Back to Affleck, you'd think fans would learn to quit whining about this sort of thing. Keaton proved every one wrong, Heath Ledgers casting was heavily criticized at the time as the Joker (and I know not everyone here enjoys that interpretation but there's not much doubt he held his own in the role). Chris Evans casting was criticized as Captain America, even some had doubts RDJ was bankable as Tony Stark.