"Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"

Started by Seantastic, Sun, 17 Apr 2011, 21:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  3 Sep  2012, 01:48
Clarity is possible. At least when it comes to this, I have no hesitation in saying the older movies are more fun because there's nothing really fun about the Nolan trilogy. He sucked all the fun from all things Batman. Let's face it, there's a certain fun factor about Batman. The costume, the playboy thing, the cool cars, the house, the gadgets, the superhero escapades. Love or hate what Schumacher did, he at least understood what he was up to in making Batman films.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll take the flaws and weaknesses of Schumacher's movies over the flaws and weaknesses of Nolan's.
I've got to admit, reading your posts about the positives of the Schumacherverse have become infectious.

This weekend I will endeavour to watch them both on Blu-ray and pay closer attention.

Mon, 3 Sep 2012, 05:32 #21 Last Edit: Mon, 3 Sep 2012, 05:35 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  3 Sep  2012, 05:13I've got to admit, reading your posts about the positives of the Schumacherverse have become infectious.

This weekend I will endeavour to watch them both on Blu-ray and pay closer attention.
Very cool.

At some point, I would recommend reading http://www.batman-online.com/features/2012/7/26/in-defense-of-the-neon-knight-where-schumachers-batman-succeeded by Doc Lathrop Brown himself. If I'm thinking of the right guy, he and I had whatever passes as the online equivalent of a fist fight over at The Other Forum when he advanced a defense of Schumacher's movies. I didn't even want to give his opinions any input but, man oh man, I think he's a lot closer to the mark than I was back in those days. Brown basically says there's a difference between "humor" and "camp". To my shame, I never made that acknowledgement in watching these movies. Humor makes you smile while camp is a mode of performance. Bray could probably offer a better breakdown of the two than I could though.

To end this blabber fest, I find that the four movies actually work very well if I think of the Burton films as their own thing, the conclusion of which is Batman Returns. Schumacher's films are a continuation of Burton's Batman... but Burton's Batman doesn't continue on into the Schumacherverse... if that makes any sense at all. A parallel universe or something.