The Perfect Order to Watch the Star Wars Saga

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 13 Apr 2017, 20:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's a fun feature from 'Empire Magazine': http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-best-order-watch-movies/

I've always wondered how I will introduce my young nephew (and my own hypothetical children) to the Star Wars films, now we have the prequels and the current run of Episodes VIII to IX.

Surprisingly, there's no mention of Rogue One, although I appreciate that it's a spin-off rather than part of the overall saga.

But my personal preference has always been the so-called 'Ernst Rister Order': IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII, VIII, IX.

I like building up to the Episode V reveal (i.e. "I am your father") and the cliff-hanger in which all the various characters are at their lowest point, and then going back in time to discover how Anakin became Vader, which in turn sets up his redemption come Episode VI, quite nicely.

What does everyone else think?  Do you prefer chronological order, or the order in which the films were released, or something else entirely?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Funnily enough, I just had this conversation with my brother about three weeks ago. We were trying to decide in what order we should present the saga to my nephew when he's old enough to watch them (he only just turned 3 last Tuesday, so it won't be for a few more years yet). We agreed the best way would be the classic OT–PT–NT production order that they came out in. However, I did read an interesting alternative viewing order suggested on a website last year. It's similar to the Ernst Rister order mentioned in that Empire article, except with one slight difference.

Basically this one proposes you start with Episodes I and II, then leap ahead to Episodes IV and V, then go back to Episode III, then Episodes VI and VII. This order does actually make a lot of sense for first time viewers.

Episode II ends with Anakin and Obi-Wan as friends. They're both Jedi Knights. Anakin has just gotten married, so the door is open to him having a son. It's the age of the Republic, before the dark times of the Empire. And the Clone Wars have just kicked off. This is consistent with everything Ben tells Luke in Episode IV.

We then skip from Episode II to Episode IV where the viewer learns a new character, Darth Vader, has killed Anakin. Furthermore Vader helped hunt down the Jedi, which in turn facilitated the rise of the Empire. But we still don't know who the Emperor really is or where the Empire came from.

The pieces start to fall into place in Episode V. Now we get the shocking plot twist than Anakin and Vader are one and the same. That's not true. That's impossible! How could this have happened? We have to go back to Episode III to find out. Episode III also establishes that Leia and Luke are siblings, which makes the plot twist in Episode VI feel less abrupt. Going from Episode III to Episode VI also works in term of referencing Padme. Luke and Leia's mother is never even mentioned in Episodes IV and V, but they do discuss her in Episode VI. This conversation has more resonance if you've just witnessed Padme's fate in Episode III.

If we view the films in this order, then we'll have only briefly seen the Emperor once in Episode V. This creates another shocking twist in Episode III where we learn that the friendly old man Palpatine from Episodes I and II is in fact the same grotesque tyrant we glimpsed in Episode V. Palpatine only really has a strong presence as the Emperor in Episodes III and VI, so it makes sense to watch these two back to back. There's also a lot of symmetry between Episodes III and VI with regards to Anakin and Luke both being drawn to the Dark Side. Episode III ends on a dark note, while Episode VI ends on a redemptive one.

Nowadays I generally prefer to watch the movies in chronological order (I-II-II-RO-IV-V-VI-VII). But if I was showing them to someone for the very first time, and that person didn't know that Anakin was Vader, then this nonlinear viewing order (I-II-IV-V-III-VI-VII) might be more effective. If you watch the films in this sequence, then Vader remains a frightening villain throughout Episodes IV and V. He doesn't start to become humanised until you see his tragic origin in Episode III.

From a narrative POV, the order you've suggested is appealing...the problem is, it means you have to start off with Episode I, and I fear that could turn-off any newbie to the Star Wars saga for life...

Then again, that particular film was made for kids, so perhaps our respective nephews (mine is two and will turn three this summer) will appreciate it more than those of us initially reared on Episodes IV to VI.

The chronological order is also appealing, even though it once again means one must start off with arguably the worst film in the entire series, as it quite seamlessly allows Rogue One to be incorporated between Episodes III and IV.  But the other problem, of course, is that the big 'I am your father' reveal is no longer quite the twist it was for us who first came to the movies in release date order.

So on balance, I'm still leaning towards the Ernst Rister order as far as introducing newbies to the saga goes, even if it means that one has to treat RO as an independent spin-off to be seen after at least the first six numbered instalments.

Time was I used to be a 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6 man.

But realistically, the best way to go is probably the unaltered 4, 5 and 6 and the trailers for 1, 2 and 3.

That's my Star Wars canon... though I'd be willing to consider adding in selections from A Musical Journey to round the prequels out a bit more.

The prequels work best for me as suggestions and glimpses instead feature-length narratives. The prequel storyline as Lucas presented it really isn't friendly to making three films. So why bother? Why not just hit the high points of each movie and skip most of that dialogue altogether?

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 13 Apr  2017, 22:22From a narrative POV, the order you've suggested is appealing...the problem is, it means you have to start off with Episode I, and I fear that could turn-off any newbie to the Star Wars saga for life...

That's a point. But the upside to that viewing order would be the films generally improving as you go along. Someone might watch Episodes I and II and wonder what all the fuss is about, then become intrigued by the darker plot developments in Episode III, and finally have their mind blown by the OT.

Or they might just throw in the towel after seeing Jar Jar...

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 13 Apr  2017, 22:22Then again, that particular film was made for kids, so perhaps our respective nephews (mine is two and will turn three this summer) will appreciate it more than those of us initially reared on Episodes IV to VI.

I do wonder if a child watching the PT for the first time would be bothered by the same problems that irritate us older fans who saw the OT first. Might a child seeing Phantom Menace for the first time even find Jar Jar funny? Might they prefer the flashy overchoreographed duels of the PT to the more grounded fight scenes from the OT?

As uncles, it's our responsibility to make sure our nephews aren't blindsided by the superficial appeal of the PT to the extent that they fail to appreciate the more substantial narrative value of the OT. If they grow up hating Jar Jar and worshiping Vader, then we'll know we've done right by them.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 14 Apr  2017, 07:37But realistically, the best way to go is probably the unaltered 4, 5 and 6 and the trailers for 1, 2 and 3.

If only they'd release the unaltered versions in HD with the correct screen ratio. I've got a sneaking suspicion Lucas may have inserted a clause into the contract when he sold the rights to Disney, prohibiting them from ever releasing HD copies of the unaltered OT. I honestly wouldn't put it past him.

On the subject of viewing order, would anyone include the 2008 Clone Wars animated film in their marathon? I was one of the few people who actually bothered to see that on the cinema when it first came out. It was a theatrically-released entry in the franchise, it holds a similar spinoff status as Rogue One, and it is still technically canon. Would you bother including it? Or should the spinoffs be assembled into a separate viewing order for when fans have completed the main saga? And if so, should the now-apocryphal Ewok movies be included?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 14 Apr  2017, 22:42If only they'd release the unaltered versions in HD with the correct screen ratio. I've got a sneaking suspicion Lucas may have inserted a clause into the contract when he sold the rights to Disney, prohibiting them from ever releasing HD copies of the unaltered OT. I honestly wouldn't put it past him.
Nor would I. But if he's selling his property to Disney, I don't know how forbidding them from selling things which will become their property could possibly be enforceable. Maybe it is. I'm no lawyer. But I can't see how that's possible.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 14 Apr  2017, 22:42On the subject of viewing order, would anyone include the 2008 Clone Wars animated film in their marathon? I was one of the few people who actually bothered to see that on the cinema when it first came out. It was a theatrically-released entry in the franchise, it holds a similar spinoff status as Rogue One, and it is still technically canon. Would you bother including it? Or should the spinoffs be assembled into a separate viewing order for when fans have completed the main saga? And if so, should the now-apocryphal Ewok movies be included?
I still haven't seen the 2008 Clone Wars film (it's interesting that despite being SW related, it did very poorly at the box-office).  Is it worth seeing?

As for the Ewok films, if we're going to include them, we might as well include The Star Wars Holiday Special, right? ;)  And how about the "Ewoks" and "Droids" animated series?  That said, I do have some fun, no doubt nostalgia-tinged, memories of Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure.

Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 20:49 #7 Last Edit: Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 20:51 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 17 Apr  2017, 00:03I still haven't seen the 2008 Clone Wars film (it's interesting that despite being SW related, it did very poorly at the box-office).  Is it worth seeing?

Eh, not really. It was edited together from the first few episodes of the TV series, and the welding lines are painfully obvious. The whole thing is rigidly episodic, disjointed and lacking in clear dramatic flow. One thing I disliked about the PT was how the Jedi were overpowered to an extent that frequently undermined the threat posed by the villains. The Clone Wars movie has this exact same problem. You never feel like the heroes are in any real jeopardy (with the notable exception of the finale), so most of the action scenes – while pretty to look at – aren't very suspenseful or dramatically engaging.

The film introduces several new characters that are important to the TV show, including Ahsoka Tano and Ziro the Hutt. But none of these characters has a complete character arc. Rather they have the beginning of an arc, which is then continued in the TV series. In effect, the movie is a pilot for the TV show rather than a self-contained theatrical experience. If you've seen the TV series, you'll recall there were teething problems throughout the first season. All of those issues are present in the film. The tone follows the juvenile precedent established by Episodes I and II, with lots of light-hearted banter and slapstick battle droids. But I can't really fault it on that score, since it is meant to be aimed at kids.

Despite these flaws, The Clone Wars also has its good points. There's an inventive set piece involving a vertical battle on the side of a cliff, and the last fifteen or twenty minutes of the movie are reasonably absorbing and suspenseful. The animation is vibrant, there are lots of imaginative new visuals (it doesn't simply rehash the iconography from the other films the way the recent Star Wars movies have been accused of doing) and the voice cast is also solid. Several actors from the films reprise their roles, including Anthony Daniels, Samuel L. Jackson, Christopher Lee and Matthew Wood. Being a big fan of Lee, I was particularly pleased to hear him play Dooku again. Darth Tyrannus is given a meatier role in The Clone Wars than he had in Episodes II or III, allowing Lee to explore the more devious Machiavellian side of the character that was only hinted at in the PT. He also has a duel with Anakin at the end of the movie which serves as an interesting '2nd round' to their battles in Episodes II and III.

I definitely wouldn't recommend The Clone Wars to someone who wasn't a Star Wars fan. Prequel aficionados will probably get the most out of it (FWIW I'm definitely an OT fan, but I'm still very fond of Revenge of the Sith). I didn't like it myself when I first saw it on the big screen, though I subsequently read Karen Traviss' novelisation and that made me appreciate the film more when I watched it on DVD. But if you have to read the novelisation in order to enjoy the film, then how good a movie was it to begin with?

For Star Wars fans, I'd rate The Clone Wars a 4/10 at best. For everyone else, it's more like a 3/10. It's still better than The Holiday Special though. And the TV series that followed it was vastly superior.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 17 Apr  2017, 00:03As for the Ewok films, if we're going to include them, we might as well include The Star Wars Holiday Special, right? ;)  And how about the "Ewoks" and "Droids" animated series?  That said, I do have some fun, no doubt nostalgia-tinged, memories of Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure.

Ugh. The Holiday Special. I would describe that film as unwatchable... except I've watched it right the way through on two separate occasions. I've seen the Ewok films quite a few times. I don't think either of them is very good, but they have an innocent charm that's somewhat endearing. I prefer The Battle for Endor over Caravan of Courage, but they're both fun in their own way.

I have very vague memories of watching Droids back in the late eighties. I think I might even have watched it before I saw the live action films. I didn't see the Ewoks animated series until I was a teenager, and by then I was too old and cynical to get into it. But I do have a nostalgic soft spot for the Droids cartoon.

I guess the proper viewing order for spinoff feature films would be:

•   Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) – set between Episodes II and III
•   Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) – set between Episodes III and IV
•   Star Wars Holiday Special (1978) – set between Episodes IV and V
•   Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure (1984) – set between Episodes V and VI
•   Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985) – set between Episodes V and VI

Of these films, only The Clone Wars and Rogue One are still canon. They're also the only two that were released theatrically.

I think it's interesting to see Anakin as a young kid. As a slave. It does make his journey more complete. And the fact Anakin becomes a slave again as an adult, encased in his suit and serving the Emperor, makes Vader more layered.

I think TPM has merit for simply being a rather enjoyable watch. Attack of the Clones is dull and in my opinion, the worst in the franchise. However, things really kick into gear with Revenge of the Sith. The closer we get to the Original Trilogy timeline the better everything gets. So I'm willing to go without TPM and AOTC if push comes to shove. My viewing order is:

Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens

I loved Rogue One and I think it gets better with each viewing. I like that they didn't cop out. All of the characters are killed and they become tragic, forgotten heroes. Rogue One makes A New Hope a better film as far as I am concerned. There's other reasons, but the big one is the Death Star's weak spot being a deliberate plot point and not a conveniently dumb goof by the Empire.

Chirrut Imwe is not a Jedi, but for me, he's a much better character than any Jedi we see in the prequel trilogy. His dialogue is golden. "Let them pass in peace." "All is as the Force wills it." And so on. He's wise, kicks ass in combat and is at peace with himself. The fact he's blind is what I really dig. The guy is in tune with the Force and the Force is all about spirituality. Sensing things. Acting from within and mastering your reflexes. He doesn't need eyes to see. He's not a Jedi, but isn't that what the religion of the Force is all about?

Favourites are the so-called Machette order (4-5-2-3-6), release order, and sometimes chronological by episode numbers.

IV must always be the first IMO for people who haven't been exposed to I-VI: it's the one where most SW concepts are introduced, and can also be enjoyed as a stand-alone adventure. It doesn't require knowledge from the rest of the movies, it ends without any sort of cliffhanger.

There's a lot of good material in the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series but since it may not be everyone's cup of tea (not a big fan of the animation style, personally), better refer to an episode guide or a few articles for seeking some great episodes involving characters from the films like Maul, Vader, Kenobi etc.