TAS too mature for kids?

Started by batass4880, Thu, 29 Jan 2009, 21:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Whenever I watch this show, I think two things--

- This show rocks
- This show would bore kids

Did anyone watch this show as a kid? If so, did you find it to be a little to mature for your liking? Should this show have been on weekday afternoons next to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers or should it have been on during primetime or HBO?

Thu, 29 Jan 2009, 21:40 #1 Last Edit: Thu, 29 Jan 2009, 21:56 by The Batman Returns
I would watch this show every afternoon as a wee lad, along w/ other Fox Kids shows (MMPR, the Tick, X-Men, etc.). I was actually able to understand the plots of each episode as well, I kid you not.;) To this day, I regard B:TAS to not only be the best Batman show, but also the best animated show of all time! ;D

Also, I find it hard to believe that it would bore little kids. My 7 yr. old brother loves most of the Bruce Timm cartoons.

I've only watched this show a few times when it was on Fox when I was in middle and high school but my overall knowledge on Batman was pea-sized at the time and I just dismissed the series as a "Saturday morning" version of Tim Burton's movies. I never watched more than 20 minutes of the show until about five years ago.

After doing my homework on the legacy, I was actually able to sit through and not only appreciate it but enjoy it and realize this show would be more suited for adults, IMO.

Thu, 29 Jan 2009, 22:07 #3 Last Edit: Thu, 29 Jan 2009, 22:17 by The Batman Returns
Quote from: batass4880 on Thu, 29 Jan  2009, 22:04
After doing my homework on the legacy, I was actually able to sit through and not only appreciate it but enjoy it and realize this show would be more suited for adults, IMO.

Bruce Timm & the rest of the team said that it wasn't a kids show, but if there were kid viewers, it was fine w/ them. I loved the show, & its appeal hasn't died down.

Like I said before, B:TAS is the best Batman show ever made, PERIOD! Take no substitutes. ;D

I loved it.  I might've enjoyed a few more fights (I always loved seeing Batman scrap down) but overall I dug it.

Haha, pretty much every commentary episode I have watched on the DVDs has one of the producers or whoever is commentating state something along the lines of "I can't believe we got away with that" or "I can't believe they let us do that". This show works as a kids show, but it has a lot of adult tones and levels. I think of it kind of like Spawn the animated series without graphic violence or swearing.

BTAS is one of the finest Batman things, ever. I love it.

I watched it when I was in middle school with my brother who was in elementary school. So it certainly wasn't too "mature" for kids.

That's what bothers me about people who defend the inferior "The Batman" by saying that it's not supposed to be for adults.

Well, BTAS wasn't supposed to be for adults either. But the stories were complex and well-written so adults ended up appreciating it as much, if not more so, than kids.

In the interest of fairness, I should note that I missed the last few seasons of "The Batman" when it supposedly got better. I'll try to catch those episodes one of these days...

Quote from: phantom stranger on Fri, 30 Jan  2009, 07:48
In the interest of fairness, I should note that I missed the last few seasons of "The Batman" when it supposedly got better. I'll try to catch those episodes one of these days...
"Don't bother!"

Fri, 30 Jan 2009, 12:21 #9 Last Edit: Fri, 30 Jan 2009, 12:23 by The Batman Returns
The Batman is actually entertaining. It makes up for Batman Beyond by a mile, I'll leave it at that. :)