Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like Batman Forever?

Yes
27 (73%)
No
10 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Fri, 6 Nov 2009, 22:24 Last Edit: Fri, 6 Nov 2009, 23:25 by batass4880
Do your positive feelings about Forever outweigh your negative feelings or vice verse?

I was 7 when this came out, I'm sure I watched the first two aswell but this is the one I grew up with and remember the most,I have always liked it. Sure as I got older I disliked some parts but I have to say it is still my favorite Batman movie after all these years.

The positive parts definetely outweigh the negative ones.

I voted 'yes' on balance, which may appear contrary to some of my previous opinions on it.  However, my tendency to run down this film has more to do with the disappointment I felt upon seeing this following the brilliant Burton Batman films, and less to do with the actual quality of the film.  It's entertaining enough and I've seen it quite a few times.

Do I think it's a worthy follow-up to Batman Returns?  Hell, NO!  Do I think it's enteraining on its own terms?  Yep, pretty much.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

it's hard (IMO) not to like BF.  If you get hung up on the camp in it then you are missing out on the fun of it.

sure it borrows much from B89 (as do most of the others) and hasn't aged well to many but it was a product of it's time - much like B89

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri,  6 Nov  2009, 23:05
I voted 'yes' on balance, which may appear contrary to some of my previous opinions on it.  However, my tendency to run down this film has more to do with the disappointment I felt upon seeing this following the brilliant Burton Batman films, and less to do with the actual quality of the film.  It's entertaining enough and I've seen it quite a few times.

Do I think it's a worthy follow-up to Batman Returns?  Hell, NO!  Do I think it's enteraining on its own terms?  Yep, pretty much.

exactly! standing alone all the burton or shumacher movies are good (even batman and robin and don't deny it).

I give this movie a hard time, mostly because it robbed me of a third Burton vehicle, but when all is said and done, and if you can get over Jim Carey (I can  deal with Tommy Lee just fine) it's really not a terrible piece of cinema, and I can safely say that yeah, I like it okay.

Sat, 7 Nov 2009, 03:34 #7 Last Edit: Sat, 7 Nov 2009, 10:01 by The Dark Knight
Everybody knows where I stand.

60s Batman was dumb, but campy in a self aware way. They knew what they were doing was silly and were ok with that. It was perfect for what it was trying to be.

Forever took all the dumb stuff from Adam West's show, ignored the self aware ironic tone, and basically tried to make it feel important and 'real.'

It had no idea what it wanted to be.

Everything is just a precursor to more nonsense in Batman and Robin. The over-the-top acting, the goofy production designs, etc.

Tommy Lee Jones is a great choice for a serious Two-Face. But they wanted a goofy Two-Face. Jones is the exact wrong choice for that role. The whole movie is like that...taking things that could be great and doing them exactly wrong.

Tommy Lee was acting crazy because he didnt want to be upstaged by Jim Carrey, and Carrey seemed to be trying to out do the Joker. Both were so big and loud that they didn't actually need a second villain.

And some folks must be distracted by all the flashy neon color to not notice just how incredibly cheesy and awful the writing is.

I like it better than Nolan's films, sure they it isn't the best, for me that goes to Returns, but after Returns and '89 I'd say Forever's my 3rd favourite

Yeah, Batman Forever is fun stuff, despite it urinating on Batman and totally trashing everything we once held dear.

I have no idea what WB was thinking when they came up with the idea behind this film.

It might (a big might) have been alright if the film had come later in the series, but it just doesn?t work as a follow up to Batman Returns.

What could (and should) have been a great Batman tale is instead turned into a whacked out amusement park ride.