Robin in Batman Returns

Started by batass4880, Wed, 23 Sep 2009, 21:17

Previous topic - Next topic
Why did Tim Burton let Daniel Waters write Robin into the first draft of the movie when Waters said in an interview that he and Burton hate the character and think he's the most useless character in the world? If Burton had the power to veto from the get-go, then why didn't he?

to give them someone to kill off?

The studio probably tried to put pressure on Burton to introduce such a well-known character into the series.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Wed, 23 Sep 2009, 21:50 #4 Last Edit: Wed, 14 Oct 2009, 00:53 by batass4880
That could be true but I thought their only ground rule for Burton was that the Penguin had to be the main villain. Could very well be true though.

A little off topic but in that same interview about them hating Robin, Waters said he was originally going to have Harvey Dent in the movie and he said that it was originally Sam Hamm's idea, yet it's nowhere to be found in Hamm's script.

Being that it was indeed Daniel's first draft, Robin being included was apparently being tested at this stage in development. And as mentioned in the previous post, WB would have welcomed Robin's introduction into the series with open arms, but were (according to Burton's interview in the SE) ultimately taking more of an interest in who the chief villain would be, and that as they saw it, was The Penguin.

Much like the Penguin, Robin in the Burtonverse would have been very distinguishable from any previous incarnations, but ultimately it was decided he wasn't necessary to the film itself. Even if the whole Robin inclusion did get as far as Marlon being cast.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

and an action figure even! even though its white. lol

Oh yeah, I forgot about that ;D

i had like 10 batmans, the robin, a penguin, and of course, catwoman. i don't have any of them anymore  :'(

As a kid I always prayed and hoped that Toy Biz would make an action figure of the comic book version of Catwoman but for some reason they never did >:(