Captain America: Civil War

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 5 Dec 2015, 00:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 9 Apr 2016, 11:42 #40 Last Edit: Sat, 9 Apr 2016, 11:51 by Silver Nemesis
Marvel has dropped the social media embargo following a recent press screening. The early Twitter response from critics is highly positive:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/captain_america/captain_america_civil_war/the-first-reactions-to-captain-america-a137275

A few key points they all seem to agree on:

-   It's good. A couple of critics are lukewarm in their praise and say it's not as good as Winter Soldier. But most are more enthusiastic than that. Some are saying it's Marvel's best film so far.

-   It's a better Avengers film than Age of Ultron.

-   Tom Holland's Spider-Man is the best to date. He steals the show.

-   The airport scene is the greatest action sequence in any comic book movie ever. This sounds a tab hyperbolic to me, but they all seem to concur on this point.

-   It's the darkest Marvel film so far, but still manages to be fun.

-   It has surprising emotional depth. More so than some critics were expecting.

So it looks like Civil War's going to get a good response from critics. I believe the review embargo ends on Wednesday next week, which is a good sign. Marvel/Disney must be very confident to let the critics voice their opinions so far in advance of the release date.

This is great news Silver Nemesis.

As much as I adored the MCU however, I do hope the films will now start taking some risks and perhaps kill off key characters.  Perhaps that's what the 'darkest Marvel film so far' and 'emotional depth' alludes to.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Currently sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 14 reviews and an average rating of 8.8/10. It'll drop as more reviews come in, but it's off to an encouraging start.

I knew it was a good sign when Marvel lifted the critical embargo so early. Unlike Warner Bros, who maintained the BvS critical embargo until the last possible minute...

Empire Magazine has given it 5 out of 5 stars: http://www.empireonline.com/movies/captain-america-civil-war/review/

Things are looking good for this film.  I just hope I can avoid spoilers before it's released.

Some interesting new clips:

I love that they're framing the central battle using a solid ideological conflict, similar to the Daredevil vs. Punisher rivalry in DD season 2. Two heroes, each behaving very much in character, but each pursuing an objective that is incompatible with the goals of their rival. In order for one of them to accomplish their objective, the other must be overcome. It's the kind of conflict that evolves naturally from the characters and what they represent, rather than through contrived circumstances.

I'm so looking forward to this film that I'm going to be avoiding certain forums for the next few weeks.  In fact I'm not even sure about checking out those clips.

It might be as well to have a separate 'spoilers' thread when the movie is released. Later, when it's been out for a few weeks and everyone's seen it, we can merge the 'spoilers' thread with this one.

It looks good - looking forward to seeing it.

As someone who is a fan of the MCU, and loved the first two Cap movies...I'm honestly not so sure about this one.

On one hand, they're exploring the ramifications of the damage left behind in every Avengers battle, and that's good for the sake of the story.

But on the other hand, there's always a chance that too many characters could spoil it. Despite I liked how they introduced Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision in Age of Ultron, I thought that movie had an unfocused plot because of the amount of characters introduced in the film. I heard rumours that Spider-Man plays a bigger part in this than most people are expecting, and to tell you truth, I'm disappointed. What if the film has too many sub-plots that get in the way of the conflict between Captain America and Iron Man? Plus, how does it juggle the other villains in the film: Baron Zemo and Crossbones?

I'll definitely see it, and I'm not going to write it off. But I have a hunch that Civil War won't entertain me as much as The First Avenger and The Winter Soldier did. Hope I'm wrong.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei