Captain America: Civil War

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 5 Dec 2015, 00:32

Previous topic - Next topic
What is this nonsense?  And can't we dispense with all the silly Marvel v DC foolishness?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Get over it. It's funny and I'm allowed to post it here. I'm not comparing DC to Marvel with it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 13 Mar  2016, 01:44
Get over it. It's funny and I'm allowed to post it here. I'm not comparing DC to Marvel with it.
I don't want an argument with you, but the meme is clearly intended to mock the MCU, even though the MCU has done a bang-up job with its films and establishing the various characters so far.

Unlike some franchises, it hasn't rushed into things.  :-X

If anyone is mocking a company, it's you mocking the new DC universe with language like that. Thanks for making a mountain out of a molehill. It seems we can't have a laugh any more without causing offence, which is a shame.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 13 Mar  2016, 03:09
If anyone is mocking a company, it's you mocking the new DC universe with language like that. Thanks for making a mountain out of a molehill. It seems we can't have a laugh any more without causing offence, which is a shame.
But  haven't said anything about the new DC Universe.  I'm looking forward to it.  :)

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 10 Mar  2016, 20:42
I'm seeing a fair amount of negativity on other sites, but I like it. The mask's got that classic Ditko look, and the expressive eyes are a neat innovation on what we've seen in earlier films.

I like the look as well. Because of it's inspiration from the Ditko/Romita days, and also because the animated eyes instantly makes me think of various Spidey toons (which were probably my first exposure to Spider-Man to begin with).

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

To be honest I don't find the meme funny. Is it mocking the fact that the film only has about 10 heroes going at it instead of 30 in the comics? And for the record I'm not someone who has a stake in the DC vs Marvel debate, both sides have great comic characters, DC  is doing better on TV but Marvel is kicking the crap out DC on the big screen lately and I agree with those who say that BvS would not be happening right now if not for the Avengers.

On the subject of Ross, he'll be the first supporting character from the Incredible Hulk to appear in another marvel film and the first actor to reprise his role. I'm happy, it seems that film is the forgotten one of the MCU and very underrated. While Sam Elliot is a fine actor, I liked Hurt's character far better. Elliiots character was an antagonist of sorts but it was obvious he was doing what he believed to be right; keeping people safe from the unknown powerful threat. William Hurt's character was far more layered; he knew he was partially responsible for the Hulk and was after Banner to protect his own career. He definitely falls into the anti-hero category.

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 15 Mar  2016, 13:28On the subject of Ross, he'll be the first supporting character from the Incredible Hulk to appear in another marvel film and the first actor to reprise his role. I'm happy, it seems that film is the forgotten one of the MCU and very underrated. While Sam Elliot is a fine actor, I liked Hurt's character far better. Elliiots character was an antagonist of sorts but it was obvious he was doing what he believed to be right; keeping people safe from the unknown powerful threat. William Hurt's character was far more layered; he knew he was partially responsible for the Hulk and was after Banner to protect his own career. He definitely falls into the anti-hero category.
Great comments riddler.  :)

Would you say that Elliot's version of General Ross was on balance more sympathetic than Hurt's?  For the record I don't think either version of the character is an out-and-out villain but I agree with your analysis regarding the contrast between the two performances (Elliot's Ross being an antagonist to the Hulk but not necessarily a 'bad guy', and Hurt's Ross being somewhat more misguided and questionable in his motives).

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 15 Mar  2016, 19:29
Quote from: riddler on Tue, 15 Mar  2016, 13:28On the subject of Ross, he'll be the first supporting character from the Incredible Hulk to appear in another marvel film and the first actor to reprise his role. I'm happy, it seems that film is the forgotten one of the MCU and very underrated. While Sam Elliot is a fine actor, I liked Hurt's character far better. Elliiots character was an antagonist of sorts but it was obvious he was doing what he believed to be right; keeping people safe from the unknown powerful threat. William Hurt's character was far more layered; he knew he was partially responsible for the Hulk and was after Banner to protect his own career. He definitely falls into the anti-hero category.
Great comments riddler.  :)

Would you say that Elliot's version of General Ross was on balance more sympathetic than Hurt's?  For the record I don't think either version of the character is an out-and-out villain but I agree with your analysis regarding the contrast between the two performances (Elliot's Ross being an antagonist to the Hulk but not necessarily a 'bad guy', and Hurt's Ross being somewhat more misguided and questionable in his motives).

For the most part Elliot had noble intentions, the only criticism of the characters motives is that it seems he was partially targetting Banner due to a vendetta with his father so he is the more sympathetic of the two. Hurt is more antagonistic as it seems he is trying to capture Banner to replicate the serum. You were right earlier that he's not entirely at fault for the Abomination, he couldn't have predicted Sterns to give him an injection himself. Hurts character does the right thing at the end letting Banner fight the Abomination, giving him some help and then letting him escape. It will be interesting to see though if Ross is questioned himself; SHIELD and Fury have no doubts Banner is a good guy and the hulk isn't a threat. It's likely the Stark cameo in TIH (which hasn't exactly added much plot up until now other than a prelude that the avengers would form) will be expanded on as Stark did come to ross.