Release the Ayer Cut?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 23 May 2020, 07:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Now that Zack Snyder's Justice League is confirmed for release next year, there is momentum growing for David Ayer's complete vision for Suicide Squad.

Ayer himself appears to start following Snyder's lead by leaving cryptic messages on Twitter.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2546631/suicide-squad-director-posts-cryptic-joker-message-after-snyder-cut-is-announced

The article above does mention plot points tying together with JL were scrapped pre-production, but neglected to comment that Ayer already confirmed the ending of his cut is vastly different from the theatrical and extended cuts.

I'd love to see Ayer getting his due, but I fear James Gunn's production may be holding it back. What do you all think?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Releasing the Snyder cut was impossible... right up until the minute it became possible, that is. And then, it was possible all of a sudden.

It looks like the idea here is "Let's make money off the stuff we can make money off of". Under that rubric, I have to assume that an Ayer cut of Suicide Squad is totally possible. I'd be interested in seeing it for comparison, if nothing else.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 23 May  2020, 08:26
Releasing the Snyder cut was impossible... right up until the minute it became possible, that is. And then, it was possible all of a sudden.

It looks like the idea here is "Let's make money off the stuff we can make money off of". Under that rubric, I have to assume that an Ayer cut of Suicide Squad is totally possible. I'd be interested in seeing it for comparison, if nothing else.
I'm all for it. Ayer's cut would be radically different and well worth seeing. Leto's Joker has been tarred and feathered as a disgrace, and he's had to wear that reputation ever since. Unfairly, in my view. He probably still wouldn't be the fan favorite, but you'd have to imagine his standing would increase greatly.

Grace Randolph, who said a SnyderLeague release was going to happen, is now tweeting a Cavill contract announcement is in the endgame, and we could hear something as early as next week. If Gal Gadot can continue Wonder Woman films, why the hell can't Henry Cavill suit up for sequels as well? I'm feeling hopeful about it. The AT&T/HBO influence could be the best thing to happen if they're forcing these issues.

Things seem to have changed, in any case.

Ayer posted this picture of Leto's Joker just now.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 23 May  2020, 10:44I'm all for it. Ayer's cut would be radically different and well worth seeing. Leto's Joker has been tarred and feathered as a disgrace, and he's had to wear that reputation ever since. Unfairly, in my view. He probably still wouldn't be the fan favorite, but you'd have to imagine his standing would increase greatly.

Grace Randolph, who said a SnyderLeague release was going to happen, is now tweeting a Cavill contract announcement is in the endgame, and we could hear something as early as next week. If Gal Gadot can continue Wonder Woman films, why the hell can't Henry Cavill suit up for sequels as well? I'm feeling hopeful about it. The AT&T/HBO influence could be the best thing to happen if they're forcing these issues.

Things seem to have changed, in any case.
The Leto angle is literally the only reason I have any reluctance about this whatsoever.

WB struck gold with Phoenix and Phillips. It was a pretty out-of-left-field success, even JOKER's biggest cheerleaders like me weren't predicting that level of success and you can't say the movie didn't make a splash. And now a possible sequel to JOKER?

JOKER is the bird in the hand WB already has. It may be a legitimate risk for the Joker's cinematic branding right now to release anything new starring Leto. I like Leto in the role, generally speaking. I was never anti-Leto. But the public has spoken, for better or for worse. So the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad may be the opposite of what's good for an established successful take on the Joker.

But if the ZSJL can get released, it's not my business to say anything is impossible at this point.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 23 May  2020, 18:15
The Leto angle is literally the only reason I have any reluctance about this whatsoever.

WB struck gold with Phoenix and Phillips. It was a pretty out-of-left-field success, even JOKER's biggest cheerleaders like me weren't predicting that level of success and you can't say the movie didn't make a splash. And now a possible sequel to JOKER?

JOKER is the bird in the hand WB already has. It may be a legitimate risk for the Joker's cinematic branding right now to release anything new starring Leto. I like Leto in the role, generally speaking. I was never anti-Leto. But the public has spoken, for better or for worse. So the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad may be the opposite of what's good for an established successful take on the Joker.

But if the ZSJL can get released, it's not my business to say anything is impossible at this point.

I get that thinking, but only really if JOKER gets a sequel with Phoenix. That remains uncertain and I'm inclined to say it will remain a stand-alone. If that's what ends up happening there shouldn't be much of a problem with the character's cinematic branding. Phoenix will be one and done, and unless Leto returns, he will remain that way as well. If Zack Snyder's Justice League is a streaming success (and I feel it will be), I think Ayer's cut is a real chance. That's where the focus will move.

It would be human nature for Leto to feel jealousy at the Phoenix situation. A great majority of his content was cut and watered down, making him barely a cameo. His Joker was an abusive wild animal and reshoots made him seem like a lovesick puppy. Legal issues probably make it essential he keeps his mouth shut about the whole thing, while he's smeared as the worst Joker of all time. Enter Phoenix who gets a film all to himself and one that's intense and graphic. Phoenix is one of the best things ever to happen with the Joker, but seriously, Leto has had to wear a dunce hat for a situation that was placed onto him.

If the content exists (and it does), and there's a real opportunity for an official release, I say get it out there. Audiences were not given the complete picture of Leto by any stretch of the imagination. If people still aren't on board with Leto that's okay, but I see merit in seeing what his incarnation was actually meant to be.

David Ayer on the status of his cut:

My cut would be easy to complete. It would be incredibly cathartic for me. It's exhausting getting your ass kicked for a film that got the Edward Scissorhands treatment. The film I made has never been seen.

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1264976357718515719

James Gunn has stated he would have "no problem" if the Ayer cut comes out before his own take on Suicide Squad gets released:

I'd be okay with whatever @DavidAyerMovies & Warners wanted to release with that no problem.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1265434578275020806

Ayer has also been retweeting fans for making pro-Ayer cut posts. One of which is somebody called Jon Lee Brody, an actor/producer/director, who claimed he saw a different cut than what was shown in theaters:

I'm someone who actually did get to see an early cut of Suicide Squad. I don't know if it was David's cut but it was definitely not the theatrical cut. But I know for a fact the Ayer cut was (and is) a great film. Not good. GREAT. #ReleaseTheAyerCut

https://twitter.com/JonLeeBrody/status/1265354618906673154

If I were an HBO Max/AT&T stakeholder, I'd have Ayer's cut come out first, and then show ZSJL. Nonetheless, I'm confident the true vision for Suicide Squad is not far away.

Sat, 30 May 2020, 15:29 #7 Last Edit: Sat, 30 May 2020, 22:21 by The Laughing Fish
David Ayer responded to a fan who said he loved the original Comic Con trailer by saying what most people had already suspected:

This trailer nailed the tone and intention of the film I made. Methodical. Layered. Complex, beautiful and sad. After the BVS reviews shell shocked the leadership at the time, and the success of Deadpool - My soulful drama was beaten into a "comedy"

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1266736445911252993

Typical Hollywood. Monkey see, monkey do.

Deadpool sucks.

Mmm, okay. Now this is kind of interesting. In a possible attempt to tamp down expectations, Ayer tweeted something like there being only a ten minute difference between his run time and the theatrical run time. You hear that and think there's not much difference between the two cuts.

But those reshoots... it makes you wonder if the complete Ayer cut (minus the reshot stuff) wouldn't actually explain the seeming discrepancy going on here. Plus, the addition of those missing ten minutes will achieve more than nothing.

I'm curious about the Ayer cut from passing fan interest, if nothing else. But these rumors about just how different the Ayer cut actually was makes me genuinely interested.

Like anything tho, probably it all hinges on the success of ZSJL. If that's a hit then we're playing a new game around here, I think...

I'm looking forward to the Snyder Cut but I'd be even more excited for The Ayer Cut.