Paul Dano is The Riddler

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

:D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 20 Oct  2019, 02:55
I'm angling for the threat level of Zero Year, especially if he takes the lead villain role, and the personality and deathtraps of Arkham.
Word around the campfire is that the movie ends with the Riddler flooding Gotham, which is straight out of Zero Year, setting up the sequel. I'm very excited about the Riddler sending Gotham into a frenzy like Hardy's Bane or Ledger's Joker, in his own way, because he's more than capable of doing so. The Zodiac Killer influence is obvious, but I see some Unabomber in there too. Someone detached from society and living a solitary existence, but having strong critiques of the world, committing crimes to draw large scale attention to his beliefs.

Yeah, it seems like Zero Year is a huge inspiration for this movie that hasn't been mentioned by Matt Reeves or the cast. And the funny thing is, when this movie was filming and we were getting those spy pics, I remember posting pics of Zero Year, and saying that's what it looks like. Plus, it's another rookie style Batman story with Riddler. Very Zero Year.

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 30 Oct  2021, 15:38
Yeah, it seems like Zero Year is a huge inspiration for this movie that hasn't been mentioned by Matt Reeves or the cast. And the funny thing is, when this movie was filming and we were getting those spy pics, I remember posting pics of Zero Year, and saying that's what it looks like. Plus, it's another rookie style Batman story with Riddler. Very Zero Year.
The cycle Bruce is using as The Drifter, and elements of the batsuit are obvious references. I believe evidence of Gotham being flooded is present in the trailer. The individuals in makeup could be similar to the Red Hood gang, building to an eventual reveal of the Joker. Bruce initially refusing to take on Wayne Enterprises seems like a real possibility. Also a secret entrance to Wayne Manor from Crime Alley, especially if the underground railway talk is genuine.

Paul Dano answers which Batman (other than Pattinson) is his favourite and briefly comments on Carrey's Riddler.

I don't disagree with The Riddler's attitude towards corruption, hypocrisy and the need for satisfactory punishment of those responsible. We know why Batman has a problem with that in philosophical terms. But apart from that, Battinson is the closest thing to Adam West's deputized agent of the law. If he's going to be publicly associated with the GCPD and attend crime scenes, he has to satisfy their requirements of moral citizenry. Otherwise the deal's off and he'll be brought in. When Nashton floods the city, he enters outright villain territory, in the same way Joker and Scarecrow gassed Gotham. He's liable for the mass deaths of people unconnected to his initial grievance. That's the stepping off point - when the bullied nerd takes down the whole school.

Matt Reeves has announced a comic book tie-in titled Riddler: Year One. It's written by Paul Dano himself and is scheduled for publication in October.

Really interested in this. The prequel novel already revealed that Edward was a food delivery man, sabotaged street racing cars and nearly burned down the orphanage. It ended with him unsatisfied with the fire because he didn't receive any credit, and thus decided to leave riddles behind next time. Perhaps the comic series can display the initial surveillance Edward undertook to discover the corruption of those he targeted in the film. He did have a clear view of The Iceberg Lounge.

I'm very interested in this. I will definitely be buying this when it comes out.

After reading DeVito's contribution to last year's Gotham City Villains special, I have to say I'm a little wary of letting actors write comics. But this one sounds a lot more intriguing and should at least fit in with the continuity of the film. Dano delivered a compelling new take on the Riddler and anything that offers us more insight into the workings of Nashton's devious mind has the potential to be very interesting indeed. I'll give it a read when it comes out.