25th anniversary releases

Started by Cobblepot4Mayor, Wed, 28 May 2014, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Yes, unfortunately that line is uttered. Goyer comments on a Batman tattoo being popular at the time and something about modern comic book movies
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Keaton's while interview time only totals about 2 minutes and is so sad as you know they're sitting on loads of footage from that and they've included it in amongst content that is pretty offensive to any fans of the film
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Quote from: PJ on Fri,  7 Nov  2014, 16:37
Yes, unfortunately that line is uttered. Goyer comments on a Batman tattoo being popular at the time and something about modern comic book movies
>:(  Sounds like Goyer is taking the opportunity to peddle his own dull, dreary comic-book movies.

What makes me laugh is that surely Warner Bros must know that most people buying a 25th anniversary release will already be fans of the movie and won't care to hear that one of their favourite films was only successful because of the hype.  Talk about biting the hand...
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Well, I watched it.

Definitely gonna put a review together just for this.

As has been said, it's almost a dissing of the film itself and a hastily thrown together documentary that isn't even worth $5 on iTunes.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Fri,  7 Nov  2014, 19:34
Well, I watched it.

Definitely gonna put a review together just for this.

As has been said, it's almost a dissing of the film itself and a hastily thrown together documentary that isn't even worth $5 on iTunes.
It almost makes me wonder if the dissing was done on purpose as part of Warner Bros' concerted effort to bury the Burton Batman films in favour of their newer 'no jokes' movies.  >:(

Us Burton fans MUST BE CONVERTED.

It's absolutely sickening and I hope some of the current execs at Warner Bros lose their jobs.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I'm not happy one bit to hear Goyer was involved and I can't see a scenario where his presence would please me;

I'm sure he's sitting there doing his regular Burton bashing as he has for years. a special edition DVD is no place for critics of a film.

Once again, this only reaffirms that WB are an absolute joke. I can only assume they put together this mess of a 'documentary' because they already covered too many featurettes when a special edition of the movie was released on DVD a decade ago. Nonetheless, it's pretty pathetic that they basically patronise the movie that started the entire franchise in favour of a series of films that make Batman talk like an asthmatic, needs Lucius Fox to do the technical work, and fools people into thinking they're "cerebral" because of themes that otherwise that have no real business being in the plot. Oh, and take themselves seriously for the sake of it.

Goyer especially should be removed from any plans for the new DC movies. It does make me worry how Batman v Superman will turn out. If it turns out to be a success (as in it's enjoyable, not only in terms of money), then I have a feeling it will be in spite of him. The 'World's Finest' has to be fun on some level. They better not try to use the movie to express some sort of political or philosophical pretense like they did for the recent Nolan films.  >:(
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Thanks for the responses, especially your review Paul. I was actually considering pre ordering this one but after reading the reviews I think I'll go with one of the other versions.

My main gripe is the presence of Goyer; I hope WB is reading this, I am mainly avoiding this because they put a clown here to discuss a film on celebration DVD who has done nothing but criticize it for years.

Sorry for ranting but I don't like this man one bit. There is not a single successful work out there in which he's had sole writing credit. Here is a list of the films in which he had the lead writing credit and their IMDB rating:

The unborn; 4.7
Blade trinity 5.9
The crow city of angels 4.4 (sole writer)
Nick Fury 3.6 (sole writer)
Kickboxer 2: 4.3
Death Warrant 5.5

In fact the blade series was successful until he was given the director chair for the 3rd film and ran it into the ground and was condemned by his stars. 

Batman is a movie that actually got better over the years. At the time, highbrow critics were quick to dismiss it as a typical 80s action movie. Before the age of superhero movies that we're in now, this was a pretty common way of thinking, though the movie has since become a classic. Burton was ahead of his time, and instead of celebrating that, it seems the old backward way of thinking is being reinforced. Great job, WB.

Batman is a hard series to tackle now, because WB is still trying to push the Nolan films and the new Batman V Superman. As a result, we got this bare bones release. It's like a catch 22, if we want a decent release of the old films, there needs to not be any new ones. Unlike Star Wars or something, the new films don't build off the old ones, they compete.