Dexter: New Blood

Started by thecolorsblend, Sun, 10 Oct 2021, 05:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Not seeing any other threads related to Dexter. But I didn't do a super intensive search.

Anyway, so Dexter: New Blood is set to premiere on November 07, 2021. Figured this thread could be as good of a place as any for Dexter discussion.

Also, "reboot" has a specific meaning. And it looks like someone involved with the marketing for Dexter: New Blood is well aware. Because it's pretty rare to see Dexter: New Blood being referred to as a "reboot". More frequently, it's called a revival. Because that's what it is. It's not a reboot. And it's getting a little annoying to see Boomer and Gen X media personalities misuse the word "reboot" all the time.

So glad they're doing the continuation because the last season wasn't the best note to end on. Dexter is thoroughly interesting and one of my favorites in the way it makes a serial killer something of a hero. His actions are not moral, but they're heroic. He's offing people who deserve their punishment. What I love is that Dexter needs to kill, and will kill. We're just fortunate he's seeking these particular people out.

One thing I appreciate about the show is how it goes to pains to show how unusual Dexter is. Not just anybody with his condition could do what he does. Dexter is a special case. He's not necessarily a repeatable phenomenon. Now, maybe not every season is golden. But the show pretty much always acknowledges how unique Dexter truly is.

I like how emotionally disconnected Dexter is to humanity, and him being perfectly happy about that. Work interests him, but first and foremost it serves his mission. The friendship thing is what he gets icky about, not the blood and guts. His front is a disguise to blend in and withhold his true self to effectively everyone. I relate to that a lot.

I loved the first 4 seasons of the show, and then hate watched the rest. Hopefully this newish season goes back to its roots.

Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 12 Oct  2021, 14:20
I loved the first 4 seasons of the show, and then hate watched the rest. Hopefully this newish season goes back to its roots.
I'm going to watch the entire series again in a marathon pretty soon. As far as music goes Dexter is a heavy hitter. The Blood Theme is absolute brilliance. It captures the lonely and mysterious soul of Dexter, whereas the Main Title theme highlights his playful front which cleverly hints at the undercurrent of darkness. Rolfe Kent knocked it out of the park with those.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 13 Oct  2021, 13:11
Quote from: Travesty on Tue, 12 Oct  2021, 14:20
I'm going to watch the entire series again in a marathon pretty soon. As far as music goes Dexter is a heavy hitter. The Blood Theme is absolute brilliance. It captures the lonely and mysterious soul of Dexter, whereas the Main Title theme highlights his playful front which cleverly hints at the undercurrent of darkness. Rolfe Kent knocked it out of the park with those.
Agree. Usually, most TV shows have kind of forgettable scores. But Dexter has some pretty solid music. The Blood Theme is clearly the best tho, if you ask me.

I'm just about up to date with all the new episodes. I'm really enjoying it. Strong character work and the small town setting is refreshing. They're laying the groundwork for big things ahead.

I never watched Dexter so I decided to give it a whirl. I'm about mid point through season 3 and my feelings are mostly mixed.

I liked season 1 a lot, though it does get a bit overly long.

I despised season 2. I hated the English fan fic girlfriend and I hated how Doakes transforms into a walking contrivance and 'idiot plot' that is meticulously painted into the role of patsy, I hear that this is the most liked season of the show. Beyond me how, except for the Lundy stuff.

Season 3 is interesting so far, but I'm waiting to see where it pans out.

I feel like this was a show not designed or capable of lasting 8 years. I feel this is going to get very long before I'm through.

Mon, 29 Nov 2021, 21:45 #9 Last Edit: Tue, 30 Nov 2021, 17:04 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Mon, 29 Nov  2021, 18:50
I never watched Dexter so I decided to give it a whirl. I'm about mid point through season 3 and my feelings are mostly mixed.

I liked season 1 a lot, though it does get a bit overly long.

I despised season 2. I hated the English fan fic girlfriend and I hated how Doakes transforms into a walking contrivance and 'idiot plot' that is meticulously painted into the role of patsy, I hear that this is the most liked season of the show. Beyond me how, except for the Lundy stuff.

Season 3 is interesting so far, but I'm waiting to see where it pans out.

I feel like this was a show not designed or capable of lasting 8 years. I feel this is going to get very long before I'm through.
I say that season 04 is the best. People argue whether it's better than season 02. If you ask me, it is. But I adore the second season.

For my money, the show could've ended with the fourth season. No spoilers here, I guess. Not from me anyway. But you'll understand.

After the fourth season... yeah, I admit that it gets pretty wonky.

For me, season 07 is the best of the second half of the series. Again, you'll know it when you see it. With the sixth and eighth seasons, I would argue that the "filler" villains are usually better than the season's Big Bad.

It's worthwhile to watch the entire run of the show... but only barely. And honestly, only because of New Blood. Lots of stuff in New Blood won't make sense if you haven't seen the entire series.

Still, I think it's all worth it.

Speaking of New Blood, I'm rly enjoying where things are going. I appreciate the fact that nothing is getting swept under the rug or retconned or anything else. Not sure if we can avoid spoilers too much in this thread since this is the only one. But New Blood is doing a lot to make up for the show's eighth season.