Brief (Moderately New) Clip on Conan

Started by thecolorsblend, Thu, 14 Jan 2016, 09:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Thu, 14 Jan 2016, 09:36 #1 Last Edit: Thu, 14 Jan 2016, 09:38 by The Dark Knight
Love it.

I swear, Batfleck's suit is a thing of beauty.

It seems Superman really doesn't like Batman's methods, but spares him and demands that he give up his career. Leading into the eventual rigged arena where Batman lays the smackdown.

Colors, out of curiosity: What do you think of Man of Steel these days, and of the character's direction with Cavill at the helm?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 Jan  2016, 09:36Love it.

I swear, Batfleck's suit is a thing of beauty.

It seems Superman really doesn't like Batman's methods, but spares him and demands that he give up his career. Leading into the eventual rigged arena where Batman lays the smackdown.

Colors, out of curiosity: What do you think of Man of Steel these days, and of the character's direction with Cavill at the helm?
Well, we never did talk about it, did we?

I had a major chip on my shoulder as concerns the dreaded fourth season of Smallville for over ten years now. Even now I feel completely betrayed by Smallville's dreaded season 4. Because of that, I assumed Superman Returns had nowhere to go but up.

How wrong I was!

Well, the dreaded season 4 of Smallville is still dreaded but I do love the crap out of the rest of the show. Between that, ten years of Silver Age Superman, fifteen years of the Bronze Age, twenty years of the Byrne Age, four seasons of Lois & Clark, all of Fleischer, all of Superman- The Animated Series, the first two seasons of the George Reeves show, STM, Superman III and maybe some other things, I came to understand that I didn't NEED Man of Steel. I had no expectations of it one way or another.

The film itself impressed me on many levels, not least of which being the care and sensitivity shown to Superman in the movie.

Do you remember the summer of 2005? I do. That was the summer when Batman fans everywhere had their tongues up Christian Bale's pucker over what an amazing job he did in Batman Begins. But I've noticed fans haven't commented much on Cavill. The assumption we all seemed to make was that he was going to kick ass as Superman and that's about the end of the conversation. Brandon Routh was put under the microscope like nobody's business precisely because, I think, none of us ever truly accepted in the role.

Cavill? He didn't have that problem. He was welcomed with open arms site-unseen. He eventually proved himself worthy of that type of acceptance.

His view of Clark more or less matches mine. Specifically, "Clark" isn't a "disguise". The public persona of Bruce Wayne? THAT is a disguise. But "Clark", the guy who works at the Daily Planet, interviews people, investigates stories, etc, that guy is Superman's camouflage. It isn't a disguise as such. It's a carefully crafted illusion.

Cavill recognizes that Superman has to be big, powerful, majestic, confident, the whole program. But Clark has to be forgettable. You won't remember if he came to the office Christmas party last year. You'd remember if Perry or Lois showed up. But Clark? Maybe he was there, maybe he wasn't, who cares? Cavill gets that.

Cavill wasn't my first choice originally but he's proven he's up to the task of BEING this character and truly creating a Superman for a new generation.

This isn't the style, tone and direction I would've wanted if I had control over Superman films. But this is an effective, successful and interesting way to go with the franchise. Batman v Superman is the first time since the early 2000's (if not earlier) that I've been interested in and invested in what WB is doing with Superman.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I liked MOS. I think Cavill is the right guy at the right time. MOS wasn't perfect but I think it was a big step in the right direction. Overhauling the suit for the better, making Superman a man of action and giving the franchise special effects that it thoroughly deserves.

I think the cast is spot on, too. I find Amy Adams believable as a seasoned reporter who digs out the big stories. Did I get that with Kate Bosworth? Absolutely not. But you know, I've liked a lot of the other Lois's too. Kidder was okay. Hatcher is easily one of my favourites, Durance was lovely and the STAS version is also solid.

Between Superman, Superman II, STAS, Lois and Clark and now the Cavill era, it's looking okay for big blue. Those products I listed are worthy of the character. And as you are well aware, most of the gold is found in the comics. When Superman stories click, they really click. But I think that's harder to capture than say, Batman.

I find the better Superman comics are usually one-shots or else worlds. And tied up in his origins.

I used to be really down on Superman but now I don't mind him. So much so, Spider-Man may be pipped from second place after Batman now. I dig the yin/yang he presents to Batman mostly, and he does present a welcome change of pace. Hopefully BvS continues this positive trend for me. The Cavill/Snyder brand at least looks forward and not back ala Routhman.

Badass. Two months and ten days away, sports fans!

Also that is the very first time I had seen Zack Snyder, much less heard him and...um.....lol.

I promise if any of y'all sound like that I'm not making fun of you but....damn. lol. I was waiting for him to ask where the kaboom from his Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator was. "There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

Actually tbh he sounds (and kind of looks) like Ray Romano.

I don't know why, but for some reason this movie wants me to dislike Superman. It keeps showing me things that make him look bad to me.

God bless you all! God bless everyone!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Thu, 14 Jan  2016, 13:35
I don't know why, but for some reason this movie wants me to dislike Superman. It keeps showing me things that make him look bad to me.

God bless you all! God bless everyone!
I think Superman is simply being forceful in his beliefs. I don't necessarily support those beliefs all the time, but good on him for not backing down on them.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 Jan  2016, 14:03I think Superman is simply being forceful in his beliefs. I don't necessarily support those beliefs all the time, but good on him for not backing down on them.
I feel like it's making him look like a hypocrite. He's threatening Batman to stop being threatening. Superman, the super strong, nearly invincible, heat vision packing, super speed having alien who fought another alien with the exact same powers through buildings, is criticizing Batman for being scary. The whole movie is painting this really twisted picture of Superman from I've seen so far from it.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Thu, 14 Jan  2016, 14:12
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 14 Jan  2016, 14:03I think Superman is simply being forceful in his beliefs. I don't necessarily support those beliefs all the time, but good on him for not backing down on them.
I feel like it's making him look like a hypocrite. He's threatening Batman to stop being threatening. Superman, the super strong, nearly invincible, heat vision packing, super speed having alien who fought another alien with the exact same powers through buildings, is criticizing Batman for being scary. The whole movie is painting this really twisted picture of Superman from I've seen so far from it.

God bless you! God bless everyone!
But Superman doesn't consider himself scary or a God. He just wants to do the right thing. If he thinks putting Batman in his place keeps peace and order, he'll do it.