Max's double fake out

Started by Catwoman, Wed, 24 Jun 2015, 20:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Was thinking about this scene and got legit pissed off about it. Such a freaking low ass despicable cheap as freaking hell dick move. And I know Max was supposed to be a freaking low ass despicable cheap (morally) as freaking hell dick, but that scene totally seals it. At first you think he's just another rich slimeball, not much of a real threat though. Then he fakes her out, making her think he's going to kill her, gets her to laugh in relief, then does it anyway. And remember, as far as he knows she's street pizza. I guess we forget how totally evil assed this scene is since we know she's not (technically) killed. But gah. That is so wrong and I'm so glad he ended up a piece of charcoal.

Me and Max? No, this and Max.

That pic made me giggle a lot harder than it should have.

Thu, 25 Jun 2015, 15:25 #3 Last Edit: Thu, 25 Jun 2015, 16:06 by Edd Grayson
Don't worry, it had the same effect on me too, which is why I wanted to post it.  ;D

Back to Max, he was a really arrogant jerk apart from that scene too. After he saw that Selina survived, he still thought she couldn't do anything to him, he could just "throw her out of a higher window",  and after he saw that she was Catwoman, he just dismissed her by saying "You're fired!"

It's hard not to think that he got what he deserved in the end.

His whole attitude reminds me of the Ice Princess but 50 times more a dickhead and infinitely smarter lol. He thought he was on top of everything and couldn't be touched even at the end. I don't think it truly hit him the deep sh*t he was in until the taser hit his lips.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Thu, 25 Jun  2015, 03:46

Ah yes. The ballroom party scene.

I had a debate with somebody on this forum who argued that this scene demonstrates how hypocritical Bruce is because he asks Selina "Who the hell do you think you are?", despite the fact that he's a lethal guardian of the entire city. In my opinion, I always perceived this scene as Bruce playing the clueless facade. He's aware that Max did something to Selina, but he can't begin to investigate what happened, and since her erratic mood came by surprise, he's trying to make sure that Selina doesn't get anybody else's attention at the party. But I still think his "Wrong at both counts!" line in the end is hypocritical. Forget about the fact that he kills, Batman is shown to be above the law just by being a crimefighter alone.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Fri, 26 Jun 2015, 13:20 #7 Last Edit: Fri, 26 Jun 2015, 13:28 by Dagenspear
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 26 Jun  2015, 09:26
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Thu, 25 Jun  2015, 03:46

Ah yes. The ballroom party scene.

I had a debate with somebody on this forum who argued that this scene demonstrates how hypocritical Bruce is because he asks Selina "Who the hell do you think you are?", despite the fact that he's a lethal guardian of the entire city. In my opinion, I always perceived this scene as Bruce playing the clueless facade. He's aware that Max did something to Selina, but he can't begin to investigate what happened, and since her erratic mood came by surprise, he's trying to make sure that Selina doesn't get anybody else's attention at the party. But I still think his "Wrong at both counts!" line in the end is hypocritical. Forget about the fact that he kills, Batman is shown to be above the law just by being a crimefighter alone.
I disagree. Selina in Batman Returns reflects Bruce's obsession with revenge how it can ultimately lead to self-destruction, mentally. That moment is a realization, I believe, of him connecting the dots of just how similar they are, which is where he gets to the point where he tells her later that they're the same. He tries to save her from herself at the end of the day, but realizes that he can't after she ultimately chooses vengeance over a life of some kind. This is what leads him into the tired of being Batman and how he's alone because of it attitude that he's in in Batman Forever. It's because he's witnessed his own self-destruction through Selina. It's pretty interesting really. Selina also doesn't say they're above the law. She says the law doesn't apply them. It's a nice moment where Bruce, having realized via Selina, sees just how off the rails he's gone, and tells her that that's wrong. He's trying to course correct, by saving them both. But she rejects it. Which, again, leads to where he's at in Batman Forever.