Batman 1943

Started by Slash Man, Sun, 5 Feb 2023, 05:43

Previous topic - Next topic
Doesn't seem to be a thread for just the original serial. I've just finished it for the first time. I just purchased the DVD recently from a store with a dedicated superhero movie section. The owner actually warned me that this isn't the modern Batman, saying Batman was in sweatpants. On that note, it's interesting how perception of this movie has changed over time. As I understand, it was a success during its original run, but subject to amused mockery and derision in the 60s, which directly lead to the 60s Batman show. Nowadays, it's all but forgotten, and contemporary reviews dwell too much on the racial element. While it's not for modern audiences, any Batman fan should appreciate the historical significance, especially any reader of the Golden Age comics.

I think this movie exceeds at following the source material. People complain that it doesn't adapt any storylines or features any preexisting villains, but this was still ground zero for superhero cinema (only preceded by Captain Marvel). The episodes very much capture the tone and formula of the comics at the time, which which commonly saw Batman battling gangsters, mad scientists, and even occasionally brain control.

It's safe to say that the Joker was already recognized as Batman's arch-nemesis by this point, so that would have been an opportunity. Funny enough, the inspiration for his likeness, Conrad Veidt passed away shortly before production started. But regardless, the villains all feel straight out of the comics. We actually see a lot of the henchmen throughout the story; many of them appear throughout the episodes and feel less like faceless goons.

I love the action and the fight scenes; it's very frequent and engaging. There's no grace to it, just a bunch of brawlers duking it out. Only critique I have is that Batman and Robin get beaten way too frequently. I know this trope appears in the comics frequently at this time, but seeing them overtaking with every fight can be tiresome.

Frank Miller has spoken very highly of this serial. He says that for what it is and for when it came out, it's actually pretty solid as a comic book adaptation.

To be fair, I've never watched it myself. But a pedigree from Frank Miller isn't easy to come by. Just ask Joel Schumacher. Hell, ask him twice. So, that carries weight with me.

This is on my list of future projects. No idea when tho.

In case anyone's interested, I wrote a couple of site features on the Batman film serials back in 2018.

Batman (1943) https://www.batman-online.com/features/2018/1/26/batman-1943-and-the-comics

Batman and Robin (1949) https://www.batman-online.com/features/2018/2/28/batman-and-robin-1949-and-the-comics

Both serials are fun. I think Wilson made a better Bruce Wayne, while Lowery was a better Batman. On balance I prefer Lowery. The first serial has a better villain in Prince Daka, but the second serial has a better love interest in Vicki Vale. Both serials have unintentional comedic value and both IMO are more entertaining than the 1948 Superman serial.

People can make fun of the costumes, but I admire their simplicity and faithfulness to the comics. The cowls are obviously a bit naff, but if you could fix that, and make the suits less baggy, they'd have been all right.

One aspect of Lowery's costume I like a lot is the cape. It's got the classic scalloped design from the comics and it blends almost seamlessly with the cowl.

Lowery did a good job incorporating the cape into his physical performance. When standing still, he'd sometimes wrap it around himself or drape it over his arm like a wing. I'd like to see Batman use his cape like this in future films.

Sun, 5 Feb 2023, 16:59 #3 Last Edit: Sun, 5 Feb 2023, 17:32 by Slash Man
I think the leads did great job. Most modern audiences might just find the different acting styles of the time too different. Croft's Robin was a highlight; it's the only film to really capture the Golden Age Robin as a child. I've read critiques from Bob Kane about how Lewis Wilson was miscast and too out of shape to be Batman. Honestly, he looks fine onscreen (even if he was out of shape, the costume is too baggy to tell). I think the antiquated high waistline is what creates an odd look (here, and for Adam West). People poke fun and say West was pudgy in costume, when in reality he kept a model's physique).

I'll always have a soft spot for the costumes. Cloth is the hardest material to look good, yet the most accurate to the source. So I'll never fault them for trying. Batman looks near-perfect, but the cowl is such a hard thing to get down; particularly the protruding ears. I still prefer it over the 60s mask; some of my issues were the flat nose, eyebrows, and the flat ears tacked to the side. The eye holes and general shape of the mask around the nose was perfectly accurate, except the ears were always slanted and never symmetrical.

The Robin costume looked good, though the same design was later perfected in the 60s series.

Finally, I forgot to mention that there was good deal of detective work throughout the episodes, which is a core of the character that's often forgotten. Batman finding the clue of a poison cigarette and testing it in his lab was a pitch perfect moment. Also, Bruce going under cover amongst criminals as a master of disguise was also used to great effect (also under-utilized in modern interpretations).

This is also an instance where deviations from the source material created ideas that went on to improve the comics. Of course, that refers to the inclusion of Alfred the butler and the Batcave. The Bat's Cave was a natural extension of the hidden armory beneath Bruce Wayne's home. Meanwhile, it's a risky move having another person know about the secret of Batman and Robin's secret identities; such a change admittedly might upset modern fans after the reaction to Vicki being let into the Batcave in 1989. But seeing Alfred's debut is a real treat, especially knowing that William Austin's likeness would go on to inspire Alfred's look up to the present. He's a bit goofier than usual, and even takes a more direct role in assisting Batman here. Funny enough, it seems like both the hidden lair and trusty servant elements were lifted directly from Zorro.

Another thing I forgot to mention was the artwork kind of sucks. Which is to be expected from a studio releasing anything more than 20 years old, but this instance is egregious because the color palette and art style were deliberately trying to evoke the style of Batman Begins with its gold/brown color palette (I don't blame the cashier for asking me if I knew what I was buying). Heavy Photoshopped designs on a vintage movie just scream cheap to me. I'll always champion using the original artwork (which does exist for this series), or hiring an artist to create something new (look at Arrow and Shout Factory, for instance). Thinking out loud, but another option would be to find someone who can copy the style of Bob Kane/Jerry Robinson from the time period to create a dynamic movie poster that feels appropriate for the time.

And yes, I think a Blu-ray re-release would be worth the buy. Even though the DVD is supposedly a huge upgrade from the previous releases, it's still a very rough film, and there's even some short fragments missing. I know if it were in Warner's hands, we probably would have an excellent restoration. But since it's a Columbia production, there's not much hope for a collaboration for restoration.

Also, I saw on IMDB's trivia page that Daka was originally written as the Joker, and J. Carrol Naish was signed on to play him as such. It's an amusing thought, but I haven't seen this backed up substantially yet.

Yeah, I've also read that Naish was originally going to portray the 1st live action Joker for the 1943 serial, but as Slash Man pointed out, there's not a whole lot of documentation to confirm this claim. Interesting thought for sure, but definitely not the gospel either.

With the 1943 Batman serial, it's honestly my favorite serial, and I tend to go back to it for a marathon binge watch here and there. The fact that it is a timestamp, and was made during the height of World War 2 has a lot to do with why I find it somewhat of a fascinating watch. With those almost tangible factors, it just has a aura about it that makes the 1943 serial of Batman more alluring to me than others. If I had to go with my second favorite serial, it would probably be the 1944 "Captain America" serial by Republic Pictures. For similar reasons of course.

With Lewis Wilson, as far as I know, he never gave a interview about his time making the serial, and given that he didn't pass away until 2000, that was surely a missed opportunity. Given that he was only around 23 at the time, Wilson still holds the distinction of being the youngest Batman cast for live action to this day. I'm aware his son is none other than Michael G. Wilson (producer of Eon's James Bond movies), and you have to wonder if "Batman" ever came up between father and son? Especially during the '66 Bat-Mania with the Adam West show, or in '89's Bat-Mania revival. Knowing your dad was the very first live action Batman is something to take pride in. Not sure is Lewis would have agreed given whatever his feelings on the matter was, but I can see Michael being proud of that fact.

Just for fun, and this has already been posted in different thread, but it bears reposting. It's that awesome.

Lee Bermejo's 1943 Batman!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I used to have them on VHS back in the day, but I haven't seen them in about 30+ years.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 17 Jul  2023, 02:39

Has it really been eighty years since Batman's live action debut? Wow. Many happy returns to the Wilson and Croft Batman and Robin.

I don't suppose anyone involved in the making of this serial is still alive, but their legacy lives on in the hearts of fans like us who still enjoy it.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 20 Jul  2023, 21:38Has it really been eighty years since Batman's live action debut? Wow. Many happy returns to the Wilson and Croft Batman and Robin.

I don't suppose anyone involved in the making of this serial is still alive, but their legacy lives on in the hearts of fans like us who still enjoy it.

Being that it has the novelty of being the very first live-action depiction of Batman, I keep hoping that one day we'll get news from one of the physical media boutique companies, of a rescanned blu ray/4K edition. From what I understand, "The Green Hornet" serial got a remastered blu ray recently. "Batman 1943" definitely deserves one too!

Can it be said that this film is canon? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any major contradictions. The film definitely references the comics, but the real case to be made as that the comic references the film. Detective Comics 83 acts as a prelude/tie-in to the film; Alfred's change in appearance is given an in-universe explanation, and the Batcave is suddenly formally introduced as it's referred to as such in the film (well, technically the "Bat's Cave").

This is also a send-off for Bruce's longtime love interest, Linda Page. Despite frequent appearances up to this point, this film is her last appearance.

While it's far after the fact, writers for Batman's Earth-2 adventures in the 80s considered the film canon due to referencing Daka. I forget the source, but a writer did confirm such.

Can anyone think of a reason why the film shouldn't be put alongside the golden age comics continuity?