Frank Miller a consultant on Superman/Batman movie?

Started by Paul (ral), Wed, 31 Jul 2013, 22:48

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/batman-v-superman-zach-snyder-takes-advice-from-frank-miller-in-bid-for-blockbuster-battle-of-the-superheroes-8739894.html?origin=internalSearch#

QuoteA source close to Miller, who also has Sin City and 300 sequels in the pipeline, told the Independent: "Frank had no idea the announcement in San Diego was going to happen so it did come as a surprise. He's going to be meeting up with Zach in the next few days to go over the plans for the Superman film so things should be clearer after that."

While I don't want a direct TDKR adaptation, this could be very cool if handled right. If nothing else I'm really liking the rumors of an older Batman.

Is it really a revelation that Snyder is meeting with Miller? They are bound to be somewhat close due to Snyder directing 300.

This could have been blown out of proportion...and part of me hope it has. Everything Frank has to say about his idea of Batman vs Superman is on the pages of the comic.

It's an idea that may work for that story...a story where much time between has passed between the heroes...a story where Batman finds himself out of place in an evolved (devolved) society...a story where that kind of personal confrontation may come to a head.

I don't feel the story we might get after MOS can justify the gravitas of the personal relationship that DKR implies.

How much will this new film going to closely relate to Miller's TDKR? Because if they're suddenly going for a Superman-government-pawn theme, that will contradict Superman's resistance to be used in Man of Steel.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I think they should definitely explore Superman resistance to being at the mercy of military/politics. Superman has this naive ideology at the moment that he is above being controlled...explore that.

Miller has said that the reason he wrote Superman the way he did in TDKR is because it was Batman's story and everything had to be in service to that. If he's consulting on this, I do hope he mentions that.

The other thing though is that Superman did what he did in TDKR to make the peace between the government and the heroes. That motivation doesn't exist anywhere in MOS; quite the opposite, in fact. So I doubt (or maybe just foolishly hope) that the government drone thing isn't the angle they're pursuing so much as a showdown of some sort.