The next Batman

Started by Edd Grayson, Fri, 12 Jul 2013, 04:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Thritto. That would be amazing.

I also want to see a dark, stormy night. The closest we've had to this is The Narrows in BB. I'm thinking along the lines of lightning, hard rain, wind, etc.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 05:22Thritto. That would be amazing.

I also want to see a dark, stormy night. The closest we've had to this is The Narrows in BB. I'm thinking along the lines of lightning, hard rain, wind, etc.
To amplify on that, I'd like the world to be a bit colorless (desaturated) and dirty with overly-harsh bright lights and deep, dark shadows; not much in between. I've advocated that Sin City/300 style before and am doing so again here because I think it's an amazing approach to making films and it's perfect for Batman.

Agreed there too. A level of gloominess that is heightened to that of our own reality. Stylised. But still Earth bound.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 05:22
Thritto. That would be amazing.

rain should be in the movie all the way through and there should be some storming going on too. and if its dry during any day scenes the sky should still be so dark and ominous that you need your headlights when you are driving and to have the lights on in your house. plenty of wind too. stiff breezes and stuff.

my first fanfic attempt i mentioned that it was raining in nearly every chapter. i love the sun of course but there is just something about a rainy day.

I'm not overly fond of the bleached-out, heavily CGI-landscaped look of Sin City/300.  It worked well enough for the practically monochrome Sin City but less well for 300 where the harsh brown and yellow landscapes were often overbearing IMHO, and the look was utilised to disastrous effect with The Spirit, which finally allowed the critics and general public (at least the few who saw the film) to see Frank Miller for the nihilistic, misanthropic hack he's always been (the excellent Batman: Year One excepted).  I'm not terribly keen on a future Batman film looking like Alien 3. 

I would prefer something a bit more visually coherent (i.e. less drenched in shadows) yet nevertheless still stylised and unafraid to wear its comic-book origins on its sleeve, ideally a colourful and heightened art-deco aesthetic akin to B:TAS and in terms of live-action films, Dick Tracy and to some extent The Shadow (which got a lot wrong but still featured some gorgeous art direction and cinematography).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 07:56
rain should be in the movie all the way through and there should be some storming going on too. and if its dry during any day scenes the sky should still be so dark and ominous that you need your headlights when you are driving and to have the lights on in your house. plenty of wind too. stiff breezes and stuff.

my first fanfic attempt i mentioned that it was raining in nearly every chapter. i love the sun of course but there is just something about a rainy day.
Speaking of which, how is your current fanfic coming along?  Going by the existing chapters and the spoilers you teased it has (had?  :-\ ) a lot of potential.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 08:10
I'm not overly fond of the bleached-out, heavily CGI-landscaped look of Sin City/300.  It worked well enough for the practically monochrome Sin City but less well for 300 where the harsh brown and yellow landscapes were often overbearing IMHO, and the look was utilised to disastrous effect with The Spirit, which finally allowed the critics and general public (at least the few who saw the film) to see Frank Miller for the nihilistic, misanthropic hack he's always been (the excellent Batman: Year One excepted).  I'm not terribly keen on a future Batman film looking like Alien 3. 

I would prefer something a bit more visually coherent (i.e. less drenched in shadows) yet nevertheless still stylised and unafraid to wear its comic-book origins on its sleeve, ideally a colourful and heightened art-deco aesthetic akin to B:TAS and in terms of live-action films, Dick Tracy and to some extent The Shadow (which got a lot wrong but still featured some gorgeous art direction and cinematography).

a batman movie styled like dick tracy would be EPIC!

they would have to use some of the more colorful costumes (batsy's grey and blue, catwoman's purple, etc) but that would be great

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 08:17
Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 07:56

Speaking of which, how is your current fanfic coming along?  Going by the existing chapters and the spoilers you teased it has (had?  :-\ ) a lot of potential.

:-\

i know, i know, sorry. its just way hard for me i guess. it would be easier if i could just do my own stories without having to use the model of the earlier movies but you told me something to the effect of you would only read if it was a burton one so yea lol.

No, not Smallville, definitely not. Like Batman TAS but live-action. A sweet dream.