The next Batman

Started by Edd Grayson, Fri, 12 Jul 2013, 04:51

Previous topic - Next topic
<< Truth be told, I'd much rather have a live action Batman and Robin TV show than another movie.>>

Yes! Yes! Yes! I dream of this too... but sadly it's only a dream.

James Franco has already played a semi-iconic comic-book character so I'll doubt he'll be cast as another one (although admittedly that doesn't stop Chris Evans and Ryan Reynolds playing half of the Marvel Universe between them).  Also, like Dark Knight and Silver Nemesis say, he's not right for the part.

Michael Fassbender, who has already played an even more iconic comic-book character, would be a better fit but I'd personally prefer to see him as James Bond once Daniel Craig 'retires'.  On the basis of the film 'Havoc' Fassbender is one of the few actors who could play the cold, aloof, classy but cruel, and deadly charming British agent exactly as Ian Fleming wrote him.

As for an older actor playing a middle-aged Batman, I'd definitely like to see that for a future Batman series, although my pick would be Jon Hamm who has got the dashing playboy aspect of the character down perfectly on 'Mad Men'.  I see Jim Caviezel more as an older Superman, an otherworldly type with an upstanding moral character.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 13 Jul  2013, 17:45My ideal scenario for the Batman reboot would be to begin with a middle-aged Batman who's already been established for a good ten to fifteen years; depicting events from the perspective of Dick Grayson and using his origin story as an entry point into an ongoing narrative that would culminate in him becoming Nightwing. Instead of retreading ground which Nolan has covered in his trilogy – focusing on a young Batman and his early solo exploits – this would be a progression into fresh territory which, aside from Schumacher's movies, has yet to be covered in a contemporary live action movie.
Eh, this opens the door for Batman being first in the Cinematic DCU. I'm not cool with that.

Of course, having said that, I will now proceed to undermine my own point by throwing out Joe Manganiello's name. He was a kinda sorta contender for Superman but when I look at his features... eh, I could see Bruce there. Sure, he was the iconic character of Flash Thompson in the first Raimi movie but I don't think anybody will struggle to see beyond that.

If they did go for a Batman in his 40s, I'd love Caviezel or Hamm in the role, but as stated, with Cavill as Superman, it's more likely we'll get someone around Cavill's age.

My hopes for the next Batman are:
- a Batman voice that's not the brunt of YouTube parodies
- a Batsuit that's closer to the comic aesthetic.  I'd be very happy with a live action Arkham-type suit.
- more of Batman as a superhero.  Let's truly see him as the World's Greatest Detective and one of the world's best martial artists this time.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 13 Jul  2013, 19:17
Michael Fassbender, who has already played an even more iconic comic-book character, would be a better fit but I'd personally prefer to see him as James Bond once Daniel Craig 'retires'.  On the basis of the film 'Havoc' Fassbender is one of the few actors who could play the cold, aloof, classy but cruel, and deadly charming British agent exactly as Ian Fleming wrote him.
Exactly. Fassbender would be a great replacement for Craig. The concern with all of these things is age. If Craig does just two more, and that takes another 5 years - which is pretty much the deal, Fassbender would be 41. Though Roger Moore started when he was 45 years old and did 7 films. The days of 7 plus seem over to me considering the scheduling, but Fassbender could fit in 3, maybe 4 films. I'd take that.

Back to the Bat, I also want to see a portrayal that is more focused on detective work. Crime scene kits, the lot. Not as bash and crash, but when the time comes he will put you down quickly and quietly. I think it's time we saw a Batman that was established, though perhaps not too 'old', with a set of rogues already established. We don't need their origins all over again. Let's see the rapport Batman has established with them.

QuoteExactly. Fassbender would be a great replacement for Craig. The concern with all of these things is age. If Craig does just two more, and that takes another 5 years - which is pretty much the deal, Fassbender would be 41. Though Roger Moore started when he was 45 years old and did 7 films. The days of 7 plus seem over to me considering the scheduling, but Fassbender could fit in 3, maybe 4 films. I'd take that.
Just one James Bond movie featuring Fassbender would be great but three (perhaps a self-contained trilogy) or four films would be ideal.

QuoteBack to the Bat, I also want to see a portrayal that is more focused on detective work. Crime scene kits, the lot. Not as bash and crash, but when the time comes he will put you down quickly and quietly. I think it's time we saw a Batman that was established, though perhaps not too 'old', with a set of rogues already established. We don't need their origins all over again. Let's see the rapport Batman has established with them.
I agree.  I'd like to see a Batman live-action series akin to B:TAS where most of the key villains have already been established, as has Batman, without any need for lengthy back-story but a focus instead on the villains' individual plans and how Batman sets about thwarting them.  A few scenes in Arkham Asylum and Blackgate Penetentiary where some of those villains could already by incarcerated would also be appreciated thus implying an already fraught history between Batman and his enemies. 

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat, 13 Jul  2013, 19:09
<< Truth be told, I'd much rather have a live action Batman and Robin TV show than another movie.>>

Not if it's done in that shoddy, bland, teen-orientated CW style patented by Smallville (which I don't mind but don't particularly love either) and the disappointing Green Arrow.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 02:44

Not if it's done in that shoddy, bland, teen-orientated CW style patented by Smallville (which I don't mind but don't particularly love either) and the disappointing Green Arrow.

Some of the acting I saw on Smallville was the reason that put me off about the show. I've only seen the pilot for Arrow, which I thought that the concept was good but the acting does not do it any justice. Very soap-opera stuff.

I find it hard to imagine how a Batman TV series could work without making it look as cinematic as possible. And that would still be difficult because, unless you want to continue with that pseudo-reality world Nolan pretended to create, a lot of characters would be hard to adapt convincingly on TV, i.e. Killer Croc, Clayface. Even Gotham City would be hard to imagine convincingly if you wanted to make it look gothic, and make it look high quality too.

On topic, ten years ago I would say Eric Bana would be an alright choice for Batman, but not now. I'd say an unknown would be a better choice.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 03:38
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 14 Jul  2013, 02:44

Some of the acting I saw on Smallville was the reason that put me off about the show. I've only seen the pilot for Arrow, which I thought that the concept was good but the acting does not do it any justice. Very soap-opera stuff.

I find it hard to imagine how a Batman TV series could work without making it look as cinematic as possible. And that would still be difficult because, unless you want to continue with that pseudo-reality world Nolan pretended to create, a lot of characters would be hard to adapt convincingly on TV, i.e. Killer Croc, Clayface. Even Gotham City would be hard to imagine convincingly if you wanted to make it look gothic, and make it look high quality too.
Yes, it's the soap-operish look of these shows that put me off, although like I said before, I kind of like 'Smallville' for what it is even though it's far from my preferred version of Superman.

Also, I agree that a TV budget doesn't really do justice for a character like Batman.  I have a high regard for all the modern Batman movies, even the Schumacher ones to some degree, because good or bad all of them are genuinely 'cinematic' particularly in terms of visuals.

I also hope that whether Batman is next seen in a film or a TV show Warner Bros choose to move on from the pseudo-reality style and instead embrace the more fantastical elements of the character and his world.  Nolan did a great job with the 'realism' angle, now for something different please.

I'd love this type of aesthetic (with a different Batmobile, obviously).  The grandfather clock.  The stairs leading down to the Batcave.  The blimp in Gotham:
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...