Details on the JL movie revealed?

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 3 Jan 2013, 10:36

Previous topic - Next topic
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/excusive-justice-league-movie-character-info-darkseids-elite-lois-lane-alfred-and-more

Our DC Entertainment source sent us over a fresh batch of news on the Justice League movie and characters set to appear.

Previously our source revealed to us the first news on the Man of Steel spearheading a new DC shared movie universe, the Justice League 2015 movie, a new Batman reboot in 2016, a few scenes from the previous DC movies and most recently plans for an Aquaman movie.

Here is the latest:

• Superman is essentially the same character from Man of Steel, and Zack Snyder is consulting regarding the writing of the character.

• Batman: The strategist of the group. Batman doesn't really want to be involved with these super powered beings he considers too powerful. Easily the most complex written.

• Wonder Woman: She has only been in man's world a few short months. The Wonder Woman script Michael Goldenberg is developing will be set before the Justice League movie.

• Green Lantern: Will be Ryan Reynold's character from the Green Lantern movie, but will be freshly written with a more serious tone.

• Flash: The most popular hero in civilian eyes who loves media attention, but when called upon is very serious.

• Martian Manhunter: Alien who has lived on Earth in secret for over a hundred years who has knowledge of Darkseid and his reign.

• Aquaman: Will be the King of Atlantis who has a key role in the film.

• There will also be a heavy military presence in the film which in future rewrites could include characters featured in Man of Steel or even Amanda Waller (Angela Bassett) of which neither are included in the first draft.

• Alfred Pennyworth is in the film in a minor appearance.

• Lois Lane is also in the film in a cameo.

• Darkseid's Elite will be featured who go up against the Justice League early on in the film.

Uh oh don't like this at all. I still think it's a risk introducing a new Batman in a team up film that's unrelated to the last one. Well at least I think so. God forbid if it IS Joseph Levitt  ???

I think this could be done if they were following say the unsuccessful George Clooney. But Christian Bale? Hmmm dunno.

I can already see the reviews of this film with critics pulling it apart for it's similarity to The Avengers. The jokey "Iron Man" hero (The Flash), the square jawed by the book leader "Cap America" (Superman), the mythic hero from a mythic world/city "Thor" (Aquaman), a carry over love interest from another franchise "Pepper Potts" (Lois Lane), a handy butler of one hero "Jarvis" (Alfred) and worst of all.....?

RYAN f***ING REYNOLDS???? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! This ties the next iteration of Batman to that bloody awful Green Lantern film. Dear god.

Even Darkseid and his elite are basically Thanos and that Chintauri empire idea. I just hope this film dosen't halt the next proper Batman movie too much.

Green Lantern was a poorly MADE film. But the concepts established should be continued by a better team.

This attitude of scrap it and start over is quite frustrating at times. Just do the next GL film better...but keep the continuity.

I would rather follow a successful series of films with a risk (is Batman even a risk anymore) than something like the Clooney Batman.

Apart from making Flash the one craving the media spotlight (I guess it worked on the JLA cartoon though), on paper this seems pretty alright to me. While I still think the team up first approach is pretty risky, I see no real red flags here in terms of not handling the characters and their world well. And I agree with Ral, just make a good GL movie and don't scrap was has come before. Recast if you must, but keep the same backstory (a la Ruffalo and Hulk). I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Thu,  3 Jan  2013, 18:54
Green Lantern was a poorly MADE film. But the concepts established should be continued by a better team.

This attitude of scrap it and start over is quite frustrating at times. Just do the next GL film better...but keep the continuity.

I would rather follow a successful series of films with a risk (is Batman even a risk anymore) than something like the Clooney Batman.

My issues personally are that I need to be familar first with a new actor inheriting Batman from Bale before they decide and do the team up thing. Introducing a new guy in the middle of this just doesn't feel geniune enough to me. I want to see a new Batman built up properly as they did with Bale. It's so much more exciting when that new Batman then goes on to meet other heroes and you know exactly what kind of person he'll be. How can you root for someone you've only just met? Plus they won't focus totally on him of course being a team and therefore it'll be harder to latch onto what makes this Batman new, exciting and different. There wasn't much room for character development in Avengers either to be honest. They clearly saved Captain America adjusting to a new time period for his own upcoming sequel. There just wasn't the room to deal with great personal issues like this in the middle of the big smash em up event. Same with Thor and the Natalie Portman plotline. I believe Batman will be similarly shortchanged.

Originally I once read they planned to have a Justice League movie alongside Christian Bale's Batman so in effect there would have been two screen Batman's at the same time. I think it was merely a rumour but I was glad as it always sounded a terrible idea.

Honestly Green Lantern is possibly the worst superhero film I've seen in ages. It wasn't just the appalling and miscast Reynolds (with the jokier Hal Jordan clearly added to match the more successful Iron Man tone) it was pretty much everything lol From the unconvincing CGI guardians, to the naff campy villain, the utter tripe and bizaare re-imaging of Parallax and the dreadful love interest (quite possibly the single most worst superhero girlfriend in movie history). I could go on. My impression of that film was that Green Lantern's powers look great on comic pages but not on a movie screen. Green cartoon race car tracks? Green fighter jets in space? To me it finally looked a bit daft and took me out of my belief in it all.

None of these points matter, the film will be made nevertheless. I think it's a shame as it's only purpose is to match the success of The Avengers. There's no creative story for it to be made. It's simply a means to cash in. I mean all comic book movies are made to make money of course but at least with the Bale films there were still interesting and unique stories to discover. 

If this is how they want to tackle the thing, I'm okay with it.

QuoteBatman doesn't really want to be involved with these super powered beings he considers too powerful.

Not sure if I like this angle. Batman would want to be apart of/keep tabs on the group because of this fear, surely?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri,  4 Jan  2013, 12:58
QuoteBatman doesn't really want to be involved with these super powered beings he considers too powerful.

Not sure if I like this angle. Batman would want to be apart of/keep tabs on the group because of this fear, surely?
Bear in mind we're reading somebody's summary of the alleged storyline/characters. Assuming there's any truth to this, it's reasonable to think there'd be just a bit more to it than the simplistic description up there.

If this turns out to be the direction they're going in, I have very few reservations at the moment. It may have a few too many characters (I wouldn't mind if they started with the trinity and panned out from there), but a reverse direction from Marvel (ie, launch solo franchises off of a group film) could work with characters of this caliber.