Justice League

Started by greggbray, Thu, 30 Aug 2012, 01:42

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: ElCuervoMuerto on Mon,  3 Sep  2012, 07:09The reason I would skip WF and trinity and go straight to JL is that well...if you're gonna do a team up, why not go all out you know?
Because Marvel has already done it and so wide audiences aren't going to get as big a charge out of superheroes teaming up now as they might've before. The novelty is gone. At this point, WB is merely keeping up with the Jones'. Therefore, doing WF and Trinity movies before Justice League of America offers a few unique opportunities that Marvel either didn't or can't match.

(1) It's doing effectively the same job but in a way different from Marvel. (2) In-universe, it makes the concept of the JLA teaming up more plausible. By the time JLA rolls around, it will be very much in character for the three of them to look for help in dealing with X, Y or Z. This is important because classically there hasn't been a Nick Fury/SHIELD type of overseer for the JLA. (3) Our universe, publicity and marketing! Marvel doesn't really have an analog for WF or Trinity so those by themselves are something unique. Even if Marvel did have similar concepts with their icons, odds are they're already in the Avengers anyway. Who's going to get excited about a Captain America/Iron Man team up movie now that we've seen both of 'em as part of the Avengers? Nobody. (4) Also our universe, pacification. It gives the actors something new to work with in each successive film. Putting Henry Cavill into MOS, then WF, then Trinity and then JLA rather than dropping him directly into a Superman sequel is both unorthodox and fodder for him as an actor. Gives him something fresh to work with each time out. Why is this an issue? Well, honestly before Christian Bale slept through TDK, I might not have even thought about it, put it that way.

It's not like it matters anyway because WB would've needed to lay a hell of a lot more ground work for this that simply doesn't exist right now and isn't likely to at this point. My only point in this entire hypothetical scenario is that if WB is going to develop a Justice League of America movie, there's a lot to be gained from doing it differently than the way Marvel handled the Avengers.

The one thing that separates DC from marvel is the atmosphere. And if you're wondering I'll get this out of the way; i'm not partial to one or the other, 3 of my 5 favourite are DC (green lantern, arrow, and batman with daredevil and spidey on the marvel side) but of the ones i read casually only one is DC (Flash vs Ghost rider, luke cage, the hulk, iron man, and captain america).

So anyhow thor is the only marvel character where the setting itself becomes a character on its own. Yes many of them are in new york but that is also a real city with not much imagination.

Superman you have metropolis, which is literally the definition of a capital metropolis city
batman you have the dark and gloomy gotham city
Green arrow has the similar star city with its own corruption and the woods
aquaman has the sea
Green lantern has the blue collar coast city and of course space

They also have unique relationships with each other; Batman and superman are close but don't quite trust each other. Green arrow is generally the wise one of the group. Wonder woman and superman of course end up together. Green lantern does have the early feud with the flash but otherwise great friends with Barry as well as the green arrow but a very rock relationship with Batman.

The last time the DC vs marvel battle rushed a film onto the big screen it was the 1990 disaster known as captain america. How DC can do it differently is build the cross overs better. With the exception of Black widow and Iron man, the avengers has the 6 heroes all meeting each other for the first time. They kind of rushed those dynamics.

What DC can do which marvel did not is start doing cross overs. Kind of similar to the bill bixby TV hulk films with thor and daredevil in the 80's. I think the green lantern may work best because he has dynamics that can work with each of them. It does seem like most of these heroes would not get along or at least be slow to trust each other at first. Especially Batman with any of the rest of the group. Do films with only 2 or 3 and have them intertwine into each others universes. Or even do it as 2 separate franchises; put the more fantasy oriented ones Green Lantern and flash together and the gritty powerless ones Batman and Green arrow together. Superman and wonder woman could go either way, likely the power side although superman and batman do have an interesting dynamic.