Two-Face

Started by Edd Grayson, Tue, 16 Jul 2013, 11:03

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm torn between the two (no pun intended).

I appreciate what Eckhardt gave us with his performance and I adore the effects on him, but at the same time he's barely in TDK and the motivations aren't what I'd like. His obsession with dichotomy is barely scratched and I'll be honest, I love the corny two-themed stuff from the traditional depiction, which is missing from Nolan's in an attempt to be less silly.

Now, would I have preferred Jones to act less manic? Obviously. But considering how recently I've read a lot of Two-Face comics from the 70s/80s and even 90s where its implied Harvey acts manic? It suddenly put Jones' act within the realm of acceptability. And it's not like it's not still effective. If any vicious killer was acting that manic and unpredictable around you in reality? It'd be pretty scary. In reality, I think it's B:TAS that invented the 'calmer' Two-Face portrayal as the standard, so I can't fault TLJ up to a certain point.

He had the dial cranked to 11. He just should have pulled back to 10 or 9.

So I have to give it to Jones as well, simply because the specifics of his portrayal are more like the comic book from the get-go. It's just in the level of intensity where it begins to drop off.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

everyone was acting over the top but in a good way. it was a fun good movie and idk what most of the actors experiences were (i think i read that val once slugged joel schumacher lol) but watching it you get the sense that they were having fun acting out whereas b&r, you get the sense that they were asking themselves "what the f*** are we doing? i am getting paid for this, RIGHT?" lol. tlj is such a grumpy ass that maybe the old fart needed to have a little bit of fun for a change too.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 16 Jul  2013, 16:48Well I can't say I agree with you colors but I respect your POV.  It's not a popular one but its rarity makes it all the more interesting and genuine.  Even though I'm a fan of the Nolan films I still get tired of the 'In Nolan We Trust' mantra which dictates that his Batman films are beyond criticism
And I'm trying to avoid picking on Nolan's films just because they're so dear to a lot of people and thus make such an easy target. His trilogy is over, the time for all the pain and anger and vitriol is past so there's no sense losing your mind about his movies on Internet forums anymore.

Relax Val, we're selling toys - Joel Schumacher  :D

I just want to add my 2 cents on TLJ as Two-Face.

People forget that the Two-Face in Batman Forever is late in his career.  When we first see him, it has already been 2 years since Batman first captured him ("2nd anniversary of the day I captured him").  He had already spent much of that time locked up in Arkham Asylum.  So this version of Two-Face is a little bit more insane.

Two-Face in The Dark Knight had just become Two-Face.. and unfortunately was killed off soon after which I won't get into..

My personal opinion is that TLJ is a great actor, and I had no problems with his performance as Two-Face.  My only problem is that he is overshadowed by The Riddler for the second half of the movie.  TLJ does great over the top villains, as he did in Under Siege (where he played a terrorist/hijacker) a few years earlier and Blown Away (mad bomber).  If you watch those other performances then his performance as Two-Face doesn't seem that out of place.  Besides, it fit the tone of the movie.

And if you read many of the 1940s Two-Face comics, the character is just as over the top as he is in Batman Forever.  In fact many scenes of Two-Face are directly from the comics.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sat,  9 Apr  2016, 00:55
I just want to add my 2 cents on TLJ as Two-Face.

People forget that the Two-Face in Batman Forever is late in his career.  When we first see him, it has already been 2 years since Batman first captured him ("2nd anniversary of the day I captured him").  He had already spent much of that time locked up in Arkham Asylum.  So this version of Two-Face is a little bit more insane.

Two-Face in The Dark Knight had just become Two-Face.. and unfortunately was killed off soon after which I won't get into..

My personal opinion is that TLJ is a great actor, and I had no problems with his performance as Two-Face.  My only problem is that he is overshadowed by The Riddler for the second half of the movie.  TLJ does great over the top villains, as he did in Under Siege (where he played a terrorist/hijacker) a few years earlier and Blown Away (mad bomber).  If you watch those other performances then his performance as Two-Face doesn't seem that out of place.  Besides, it fit the tone of the movie.

And if you read many of the 1940s Two-Face comics, the character is just as over the top as he is in Batman Forever.  In fact many scenes of Two-Face are directly from the comics.

I suppose you make a valid point. But I think the point of contention some people might have with Two-Face isn't because a little bit more insane, but rather he's too over-the-top for their tastes.

Personally, I thought the movie already had an over-the-top villain in the Riddler, and I would've preferred a more serious Two-Face to contrast the partnership.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Every time I see his introduction of his character (right before the reveal of his scar side) I keep thinking how he should of stuck with that performance. Even when he meets riddler for the first time wasnt that bad

An angry, irritated TLJ would've been a sight to behold. He can do that as good as anybody.

He had some moments of seriousness but this is Batman Forever we're talking about.  It largely follows the format of the 60s show where the villains are campy and over the top.  I don't know if a 'serious' Two-Face (like Aaron Eckhardt) would work alongside Jim Carrey's Riddler.

TBH my favourite version is the BTAS Two-Face.  But as far as live-action goes, Tommy is my favourite by far.  I think his performance is unfairly criticised.  I like it more than Carrey's Riddler.  Plus he was in some really good action scenes.

BTAS' Two-Face is excellent and still the best. Eckhart was good as Dent, however the Two-Face side of things didn't satify my tastes. In some ways, I think the character needs to be reclaimed. He's okay in the Arkham games, I guess. But more or less became the butt of the joke. He became Catwoman's easy target.