Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 31 Jul 2014, 17:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Good point. More time spent getting the scripts perfect can only be a good thing. But it's still frustrating having to wait. I think we were spoiled getting 26 amazing episodes in under a year.

I'm hoping they'll plot out seasons 3 and 4 together, much like Drew Goddard did with the first two seasons. Hopefully that way we won't have to wait long for the fourth season after the third finishes.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 22 Jul  2016, 22:30Good point. More time spent getting the scripts perfect can only be a good thing. But it's still frustrating having to wait. I think we were spoiled getting 26 amazing episodes in under a year.

I'm hoping they'll plot out seasons 3 and 4 together, much like Drew Goddard did with the first two seasons. Hopefully that way we won't have to wait long for the fourth season after the third finishes.
Not sure how likely that is. A lot of time will be taken up with Defenders. No idea when a fourth season will even be logistically feasible.

2018 release date confirmed for season 3: http://screencrush.com/jessica-jones-daredevil-punisher-2018-defenders/

Meanwhile Matt Damon has revealed Daredevil is his favourite superhero:

The man has taste.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  1 Aug  2016, 19:52
2018 release date confirmed for season 3: http://screencrush.com/jessica-jones-daredevil-punisher-2018-defenders/

Meanwhile Matt Damon has revealed Daredevil is his favourite superhero:

The man has taste.

Keep in mind he is childhood friends with Ben Affleck who also said Daredevil was his favourite character growing up (though that may have been a promotional thing for the film). Seems he was a comic fan though and since we know he can do action and sci-fi, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't appeared in a comic film or show yet. Perhaps hawkeye should marvel ever bring that character to the small screen?

It sounds like Affleck's a fan:

Quote"The Netflix show does really cool stuff," he continued. "I feel like that was there for us to do with that character, and we never kind of got it right. I wanted to do one of those movies and sort of get it right."
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/batman/news/a816995/ben-affleck-hates-daredevil/

Meanwhile Charlie Cox has defended Affleck's Daredevil:

Quote"I actually really, really liked the film and thought Ben Affleck did a really good job. I think the film is tonally a bit confused [but] I actually really enjoyed it," he said.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/11/07/netflix-daredevil-stars-are-fans-of-ben-afflecks-daredevil-movie/

It's a shame Ben's so down on the 2003 movie. I've said this before, but it bears repeating – the Daredevil: Director's Cut is a good superhero film and a significant improvement over the theatrical cut. Anyone who hasn't seen it yet should check it out.

Meanwhile here's some gorgeous fan art inspired by the Netflix show:

I enjoy the 2003 Daredevil movie as a noble failure. It got far more right than it did wrong. Ultimately I think it aimed for too much. It put Daredevil through a slightly deconstructive character arc you'd think should wait for a sequel.

A fun but slightly dark intro movie pitting Daredevil against Kingpin and Bullseye followed by a more introspective, grittier character piece sequel featuring Elektra would've been a solid one-two combo. Basically even the director's cut (hell, especially the director's cut) is a trilogy all in one movie. As such, none of the passages and movements really have a chance to breathe.

Then again, how many movies can be accused of having too many good ideas, too many good characters, too much good acting? A noble failure.

They certainly did try to cram a lot of the mythology into one film:

•   Daredevil's origin from The Man Without Fear
•   The Elektra saga
•   The Fall of the Kingpin
•   Set pieces adapted from various Bullseye stories

In Mark Steven Johnson's defence, that movie was made in an era before shared universes, back when superhero films were standalone affairs and there was no guarantee you'd get a sequel. I suppose they felt they had to cover as much ground in as little time as possible. I think the success of the Netflix show has proven the long-form storytelling structure of a TV series works better for this particular character than a feature film. Still, I'm glad the film exists. If nothing else, it has a certain nostalgic charm to it. It's very much of that post-Matrix vintage, back when male characters were all wearing trench coats, female characters were all wearing leather pants and tank tops, and fight scenes were dominated by excessive wire-fu and bullet time effects. It's very much of its time.

With regards to the Director's Cut, I respect Johnson for having the wisdom to not only add footage, but also to cut down some of the weaker aspects from the theatrical edit. The Elektra material in particular was always an issue, so it was a smart move to trim some of her scenes (two of her scenes were removed entirely). Most of the other characters – Ben, Foggy, Karen, Manolis, Wesley, etc – actually got more screen time in the DC. Elektra's the only character who got less. And the film benefits from it IMO.

Sat, 15 Apr 2017, 12:55 #77 Last Edit: Tue, 8 May 2018, 22:33 by Silver Nemesis
It's interesting to note certain changes that have occurred in the Daredevil comics since the TV series started. For one thing, Matt is looking more and more like Charlie Cox. Recent artists are generally depicting him with darker hair and stubble on his chin.

Marvel changes the height and weight stats for their heroes from time to time. Until recently, Daredevil was meant to be 6'0 and 200lbs. Now he's 5'11 and 185lbs, which is almost exactly the same as Cox's stats.

Matt's secret identity has been restored and he's relocated back to New York. He's also about to become a member of the Defenders, like his MCU counterpart.

The 'world on fire' visualisation of Matt's radar sense has appeared in some of the more recent comics.

Daredevil's current costume is darker. And his mask is sometimes drawn with the nose covered (depending on the artist), similar to the mask in the TV show.

There have been other subtle nods too, like the Italian gladiator movie poster on the wall of Melvin Potter's workshop, or the occasional reference to the New York Bulletin, or the recent introduction of Father Jordan as a Lantom-like figure for Matt to confide in. As someone who wasn't enamoured with Mark Waid's light-hearted Silver Age approach to the character, I have to say I approve of all these changes. It feels like the comic book Daredevil has returned to his dark roots and is back to his old self again. And I believe the TV series is at least partly to credit for that.

On the subject of the TV show, Charlie Cox has recently said they're to start filming season 3 later this year (woo-hoo!). Jessica Jones season 2 is also about to commence filming. This raises the problem of which series will get the spring release date in 2018 and which will have to wait until summer. I'm hoping DD gets the spring release. Partly because it means I don't have to wait as long to see it, partly because I enjoyed the fact the first two seasons were released in spring, and partly because – if season 3 is an adaptation of Miller and Mazzucchelli's Daredevil: Born Again, as many of us suspect – it's the perfect superhero story for Easter. Born Again is essentially an allegory for the Passion:

•   Matt is betrayed by someone close to him who sells him out in exchange for cheap material gain (a fix of heroine instead of thirty pieces of silver).

•   Matt is publicly defamed and accused of a crime of which he is innocent.

•   Matt is scourged by his enemy and brutalised to the brink of death.

•   Matt staggers around the streets of New York, mirroring Christ's walk to Golgotha. During this walk, Matt falls three times.

•   Matt is pieced in the side.

•   Matt then symbolically 'dies' and is held in his mother's arms in an image that consciously evokes the Pietà.

•   There's also an obvious crucifixion image in one chapter, with the cross above Matt's bed serving to highlight the significance of his pose.

•   Several days pass while Matt convalesces. Eventually he rises again stronger than before, and returns to save his friends. Themes of resurrection and redemption feature prominently.

Now I'm not expecting a literal scene-for-scene adaptation of this story. But if it is referenced in the main plot of season 3, and if the most important themes and images are preserved, then it would be insane not to release it around Easter.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 15 Apr  2017, 12:55It's interesting to note certain changes that have occurred in the Daredevil comics since the TV series started. For one thing, Matt is looking more and more like Charlie Cox. Recent artists are generally depicting him with darker hair and stubble on his chin.
What I'm about to say is rank hypocrisy on my part.

Usually this bothers me. I don't like it when comics conform to movies or shows. Comics should be their own thing. Partly that's because a lot of movie concepts might not translate so well to comics (Superman's crystal fortress, for example). But mostly it's that comics should always be their own thing in my opinion. I don't like the idea of the tail wagging the dog.

But, because I'm a hypocrite, I'm okay with these things appearing in Daredevil comics for some reason. It might just be that I dig Cox so much in the role.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 15 Apr  2017, 12:55Now I'm not expecting a literal scene-for-scene adaptation of this story. But if it is referenced in the main plot of season 3, and if the most important themes and images are preserved, then it would be insane not to release it around Easter.
This has been the golden egg for a long while now. Before Marvel reacquired the character, a movie reboot was supposedly going to be an adaptation of BA.

Honestly, that's a story you have to build up to in order for it to work. And at this point, I think the Netflix show has earned BA. I might prefer saving BA for season 4 but if it happens in season 3, oh well, I'll still be into it.

Considering how many "loose adaptations" of comic stories fall apart when they get translated to other media (Civil War, for example), I happen to think it might be best to follow the comic story as closely as possible.

Mon, 17 Apr 2017, 23:12 #79 Last Edit: Tue, 8 May 2018, 22:33 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 15 Apr  2017, 22:30What I'm about to say is rank hypocrisy on my part.

Usually this bothers me. I don't like it when comics conform to movies or shows. Comics should be their own thing. Partly that's because a lot of movie concepts might not translate so well to comics (Superman's crystal fortress, for example). But mostly it's that comics should always be their own thing in my opinion. I don't like the idea of the tail wagging the dog.

But, because I'm a hypocrite, I'm okay with these things appearing in Daredevil comics for some reason. It might just be that I dig Cox so much in the role.

For me, it depends on whether the changes are an improvement or a detriment to the source material. Sometimes filmmakers contribute inventive suggestions that add depth to the mythology. Other times they screw things up in an attempt to dilute the material and make it fit a pre-existing mould. As an example, I like the idea of the comic book Cobblepot having fused digits on his hands as I feel it adds weight to his physical insecurity, gives him a reason to wear gloves and legitimises his 'Penguin' moniker. But I don't particularly like it when the comic book Penguin is depicted with pointy teeth or other DeVito-esque characteristics.

In the case of Daredevil, the TV show is extremely close to the comics to begin with. Especially when it comes to the characterisation of Matt. They took the best aspects of several different writers' work – mostly Miller, Bendis and Loeb – and fused them into a definitive take that nails the essence of the source material. Admittedly there are one or two changes when it comes to some of the villains (mostly Owlsley in season 1 and Elektra in season 2), but otherwise it's spot on.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again – I've yet to see a 100% accurate live action portrayal of Bruce Wayne; one that captures all the major facets of the character in the correct balance. But Matt Murdock, who I would argue is a more complex and layered character than Wayne, is faithfully and comprehensively captured in the Daredevil TV series. He's right there on the screen, practically interchangeable with his comic book counterpart. One day I'd love to see the comic book Batman translated with the same accuracy (IMO he has been in animation, but not yet in live action). So while the TV show may be very different from what Waid was doing back in 2015, it was nevertheless true to best eras of the comic's history. By bringing the current comics in line with the TV series, they've essentially regressed them to an earlier vintage. And I consider that a good thing. Unless this is your idea of a definitive Daredevil:

I'm also happy with the comics using Charlie Cox's likeness, mainly because he looks an awful lot like the comic book Matt anyway. Obviously there are variations in how the character is drawn from one artist to the next, but the most common recurring features – his Irish looks, strong chin and jaw line, prominent eyebrows, slightly pouty lips, overall height and build – are consistent with Cox's appearance. Charlie bears an especially striking resemblance to Tomm Coker's version of Matt from Daredevil Noir (2009).

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 15 Apr  2017, 22:30This has been the golden egg for a long while now. Before Marvel reacquired the character, a movie reboot was supposedly going to be an adaptation of BA.

Mark Steven Johnson also intended to adapt it as a sequel to his 2003 film. Hence Kingpin discovering Matt's secret during the final showdown. The director's cut also features the BA scene where Maggie visits Matt in hospital after he's first blinded.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 15 Apr  2017, 22:30Honestly, that's a story you have to build up to in order for it to work. And at this point, I think the Netflix show has earned BA. I might prefer saving BA for season 4 but if it happens in season 3, oh well, I'll still be into it.

I wouldn't mind them saving BA for season 4 if they do the Bullseye storyline in season 3 and have it end on a cliffhanger with Kingpin learning Daredevil's identity. In the comics, Fisk discovered Matt's secret in Born Again. But Bullseye first tried telling him Matt was DD back in Daredevil Vol 1 #181, only Fisk didn't believe him. This was the same issue where Daredevil paralysed Bullseye. Something similar could happen in season 3 of the TV show. Have Bullseye discover Matt's secret identity and try to convince Fisk, only for the latter to disbelieve him. Then Bullseye goes after Matt in the season finale and ends up having his spine shattered. When Fisk finds out what happened to Lester, he realises Bullseye was right about Matt all along. Then they could amalgamate BA with Nocenti's Typhoid Mary storyline for season 4 (those stories go together extremely well). But I'll be equally happy if they use BA and Bullseye in season 3.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 15 Apr  2017, 22:30Considering how many "loose adaptations" of comic stories fall apart when they get translated to other media

Alas, I fear that's what we're in for with Thor: Ragnarok's 'adaptation' of Planet Hulk.