Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy

Started by The Dark Knight, Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 02:03

Previous topic - Next topic
What do people think of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy?

She's close to the comics:

Her flower ball costume is a near pitch perfect recreation of her early appearances.
Enamours men with her love dust.
Bruce hallucinates about her.
Uses wigs as disguises and meets Bruce.
Can control vines.
Spreads seeds of mutated plants.

Her entrance is memorable. Revealing herself from the gorilla suit, falling down to be grabbed by absolutely enamoured men, with everyone looking at her in awe. Men falling down to be literally walked all over by her boots, subservient. The crowd bidding with money they probably don't have, but not caring, swept up in the moment. Great music here from Elliot Goldenthal as well. Hypnotising and glamorous.

She was over the top, but entertaining. She looked great for the most part - didn't like the drag queen one though.

She kills people - Woodrue, the guards mentioned by Gordon upon her arrival into Gotham, the two Arkham guards, does her best to kill Nora and then Robin at the end as well.

Her plot, along with Freeze's, is simplistic. Freeze Gotham and populate it with killer plants. But really, no less silly than blowing up Gotham in TDK Rises with a nuke based on a flimsy argument. Bottom line, Ivy had no qualms about it. "So many people to kill, so little time."

To her, people were just pawns. Case in point Gordon. She love dusts him into a drunken state just to get the rooftop key to sabotage the bat signal. When she has what she needs, he's quickly forgotten. Bane was just another person for her to order around. She liked her men subservient.

i LOVED her. she like straight up OOZED sex. omg. watching her and michelle as selina were like revelations for a girl. like "oh, so THIS is how it is done."  ;D

Yeah she was fantastic. I believe Demi Moore almost got cast as her. Thurman's OTT "glamour puss" Ivy voice sounded extremely like Diane Pershing's vocal portrayl from the animated series. I don't think that was intentional but it sure reminded me of it. Much like Robbie Rist's Michaelangelo voice in the Ninja Turtles live action films, keeping the "surfer accent" of Townsend Coleman's cartoon series portrayl.

I don't like how they colour Poison Ivy these days in the comics. Giving her all green skin like a mutant. Ruins her sexiness for me lol Time to change her back if not already. Fortunately no such issues back in 1997 when the lovely Uma emerged from that gorilla suit.

I never knew at the time the music Elliot Goldenthal used was from a famous rock song, "Poison Ivy". My dad always knew but it wasn't until recently I heard the original (and even a Rolling Stones cover). What can I say? That song was a perfect choice lyrically. Kinda cool the character has a "theme song". How many Batman villains have something like that to their name? A friend of mine who enjoys the Batman movies liked the music so much she uses it for her bellydancing lessons (in which the Goldenthal version is quite popular for use).

Here is the original from The Coasters (there has been a whole slew of covers of this track) from the days of the 50's. Recognise the tune?:

I kinda like this particular cover. Never heard of the band though:

Mick Jagger himself and his Rolling Stones:

The remake heard on the Batman and Robin soundtrack album which I just heard for the first time this second. For a second there I thought the vocalist was the lady out of 90's group "M People" lol

And the sexy sounding Goldenthal orchestral heard in the film of course. I swear Madonna took the opening bars of this version (or something very similar sounding) for use in in her middle eastern version of "Like a Virgin" during the "Blonde Ambition Tour". Go check it out and compare it's uncanny: