Batman Returns Novelization Analysis

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 22 May 2012, 16:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 22 May 2012, 16:39 Last Edit: Tue, 22 May 2012, 16:43 by The Dark Knight
For the 20th Anniversary of Batman Returns, I have written an analysis of Craig Shaw Gardner's Batman Returns novelization.

Here it is:

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2012/5/22/batman-returns-novelization-analysis

Killer article, made a horrible day a little bit better. It's just the wrong moment, I'm not in the mood to go into points of special interest etc, but... great work TDK. Made me want to seek and order the book if I'm able to find it (as it's the only Bat-novelization I still don't have).

Excellent, feature Dark Knight, and very well written! I've never actually read the novelizations of either of Burton's films. I've read the comic adaptations, but not the novels. So this was all new to me.

More than ever, it makes me want to see the deleted/alternate scenes released. Presumably the novel was based on the shooting script, so odds are some of these different scenes were filmed. I'd love to see the Batskiboat entering the sewers on the river. And the scene with Shreck and Santa Claus sounds hilarious. They really should have included that one.

Perhaps the most interesting difference was the bit with Batman getting ready to shoot the Penguin. I've read commentaries that have noted Batman doesn't kill anyone after meeting Catwoman. These postulate that by seeing aspects of himself in her, he realises he's not above the law and changes his moral code accordingly (which ties in with what Bruce tells Dick about revenge in Batman Forever). But this ending implies Batman hasn't changed at all. It's much darker and coldblooded.

Anyway, great feature. The 20th anniversary's off to a good start!

holy sh*t this sounds awesome. i laughed out loud at the cockroach part. i've got to find this book and read it.