Plot SPOILERS!

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 1 Aug 2011, 04:53

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteI remember reading somewhere that most the scenes in 30 Days of Night were shot during the day time, then adjusted in post-production using the day-for-night process. So there's a good chance these TDKR scenes will take place at night too. They may have shot the scenes during the daytime so the snow would show up better on film.
I hope that's the case 'cause neither Batman nor Bane look that good in the daylight here, in my opinion.

When I first saw the Bane mask, I wasn't too bothered by the changes, but now that I see full shots of his get-up....he just doesn't look much like Bane to me.  Silver Nemesis brought up a good point that there's a closer similarity to Hush (but with a warped gimp mask instead of the bandaged Invisible Man look).  I had more of a negative reaction to how they were doing Joker's make-up in The Dark Knight, but at least he had the purple suit and the right colors that he was recognizable as Joker.

Still, I'm interested in how the character is written and performed.  But, as I usually feel with Nolan's Batman films, I'm not a fan of the visuals.  While Nolan and company seem to strive for a more "realistic" look to the characters, the designs for the Batsuit and Bane's outfit end up looking more silly and ugly to me than the comic book designs.

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

It was as I suspected. They can't go anywhere else.  and... it sounds boring. Nolan limited himself far too greatly with his "realism." Tally isn't goods for anything but being something to stare at in any media. Bane, I'm sorry, shouldn't be running the villain pool, especially looking like that. What the hell is this, a cyber punk Easy Rider remake?

Christ. The League of Ninjas...again....deliver me!

Sat, 6 Aug 2011, 02:52 #12 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Aug 2011, 02:56 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Sat,  6 Aug  2011, 01:19
It was as I suspected. They can't go anywhere else.  and... it sounds boring.
Yes. 100% correct. As everybody knows, Nolan is not my Batman. My Batman exists in the video games at the moment. Arkham Asylum/Arkham City are dark and fun. And guess what? They throw in the classic villains in their recognisable classic costumes. If someone is called Catwoman, they do their own version, but respect the character to put a mask and cat ears on. They also have varied comic book plots. You know, where this guy called Bane is much taller in comparison to Batman, and uses venom to blow himself up like a balloon. Seriously, bring on Arkham City. The Dark Knight....Rises isn't exactly stoking my fire.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  6 Aug  2011, 02:52
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Sat,  6 Aug  2011, 01:19
It was as I suspected. They can't go anywhere else.  and... it sounds boring.
Yes. 100% correct. As everybody knows, Nolan is not my Batman. My Batman exists in the video games at the moment. Arkham Asylum/Arkham City are dark and fun. And guess what? They throw in the classic villains in their recognisable classic costumes. If someone is called Catwoman, they do their own version, but respect the character to put a mask and cat ears on. They also have varied comic book plots. You know, where this guy called Bane is much taller in comparison to Batman, and uses venom to blow himself up like a balloon. Seriously, bring on Arkham City. The Dark Knight....Rises isn't exactly stoking my fire.
FTW

Did I ever tell you that.. you're my hero?

This whole notion of "if the essence of the character is there all will be well" is ridiculous. The Joker had make-up and that is foreign to the history of the character. But the point is, visually, he looked like The Joker. He had a white face, red lips and green hair. Realism should present the comic image as it is, but have it explained differently. Heath's Joker hit the mark, but "Catwoman" doesn't - because it doesn't even try. No mask, no ears. Nothing. If the character looks nothing like the character, it doesn't matter if the essence is there or not. At that point they truly become "in name only". It's like dressing Bruce in his BB balaclava and saying it's the final product. When we know it's not. It's freeze framing the character's development. Or even worse, remove the balaclava altogether and instead have a bare face with night vision goggles strapped on. It's not good enough. And as Burton Batman fans know, Batman Returns is dragged over the flaming hot coals for being "Batman in name only" all of the time. Yet we are treated to classical villain, gadget, vehicle and city images. People can like or dislike what Burton gave in terms of characterisation, but there is no valid argument to claim what we received was not Batman, The Joker, Catwoman or The Penguin. They were instantly recognisable. And because of that, they are not "in name only" as this is.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  6 Aug  2011, 06:00
This whole notion of "if the essence of the character is there all will be well" is ridiculous. The Joker had make-up and that is foreign to the history of the character. But the point is, visually, he looked like The Joker. He had a white face, red lips and green hair. Realism should present the comic image as it is, but have it explained differently. Heath's Joker hit the mark, but "Catwoman" doesn't - because it doesn't even try. No mask, no ears. Nothing. If the character looks nothing like the character, it doesn't matter if the essence is there or not. At that point they truly become "in name only". It's like dressing Bruce in his BB balaclava and saying it's the final product. When we know it's not. It's freeze framing the character's development. Or even worse, remove the balaclava altogether and instead have a bare face with night vision goggles strapped on. It's not good enough. And as Burton Batman fans know, Batman Returns is dragged over the flaming hot coals for being "Batman in name only" all of the time. Yet we are treated to classical villain, gadget, vehicle and city images. People can like or dislike what Burton gave in terms of characterisation, but there is no valid argument to claim what we received was not Batman, The Joker, Catwoman or The Penguin. They were instantly recognisable. And because of that, they are not "in name only" as this is.

You are a GOD, sir!

Get a cave you two!  ;D

Good points raised here....really good to read.

Sun, 7 Aug 2011, 02:19 #17 Last Edit: Sun, 7 Aug 2011, 02:31 by Silver Nemesis
Some witnesses are claiming to have heard Hardy speaking in his Bane voice. According to them, he uses a British accent and his voice sounds weak and wheezy, like an old man. Further rumours suggest the mask he wears may be some kind of breathing apparatus, similar to Darth Vader's mask. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt. I don't think Nolan would stray that far from the source material. Especially not after he's already taken so many liberties with Bane's costume and appearance.

In the comics Bane's father was King Snake, a British super villain. But Bane didn't find this out until he was an adult, and he himself was raised in a Santa Priscan prison without contact with his Dad. So there's no reason whatsoever why he should have a British accent. Not unless Nolan has completely discarded his origin story from the comics.

EDIT: There's an audio recording floating around online that purports to be Hardy speaking in his Bane voice on location at Heinz Field. Here it is. Keep in mind it could turn out to be fake, but quite a few people are claiming it's real.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  7 Aug  2011, 02:19
Some witnesses are claiming to have heard Hardy speaking in his Bane voice. According to them, he uses a British accent and his voice sounds weak and wheezy, like an old man. Further rumours suggest the mask he wears may be some kind of breathing apparatus, similar to Darth Vader's mask. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt. I don't think Nolan would stray that far from the source material. Especially not after he's already taken so many liberties with Bane's costume and appearance.
Come on, now. Nolan is willing to go the whole way with his vision. He's been given carte blanche after TDK. If this weak voice is a side-effect of prolonged drug use, it's still doesn't cut it. Bane is meant to be a strong character in every facet. His appearance, behaviour and indeed, his voice. The guy barks orders in the comics. He gets things done. The voice of a human being is their very soul. It represent yourself. And by listening to this, Bane doesn't chill to the bone or intimidate. Bane is not meant to be a subject of ridicule or pity.

I hope it's fake because both the voice and the dialogue sound absolutely terrible.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...