Nolan to mentor Superman reboot

Started by The Dark Knight, Tue, 9 Feb 2010, 16:24

Previous topic - Next topic

I really don't know what to think about that.  Is it even true?

Tue, 9 Feb 2010, 20:00 #2 Last Edit: Tue, 9 Feb 2010, 21:31 by thecolorsblend
Superman is my fave character.  Ever.  Singerman from 2006 just made me want to effin' puke.  We should've gotten a reboot then.  But even if the Donnerverse had to be closed out, I would've preferred a better ending than that miserable piece of crapola.

As to Nolan mentoring a Superman reboot... I've got some serious effin' reservations there.  This isn't intended to be more Nolan vs. Burton BS (I'd be even more freaked out if Burton was back in), it's about Nolan's sensibilities as a filmmaker.  He seems attracted to driven, obsessive loners living in a grittily realistic environment.  Such an approach is not entirely antithetical to Batman.

It is, however, everything that Superman is not.

Therefore, recruiting Nolan on this ain't necessarily a good thing.  I'd sooner turn Superman over to the Wachowski brothers.  They're noted comic book junkies so you wouldn't have to worry all that much about the film straying too far from the funny books.

Is this even true?  Damned if I know.  But I hope not.

Nikki Finke breaks stories all the time and is rarely wrong. So I'm going to trust the report.

As a huge Superman fan, I'm glad that there's some progress being made on this film. I'm also glad Nolan is involved. Although he's not a Superman expert, he's widely respected by the comic book fanbase and will likely provide quality input.

Wed, 10 Feb 2010, 01:20 #4 Last Edit: Wed, 10 Feb 2010, 01:22 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: phantom stranger on Tue,  9 Feb  2010, 20:50
Nikki Finke breaks stories all the time and is rarely wrong. So I'm going to trust the report.
It is absolutely true. I hear from BOF we should expect an official announcement over Summer.

I like Superman, but I?m no way the same massive fan as colors. But I have reservations as well, even if Nolan is mentoring and not directing.

A few thoughts for now:

Does Nolan adequately understand the Superman character - or is he just there for his franchise rebooting abilities?

Does Nolan have the ability to present pure fantasy? Surely he wouldn?t apply some form of realism nonsense to Superman and his world, right? Or some form of comic alterations to make his version work.

I?m not sure his sensibilities suit Superman, given he directs dark psychological films. There is a chance any Nolan overseen production will come off too heavy, ?intellectual? and pretentious.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 10 Feb  2010, 01:20
Does Nolan have the ability to present pure fantasy? Surely he wouldn?t apply some form of realism nonsense to Superman and his world, right? Or some form of comic alterations to make his version work.

...and if Nolan is able to deal with a purely fantastical character, why wasn't he able to inject more fantastical elements into his Batman films (that would allow more easily for the incorporation of the more outlandish characters such as The Penguin, Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze among others)?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not bashing Nolan.  I'm a massive fan of TDK.  However, I do sometimes regret that his Batman completely eschew any comic-book sensiblity whatsoever.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 10 Feb  2010, 01:38
Don't get me wrong.  I'm not bashing Nolan.  I'm a massive fan of TDK.  However, I do sometimes regret that his Batman completely eschew any comic-book sensiblity whatsoever.
Indeed. Nolan?s films iron out the fantastical in some fashion, or merely focus on one aspect of the material that suits his version. There is a risk he will do the same with Superman. Especially when he?s hopping back and forth from both franchises. 

Wed, 10 Feb 2010, 04:13 #7 Last Edit: Wed, 10 Feb 2010, 11:36 by phantom stranger
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 10 Feb  2010, 01:46
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 10 Feb  2010, 01:38
However, I do sometimes regret that his Batman completely eschew any comic-book sensiblity whatsoever.
Indeed. Nolan?s films iron out the fantastical in some fashion, or merely focus on one aspect of the material that suits his version.

I don't think it's fair to characterize him as a guy that "eschews" fantasy. He really hasn't made that many films. Of the ones that were based on fantasy (The Prestige and his Batman films) he stuck to the material. There was plenty of fantasy in the Batman films, ranging from Batman constantly flying (he never does that in the comics) to the Batmobile cruising rooftops.

Nolan is supposedly a big fan of STM.  Is that a good thing?  Hell if I know.

Where is Jett confirming this, TDK?  I can't seem to find it on the overload-with-banners-and-fu.cking-annoying-videos BOF page.

Wed, 10 Feb 2010, 05:56 #9 Last Edit: Wed, 10 Feb 2010, 06:20 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: phantom stranger on Wed, 10 Feb  2010, 04:13
I don't think it's fair to characterize him as a guy that "eschews" fantasy. He really hasn't made that many films. Of the ones that were based on fantasy (The Prestige and his Batman films) he stuck to the material. There was plenty of fantasy in the Batman films, ranging from Batman constantly flying (he never does that in the comics) to the Batmobile crusing rooftops.
Well, fantasy does remain in his Batman films. It?s pretty hard, nigh impossible to iron that out completely given the material.

Certain things you can?t escape, such as Batman gliding around the place. That's what the character does. He tried to explain it with the memory cloth.

Nolan aims for realism and I think he does avoid fantasy where possible. If he can make the comic material more realistic, he will do so.