One of a kind

Started by Vampfox, Tue, 1 Aug 2017, 04:17

Previous topic - Next topic
I was thinking how today's superhero movies are designed with sequels and setting up cinematic universes in mind.
A movie like Batman Returns where the director had almost complete reign over everything would never happen nowadays.
So when you stop and think about it Batman Returns is really a one of a kind movie.

I've wondered about that, actually. Do movie studios demand trilogies? Or is a trilogy merely the most tempting direction for directors to take?

Considering how much money is spent on these movies nowadays, a movie probably has to hit $1 billion before a movie studio will allow a director total creative freedom... although even then, studios have a different definition of "total" than we probably do.

Burton probably had as much freedom as any comic book movie director ever did though. And I can't picture a director being allowed that much latitude ever again.

Quote from: Vampfox on Tue,  1 Aug  2017, 04:17
I was thinking how today's superhero movies are designed with sequels and setting up cinematic universes in mind.
A movie like Batman Returns where the director had almost complete reign over everything would never happen nowadays.
So when you stop and think about it Batman Returns is really a one of a kind movie.
B89 is structured like a standalone and it was basically meant to be a standalone. I think that's why fans responded to it so much. It covered a lot of territory in two hours and had a clear ending. Sure, the war goes on, but the lasting memory is that the Joker died, his gang was locked up and Batman won.

B89 doesn't need Batman Returns, and Batman Returns doesn't really need B89 to exist either. Yes, I'm aware of the connective tissue, but let's face it, they're both standalones with the same cast members. Burton used the second film to explore a side he didn't get to in the first. That's why I'm sure he came back in the first place. It's was kind of like a free hit in that sense.

With all that said, I still feel a sense of unfinished business with the Burtonverse even though I accept Michael and Michelle are probably never going to reprise these roles again in any medium. But geez, give me a comic series like B66.

Burton pushed for Keaton against heavy resistance and look how right he was. I'm sure that's a card Burton got to play to get him the freedom he got with Returns.

We're never going to get another comic book movie intended as a solo adventure anymore the way the Burton films were. They will always be intended to set up sequels.

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  2 Aug  2017, 04:05
We're never going to get another comic book movie intended as a solo adventure anymore the way the Burton films were. They will always be intended to set up sequels.
You're right.

I'm in two minds about this.

Do I want to see more films about these characters? Yes. But are they special events anymore? No.

Sure, it was a different time, but the likes of B89 were big events. It was special and had a level of anticipation that only pure hunger can generate. The Dark Knight is a modern example of this frenzy, and I guess it came out at a time when the McDonald's CBM factory was just starting to really heat up. It was a perfect storm.

So in summary, I think the DCEU is striking a good balance. About two films a year keeps us satisfied but still hungry.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  2 Aug  2017, 01:44
But geez, give me a comic series like B66.
I'd love a comic continuation of the Burton movies. But sadly that will never happen since Warner Bros/DC seem to treat the Schumacher Batman movies as being part of the same universe.

Quote from: Vampfox on Wed,  2 Aug  2017, 15:41Warner Bros/DC seem to treat the Schumacher Batman movies as being part of the same universe.
That's my view as well.

Quote from: Vampfox on Wed,  2 Aug  2017, 15:41
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed,  2 Aug  2017, 01:44
But geez, give me a comic series like B66.
I'd love a comic continuation of the Burton movies. But sadly that will never happen since Warner Bros/DC seem to treat the Schumacher Batman movies as being part of the same universe.
You're right, of course. Technically we already have the Burtonverse continuation with Schumacher's two films. I acknowledge that's the official canon, but we all know things would've been different with Burton at the helm. Therefore a Burtonverse comic continuation would come under the Elseworlds banner. Or, they could simply fit in a couple of adventures that take place before Batman Forever. You're really limiting storytelling potential this way, but it'd be better than nothing I guess.

Since Burton doesn't overly care for comic books, I would be surprised if he had any involvement in overseeing one.

At the end of the day we need to just accept that the Schumacher films are sequels to the Burton films and we will never know what would have been.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  2 Aug  2017, 23:17
Quote from: Vampfox on Wed,  2 Aug  2017, 15:41Warner Bros/DC seem to treat the Schumacher Batman movies as being part of the same universe.
That's my view as well.
True they're meant to be part of the same universe as the Tim Burton films, but it makes me sad to think of Batman Forever and Batman & Robin as squeals to Batman and Batman Returns. 
Nowadays the Schumacher Batman films would be seen as a soft reboot.