Cultural Allusions in Superman: The Movie (1978)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 4 Jan 2019, 19:54

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 8 Jan 2022, 05:12 #10 Last Edit: Sat, 8 Jan 2022, 05:17 by thecolorsblend
Andrew Wyeth, the famous 20th century regionalist painter, was a big influence on the Smallville sequences in STM. Donner and Mankeywhatsis didn't make a big deal out of that in interviews and other stuff. But every once in a while, one or the other would eventually mention Wyeth. How big of an influence was he really? Well, see for yourself.

Mind you, they also mentioned Norman Rockwell, but I have a harder time seeing that.

Those paintings look pretty muted compared to the Smallville shots in S78. But I can see where Donner and Geoffrey Unsworth might've gotten the inspiration from when they constructed the sets and filmed some of the shots. That first painting of the girl looking at the two houses, Christina's World, reminds me a little bit of the Kent family home and farm and how they're spaced out between each other, and the third picture of the man standing at the center of the wheat fields reminds me of Clark saying goodbye to Martha.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei