Which Batman film has the best cinematography?

Started by Batman999, Thu, 2 May 2013, 18:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Out of all the batman films which one in your opinion has the best cinematography?

should any of the cinemotographers got an award for their fine work. explain your reasoning...

I'm a little surprised nobody has decided to reply to this thread but here it goes....

For me, I'd say the '89 film is my personal favorite. I've always loved that classic retro feel merged with the somewhat modern looking fashion, and its influence continued in the Animated Series too. While Returns is probably a better made film, I thought the cinematography was a little too Gothic for my tastes. And not that I care for awards, but I'm glad that '89 was awarded best art direction at the Oscars.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The 89 film. I'm shocked that it didn't receive a Best Cinematography nomination.

I'm leaning toward TDK. In retrospect, I wonder how good it must've looked in IMAX.

For me, it's easily B89. Does BvS count? I always say that's more of a Superman movie that has Batman in it, but if you count that, I might claim that.

But if you're just asking solo Batman movies, B89 for me.

Quote from: Travesty on Thu,  5 Dec  2019, 18:35
Hard to disagree as it's still the purest Batman film we've ever had. Can't wait to see what Greig Fraser comes up with, especially if the noir levels are amped up. Gotham hasn't been depicted in a fully realized way for so long. Nolan's version is legitimate but didn't satisfy my tastes. Schumacher's is about the same - it's a different take but not really my preference. I'm a fan of gloomy streets, and I don't think B89 has been bettered in terms of atmosphere.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  5 Dec  2019, 15:45
I'm leaning toward TDK. In retrospect, I wonder how good it must've looked in IMAX.

Seeing TDK in IMAX for the first time was incredible. Up until that point I hadn't seen anything look that clear in terms of resolution. The 4K gets pretty close as far as replicating the resolution of the 70mm IMAX print.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  5 Dec  2019, 19:44
Quote from: Travesty on Thu,  5 Dec  2019, 18:35
Hard to disagree as it's still the purest Batman film we've ever had. Can't wait to see what Greig Fraser comes up with, especially if the noir levels are amped up. Gotham hasn't been depicted in a fully realized way for so long. Nolan's version is legitimate but didn't satisfy my tastes. Schumacher's is about the same - it's a different take but not really my preference. I'm a fan of gloomy streets, and I don't think B89 has been bettered in terms of atmosphere.
Agreed. I liked Gotham in Returns but it is missing the grimy look of Gotham in the 89 film. I like that you can just see the level of corruption and decay in Gotham by simply looking at the architecture, trash, cast of characters (homeless, and prostitues). Batman Begins probably got the closest to what the 89 Batman did.

If we're talking which Batman movie looks the best, taking into account art direction, set design, etc, then I'd probably say one of the two Burton films. But if we're discussing which has the best cinematography, then I'm inclined to agree with thecolorsblend that Wally Pfister's work on The Dark Knight was the most technically impressive.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  7 Dec  2019, 16:51
But if we're discussing which has the best cinematography, then I'm inclined to agree with thecolorsblend that Wally Pfister's work on The Dark Knight was the most technically impressive.
I'm inclined to side with Wally's work on TDK Rises. In fact, I've found myself preferring a lot of TDK Rises stuff IN THE CONTEXT OF THE NOLANVERSE in recent times. Bane as the best threat, Zimmer's score being his best, the sewer fight rather than the interrogation, and the scenes with Bruce/Alfred and Batman/Gordon for their emotional value. I do find TDK Rises to have the biggest emotional dynamic of the three films, particularly the way Bruce is comprehensively torn down across the runtime.

There are other examples for me to cite, but I do like how this looks: