BATMAN: the ultimate evil

Started by Batman999, Thu, 2 May 2013, 18:28

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm in the middle of reading this book. about half way through and it's a fascinating read so far. obeys the batman ethos mostly with a few slight sociological twists and obviously the main theme is child abuse. 
brilliant read so far. powerful story and the imagery and writing style is excellent and very evocative.

anyone else read this or have any thoughts on it?

--------------------------------
Heres the blurb:

In the heart of Gotham's darkness glows the cold garish neon of the sex industry, the feverish eyes of desperate drug addicts, the streetlights creating shadows in which muggers patiently wait. This is where Batman's most personal—and most savage—battle begins. And where he must confront a vortex of violence so profound that those who survive lose their souls.

Here the night-rider must reach deep within himself to summon the superhuman strength he needs to fight the most vicious and remorseless enemies he has ever faced ... those who traffic in the flesh of children.

In a compellingly written fantasy novel, bestselling author Andrew Vachss brings his razor-sharp talent to one of the most legendary characters of the 20th century—The Batman. While aiding a social worker in her crusade against child abuse, millionaire Bruce Wayne uncovers a shocking revelation about his childhood and his transformation into The Batman—knowledge that nearly destroys him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Ultimate_Evil

I remember buying the comic adaptation of this back when I about 10 years old. It was sealed inside a plastic wallet so I had no idea what the content was like. I just knew it was a Batman comic I could afford with my pocket money. I got it home and started reading it only to discover it was all about paedophilia. It really freaked me out. The comic book store owner shouldn't have sold it to a kid in the first place.