This is my favorite Batman Forum on the internet.....

Started by Batman333, Mon, 13 Aug 2012, 04:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Gregg, you're welcome to come and go as you please here.

Unlike other sites we don't delete members who have contributed to the site, whether it's been a single post or picture upload, without good reason. When I say "good reason" I mean trollish/abusive behaviour. Even then it's after a series of warnings and when other admin are in agreement.

I was also deleted from the site you are referring to for not logging in/posting within a dictated period of time. Which is ridiculous. I signed up again, but am sure to be deleted again for lack of activity.

We only delete inactive members here if they have never contributed to the site and haven't been active in a long time. This is to give a fair representation of the readership of the site, but I wouldn't want to penalise anyone who has contributed to the site in any way.

Sure, a few people have been banned from the site. But only for abusive behaviour, never for having a valid opinion.

A couple of people have left the site. Some through disagreement with me, which I regret...but I have never asked anyone to leave, nor have I forced it. I do miss those people. Anyway, I digress.

Welcome back.

Quote from: greggbray on Mon, 27 Aug  2012, 14:42It thrills me to see that there is a form where Batman can be discussed in a free and open manner without concerns of people being pushed into 'pro' or 'anti' camps.  So good job to all my new and old friends here.  :)
This is worth highlighting. I'm not big on Nolan's movies in general. That said, if you don't like the bit from TDK where Batman flies to Hong Kong, kidnaps Lao and drags him back to the US... I'm sorry, but that's pure Batman. It doesn't make the movie for me but it shows that the movies have some redeeming value. I think it's a bit hasty to simply say "I hate it" or "I love it" when most of us have more complicated opinions than that.

Quote from: greggbray on Mon, 27 Aug  2012, 14:42I found *this* forum (batman-online) somewhere around 2008 (I believe) after a group of peers from the other forum left due to policies that seemed to be in conflict.  Though I've always enjoyed this forum, I stayed with the other forum more, as I had been given moderator status, even as more and more of my peers were either banned or left voluntarily.  There seemed to be a double standard developing over there.  The admins could use put-down language, but those who disagreed could not.  When they were called on the double standard--banned!  I voluntarily left the site, but continued posting on Facebook.  I was then blocked from the FB page, and sent a message telling me that I was being deactivated from the forum entirely.
We're talking around it and that's fine. You know my story from The Other Forum only too well since The Admin Who Must Not Be Named dragged you into it at one point. Suffice it to say, the policy of soliciting opinions and then penalizing people for having opinions... well, let's just say I'm happy that guy isn't likely to ever run for elected office.

In some j@ck0ff podcast or something he did, he outright said that Batman Returns isn't Batman at all. The tone of the thing was generally dismissive. "That Burton garbage was okay for the time but we need a more comics accurate-Batman." Whatever, his site, he can do what he wants, his rules, blah blah blah. But in private messages, I've given you my much less diplomatic assessment of that man and his character so just pretend I'm reasserting those expletives here.

Either way, I'm glad you're sticking around here. I recognize a few That Other Forum refugees and am happy to see them as well.

I don't recall posting on the batman on film site, I visited it a few times but was made well aware that it was a haven for nolanites. I just visited it now and saw the founder openly admits that he gave the 1989 film a weaker review once Begins was released. His ratings are laughable; Batman B-  Batman returns D-    get real! The founder seems to be another typical Nolanite which uses a double standard; he still whines about Keaton getting overshadowed by the villains. I'd think that the Nolanites would have dropped this one given that JOHN BLAKE got more screen time than Bruce Wayne in the recent bat film. He also whines about Keaton kiling yet has no problem with Bale killing two face.

The love this site, although upon reflecting upon myself, I don't know how you all put up with me.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 28 Aug  2012, 06:17The love this site, although upon reflecting upon myself, I don't know how you all put up with me.
Don't be so hard on yourself, your BO isn't that bad.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 28 Aug  2012, 07:00
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 28 Aug  2012, 06:17The love this site, although upon reflecting upon myself, I don't know how you all put up with me.
Don't be so hard on yourself, your BO isn't that bad.
Haha, I put 'the' at the beginning of that sentence when I should've put 'I'.

I'll make sure to buy and apply a stronger dose of deodorant.

Hello, Abraham here...

I was told about this forum after Gregg told me what happened to him "over there". While I do believe I had encountered this site before, I think it was a Burton Batman site only back then. While I love Batman '89, I consider myself mostly a fan of the comic book Batman so I think I archived the link as something for neat occasional reading, but I never realized this was a thriving community itself.

Not to make this introduction only about airing dirty laundry, but for a while had a problem with the attitude of the administration "over there", and while I've never been put down myself, when Gregg told me what happened to him and another member recently I was done. While I still may lurk over there sometimes, I just cant stand being a regular member there anymore given all the attitude and BS. So Gregg told me about this place and here I am. And I'm glad to see some familiar faces (Hi colors!). :D

As for my own personal Batman tastes, the funny thing is that Nolan's version is probably closer to "my" Batman than the previous series. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in TDKR,and kinda felt like it ruined the series to me. Particularly how it cut Batman's tenure down to what...18 months? I like the idea of doings series where you go for "magic realism", but come on, gimme a tenure of 8 to 10 years!  :-[ Not to mention, if we are going for realism here, how the heck did Bruce get back to Gotham now that he's broke? But I digress...Needless to say, I like being at a pace when I can feel I can say that and not feel like the guy with a beer stain in my shirt at a party.

Anyway, looking forward to posting more, see you guys soon!

Quote from: ElCuervoMuerto on Tue, 28 Aug  2012, 21:15(Hi colors!). :D
Greetings.

Quote from: ElCuervoMuerto on Tue, 28 Aug  2012, 21:15As for my own personal Batman tastes, the funny thing is that Nolan's version is probably closer to "my" Batman than the previous series.
The dirty little secret of Nolan's movies is that they're not all bad in my view. Hell, I actually kind of like BB in retrospect. Not too pretentious, seemed vaguely more comfortable being a comic book, etc. It's just that (in my opinion) the bad outweighs the good.

Quote from: ElCuervoMuerto on Tue, 28 Aug  2012, 21:15Particularly how it cut Batman's tenure down to what...18 months?
I've not seen a whole lot of people comment on that but... yeah. Gotta agree. Batman goes from being a legend to being a has-been a bit too quickly. Most people directly affected by the events of TDKRises might not even have a memory about Batman apart from "that lunatic in a mask who terrorized the city for a year".

Anyway. Stick around, man.

Welcome to the site, ElCuervoMuerto! It's great to see so many new people registering lately.

BTW--to the regulars of this forum--thanks for the kind welcomes.  To old friends:  happy to see you on here.  :)