Top 10 Favorite Animated Episodes?

Started by DocLathropBrown, Wed, 30 Jan 2013, 06:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Speaks for itself! All incarnations applicable, and do say a word or two about why!

#10. The Adventures of Batman: "How Many Herring in a Wheelbarrow?" (1968)
------------------
A little Joker story, and one I've enjoyed since childhood. A fun tale that reflects Bats' more adventurous stories of the 70s more than the campy ones of the 60s.

#9. The Batman: "Q&A"
------------------
An unexpectedly great episode featuring a newly invented character. An eerie story of childhood obsession, perhaps darkly mirroring Bruce's (the episode says as much).

#8. Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "Mitefall!"
------------------
A hilarious tale which metatextually sees Bat-Mite trying to get the show cancelled by 'ruining' Batman. References to being "toyetic" and shark-jumping abound. The episode ends as no other Batman show has or will again: knowing their show is finished, the cast is having a farewell party in the Batcave and Deidrich Bader's Batman gives the audience (us) a heartfelt goodbye. Very touching in an bizarre way.

#7. The Batman: "The Rubberface of Comedy/The Clayface of Tragedy"
------------------
This version of a Clayface tale just barely edged out TAS' "Feat of Clay" for inclusion on my list, if only because this Clayface being Bruce's friend is just more tragic and heartening.

#6. Batman: The Animated Series: "His Silicon Soul"
------------------
I love evil doppleganger stories. I admit it. And this one has it all: it's eerie, it's exciting, and it's touching.

#5. Batman: The Animated Series: "Heart of Ice"
------------------
What needs to be said? This episode still gets to me. Every time.

#4. Batman: The Animated Series: "If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?"
------------------
Probably what made The Riddler my favorite Batman rogue. A little chilling, but largely a rousing journey, showing off Batman's intellect.

#3. Batman: The Animated Series: "The Laughing Fish"
------------------
A chilling and brilliant adaptation of two of the best Batman stories ever told in the comics: the titular original and "The Joker's Five Way Revenge." For my money, it's the best TV episode of anything Batman to feature the Clown Prince.

#2. The Adventures of Batman & Robin: "Baby Doll"
------------------
Like "Q&A," this is an original character driving the story. It's compelling, it's creepy, and it has my favorite finale of any TAS episode. The fact that Batman is so sympathetic to Dahl and not just ready to kick the crap out of her speaks volumes about Batman. He's a compassionate soul and if the people he fights sometimes need it, he understands. Poignancy, thy name is "Baby Doll."

#1. Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "Chill of the Night!"
------------------
My favorite portrayal of Batman's origin is the 1980 mini-series "The Untold Legend of the Batman," which is really an amalgamation of all of the pre-crisis elements of Batman's origins. This episode adapts those best elements and is dark, moody, emotional, moving and powerful. Excellent cast performances and well-written drama makes this my favorite TV episode of anything Batman.

Honorable mention: The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians: "The Fear"
------------------
The first portrayal of Batman's origin outside the comics! Servicable and nothing spectacular, but Adam West's turn at protraying Batman seriously is a must-see treat. Particularly his narration about growing up is chilling and very powerful, particularly the line "So I found myself alone in the world. A young boy who secretly screamed for justice..."
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Wed, 30 Jan 2013, 20:11 #1 Last Edit: Sat, 9 Feb 2013, 12:52 by Silver Nemesis
That's a great list, Doc. I'm especially pleased to see 'Chill of the Night!' on there.

QuoteHonorable mention: The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians: "The Fear"
------------------
The first portrayal of Batman's origin outside the comics! Servicable and nothing spectacular, but Adam West's turn at protraying Batman seriously is a must-see treat. Particularly his narration about growing up is chilling and very powerful, particularly the line "So I found myself alone in the world. A young boy who secretly screamed for justice..."

I remember seeing 'The Fear' for the first time back in 2008 and being really impressed by it. It was written by Alan Burnett, who later went on to write Mask of the Phantasm and numerous episodes of Batman: The Animated Series. It was the first time Batman's origins had ever been depicted outside of the comics. And as you say, Adam West plays the role completely straight in this one. I'd cite his serious performance here as evidence of his suitability to play the aging Bruce Wayne in a Batman Beyond movie.

Here's the entire episode for anyone who hasn't seen it yet: