References to the films in the comics

Started by Azrael, Sat, 4 Apr 2009, 07:49

Previous topic - Next topic
I recently saw a panel in DC#850 depicting all four on-screen Batmobiles (Anton Furst's, the Batman Begins one and the two animated cars), something that was obviously a nod to Batman's various incarnations.

Since my comic book knowledge is a bit limited, does anybody know of other (and maybe older) references to elements from the Burton movies in comics?

Anton Furst's Gotham City design was used in the comics for a good part of the 1990's. They also gave him a grapple gun, though it didn't look like the one used in the movies.

You can see a snatch of the Burton Batmobile towards the upper left in this image from All-Star Batman & Robin #4.  I know I've seen that same Batmobile in other issues but I'm too lazy to dig 'em up.

Not sure if this counts, but Kelly Jones always had a pretty Burtonized Gotham.  Of course, that may have just been his natural instinct for how Gotham City ought to look but the similarity is there, if you ask me.

Quote from: batass4880 on Sat,  4 Apr  2009, 21:08
Anton Furst's Gotham City design was used in the comics for a good part of the 1990's. They also gave him a grapple gun, though it didn't look like the one used in the movies.

You're close. DC actually asked Furst to do a complete redesign of the comics Gotham for them, which he did. And yes, it was used from 1990/1991 until the Earthquake storyline in the late 90s. So it wasn't the same designs as the movie, but considering it was done by the same guy, it might as well have been.

The first issue in which Furst's Gotham appeared had come out by the time he committed suicide, and the issue was dedicated to him.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Sun, 5 Apr 2009, 00:47 #4 Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2009, 23:38 by Dark Knight Detective
I believe that these covers support Doc's statement (although they came out in 1992, not 1990/1991):

Sun, 5 Apr 2009, 15:06 #5 Last Edit: Sun, 5 Apr 2009, 15:08 by silenig
Quote from: batass4880 on Sat,  4 Apr  2009, 21:08

Ah, good times.. I remember some comics images with a very "Gothic" looking Gotham here and there. I didn't know they officialy asked for Furst to do designs, I just thought artists used it as visual reference, they thought Gotham is "supposed" to look this way. This may be true for Kelley Jones.

It's always nice to see recent comic book nods to the "Burton Car". These "All-Star" boooks are fairly recent I think?

DK Detective, these two covers look like they used actual concept art by Furst as the background.  ;D

Quote from: silenig on Sun,  5 Apr  2009, 15:06
DK Detective, these two covers look like they used actual concept art by Furst as the background.  ;D

Those covers do indeed use Furst's concept designs, & man do they look flawless! 8)

Any time they draw the Penguin with flippers for hands is a nod to Batman Returns. Tim Sale's Penguin is the most obvious, right down to the Victorian suit, but I saw some other issues that featured a be-flippered Oswald. I don't remember the issue numbers or the specific Bat-Title though.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Wed, 22 Apr 2009, 04:28 #8 Last Edit: Wed, 22 Apr 2009, 04:41 by batass4880
Anton Furst's non-produced, exterior subway design was apparently used for the back of Mattel's 2003 Batman action figure cards:

(Sorry about the quality)

I've seen images of Batman standing on top of a building like in B89: