Cobra Kai

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 6 Mar 2018, 17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Interesting analysis of Chozen vs "Bad Boy" Mike Barnes. Hell, I was thinking Mike Barnes, but after watching that video, I'm not quite as sure as I was before...

"Cobra Kai Season One" was outstanding! Especially in this day and age when it comes to classic franchises. Definitely looking forward to Season 2. Larusso, Lawrence, Kreese, Barnes ... yeah Season Two can't get here soon enough!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Chozen v Barnes?

Barnes, all the way and back. Chozen was ultimately vanquished by Daniel. They both gave as good as they got but it was a decisive win for Daniel.

Barnes consistently dominated Daniel. There was never a point when Daniel was capable of hanging with Barnes. Daniel centered himself with kata and SCORED ONE POINT, thereby winning the tournament. That's it! Daniel landed a punch on Barnes.

Daniel utterly destroyed Chozen.

Barnes would lay waste to Chozen without breaking too much of a sweat.

That YouTube guy is WAY off.

Course, the easy rebuttal is you could always throw in a scenario, since this is a "what if" at best, is what if Daniel centered himself and became confident in his abilities thru kata RIGHT FROM THE START with Barnes, rather than continually give in to his emotions throughout the match? Would the All Valley Karate Championship point system match between the two have fared any different? Yeah, I think the possibility would be VERY likely.

With the Daniel vs Chozen fight to the death, which ended up not being a match to the death, it's evident Chozen was an absolute mess emotionally before he even made his rather flashy appearance for the fight. Embarrassed and dishonored, Chozen's motivation in publicly challenging Daniel to a fight to the death was all that he could do, in his mind, to save face. Factor in addition, everyone, and it appeared to be EVERYONE at the festival, putting their support behind Daniel, and the idea of Chozen being increasingly wrecked even during the fight is probable. Hell, I would say Chozen was more wrecked during his fight with Daniel, than Daniel was with his point system match with Mike Barnes. Each emotional factor with each played a role in their respective matches for sure, and it's interesting to think how different those matches would have been since you just know that their opponents consciously, or unconsciously took advantage.

Course this is all idle speculation, and fun to think about, but I think the guy in the video has a strong and valid point in Miyagi Do karate being ultimately superior than Cobra Kai karate. Daniel Larusso went from an out of town chump, to defeating the baddest kid in the high school within one year. Never mind Miyagi always making short work of Kreese the couple of times they squared off, along with throwing Mike Barnes around like a wet noodle. Terry Silver? Yeah, that "Quicksilver" method didn't seem to move the ball either against Miyagi Do karate either. I would hate to have seen what Sato would have done in that situation. Actually, no. I would have loved to have seen that. Sato probably would have destroyed the Cobra Kai dojo like the incredible hulk. It would have been hilarious.

Course if it's decided to bring back Chozen and add him to the cast for Season 3, where somewhere along the way there's a Mike Barnes vs Chozen fight to answer this what if definitively, that would be cool. Barnes was clearly one bad MF'er, but nope. I'm not entirely convinced that he would have defeated a clear headed, Miyagi Do trained, Chozen. I will say this, the writers, going off of Season One, seem to be very capable with handling the continuity, and actually care about the material rather than pushing lib agendas like so many shows do these days. I dig familiar faces when it comes to this stuff. I noticed Tamlyn Tomita (Kumiko) has aged pretty well.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Looking good. And then tension with Johnny continues. Daniel is offering to train students for free, which is a clear shot across the bow at Johnny.

And, frankly, I don't think Mr. Miyagi would approve of Daniel teaching random strangers. He certainly wouldn't approve of doing it just to get under a rival's skin.

Daniel may be walking the path again but his motives are anything but pure.

I hope this all intentional and that my interpretation of these developments matches their intent. Because there's a chance that Daniel is being presented to the audience as noble when, in all honesty, I see nothing noble whatsoever in what it looks like he'll be doing in season 02. And that's not a criticism. It's good writing (assuming I'm right).

Yes. Looking forward to release day.

"He won't know what hit him."

Daniel looks about as horrified as he should. Is he teaching the right lessons? And how pure are his motives anyway?

This show isn't a nostalgia trip and it isn't taking the easy way out on anything. Incredibly great stuff here, can't wait.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  4 Apr  2019, 17:52
This thing is riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels and I just love it.

Philosophically, I subscribe to the idea of cycles of violence. One act of violence begets another. It's difficult to break and I adore the honesty of Daniel and Johnny's rivalry continuing into the current day and spilling out onto others. Obviously Kreese isn't a passive observer in all this but whatever.

There's almost nothing about this show that doesn't work for me in a big way.