My first BATMAN 1989 suit! =] Lotsa pics

Started by Batnar, Sun, 1 Feb 2009, 09:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 1 Feb 2009, 09:11 Last Edit: Sun, 12 Apr 2009, 19:11 by Batnar
Hi everyone! Batnar here. I was recommended to this site yesterday. So cool! And it's good to see some familiar bat faces too!  :)

Well, This would be my first attempt at an 89 suit and I really am enjoying this. I always wanted an 89 suit since I was a kid. This took forever and lots of effort to obtain parts while making the rest myself.
The cowl, chest and leg armor were sculpts by the awesome Bob D. The cape, vinyl coated under suit, gloves and boots were made by me. I obtained the belt and emblem from another fellow costume maker.

I will be collecting different items to see which fits the bill better for my body, height and overall look. I'm trying to get it as accurate as possible. So far, Im loving it. One day I will get me Reeves masterful 89 cowl too.

Enjoy the pics brothers!  ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   
"hahaeheheh"  You want to get out of here?  "YES."

WOW, nice suit! How much did it cost? I'd love to experience wearing a Keaton batsuit (esp. the BR batsuit, my fave). What's the mobility level in the suit & do you feel claustrophobic like Keaton did while wearing it? I'm willing to listen. 8)

Hey thanks!  :)

The mobility is definitely limited and I'm actually practicing (i know that sounds silly) moving like Keaton. I've been watching the films Batman and Batman Returns over and over, watching his movements. The bat turn and all that. Seems like the only effective way to move in this thing.

Im pretty good at hanging in there without feeling claustrophobic but its a hot experience. Once the sweating starts, you will find yourself running outside or in front of a nearby fan. Its ridiculous.

This suit wasn't made to accommodate comfort (the one im wearing in the pics) because its made out of urethane and it's pretty heavy.

Still, I fight the uncomfortable feelings and have fun with it, living out my geeky dreams as an 11 year old or so, of being the Batman himself!  ;D

Oh and it was expensive obtaining the materials to put it together. From cowl to boots and fabric for cape, gloves and under suit,  I must have spent at least 1200.00.  >_< But not all at once. I got in there piece by piece. Spending 100.00 here, 50.00 there, 200.00 here etc etc, over a period of almost 1 year.
And its still not 100% ready. lol. I'm very nit picky so Im buying different 89 cowls and capes, etc. Im really happy with what I have so far, but there's always room for more accuracy. Its a fun hobby minus the spending money part. =]
"Do you like eating in here?"   ...Oh yeah. .. ....   ... ... ...You know to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever been in this room before.   

Quote from: Batnar on Sun,  1 Feb  2009, 10:25
Im pretty good at hanging in there without feeling claustrophobic but its a hot experience. Once the sweating starts, you will find yourself running outside or in front of a nearby fan. Its ridiculous.

Do you get in a gruff Batman mood while wearing the suit?

Oh and it was expensive obtaining the materials to put it together. From cowl to boots and fabric for cape, gloves and under suit,  I must have spent at least 1200.00.  >_< But not all at once. I got in there piece by piece. Spending 100.00 here, 50.00 there, 200.00 here etc etc, over a period of almost 1 year.
And its still not 100% ready. lol. I'm very nit picky so Im buying different 89 cowls and capes, etc. Im really happy with what I have so far, but there's always room for more accuracy. Its a fun hobby minus the spending money part. =]

Smart buying. What do you plan on making more accurate? It looks DEAD ON!

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sun,  1 Feb  2009, 10:45

Do you get in a gruff Batman mood while wearing the suit?

Smart buying. What do you plan on making more accurate? It looks DEAD ON!

Well I've only took it out once and that was Halloween 2008 for about 2 hours. I enjoyed playing Keaton and the people were really diggin it. One went as far as talking to me like I really was Batman Keaton. lol!! He was like "OMG.. Youre my favorite Batman ever! I love your movies!"  XD wtf?
But I played along. ;-p Good times.

I have a new cape coming, a really long one like the one in the film which is made of fabric and poured latex (just like the film used cape). The one I have on in the pics will be given away to a young bat fan who's making his own 89 suit because it came out shorter than I wanted it to be. It needs to reach my heels but that one goes down to my calf leg muscles.

I will be getting a slightly larger cowl also which is identical to the one im wearing, but about an inch larger which in theory, will not only look perfect, but feel better (with more room to breath).

My gloves will be reworked. The armor on top of them came out a bit larger than I intended, but now that I have the exact measurements from the film, I will make them the right size. My boots will be tightened up around the ankles and calf so its nice and tight.

I'll post update pics soon enough with all those details. =]

Well I've only took it out once and that was Halloween 2008 for about 2 hours. I enjoyed playing Keaton and the people were really diggin it. One went as far as talking to me like I really was Batman Keaton. lol!! He was like "OMG.. Youre my favorite Batman ever! I love your movies!"  XD wtf?
But I played along. ;-p Good times.

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA! :D

Awesome pictures Batnar.  The cowl looks fantastic, great fit.

The funny thing is that you actually look a lot like Michael Keaton in the suit!

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Sun,  1 Feb  2009, 21:51
The funny thing is that you actually look a lot like Michael Keaton in the suit!

Yea, you favor him a lot. Well done! Great pics!

Really great work, Batnar! Plz, post more!
And try to do some gadgets from 89 Bats. I'm sure it will rocks!
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.