The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 5 Dec 2013, 17:59

Previous topic - Next topic

In the comics JJJ eventually marries May.

I agree with the last two posts that it may be intentional that they did not include JJJ in the new series based on how well he came off in the last series. I do often point out how in the amazing spider-man every single character who was featured in both series was upgraded in the reboot. Now I don't think the trend continued with ASM2; the only characters brought in whom were in the previous series were the Osborns and both were inferior in the new series. Not sure if it is only fan hype but there has even been rumours about JK simmons reprising his role.

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 14 May  2014, 03:14

Yeah, just to clarify, JJJ Sr. did.  ;)

His son, the JJJ Jr., that's currently the topic of discussion (and who everyone is more familiar with), became the Mayor of New York. Something of which he recently quit at the end of of the Superior Spider-Man arc.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 14 May  2014, 14:32

His son, the JJJ Jr., that's currently the topic of discussion (and who everyone is more familiar with), became the Mayor of New York. Something of which he recently quit at the end of of the Superior Spider-Man arc.

You're right. Just saying that could make for an interesting movie plotline; Sally Field's character is interesting enough that they could give her a bigger role, especially if they don't want a new love interest for Peter right away (which they shouldnt) be the case. They could certainly make JJJ bitter due to his wife dying and eventually opening the door for may.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 16 May  2014, 15:54
Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 14 May  2014, 14:32

You're right. Just saying that could make for an interesting movie plotline; Sally Field's character is interesting enough that they could give her a bigger role, especially if they don't want a new love interest for Peter right away (which they shouldnt) be the case. They could certainly make JJJ bitter due to his wife dying and eventually opening the door for may.
Good point.  Sally Field is always a compelling actress and her character is interesting, but I also felt that 'TASM2' was struggling to give her stuff to do.  A romantic sub-plot might help.  I hope the new franchise doesn't end up with May discovering, or implying she knows, Peter's identity early on in the proceedings because her ignorance could potentially open the way up for a lot of intriguing storylines.  At the moment however she seems to be very pro-Spider-Man.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Sun, 18 May 2014, 16:06 #54 Last Edit: Sun, 18 May 2014, 16:10 by Edd Grayson
I've seen TASM 2 today and I liked it. It's not the best CBM but certainly one of the better ones if you ask me. I don't know why some hated it.

I think it got the humor right, I was a little worried about Peter's parents taking much of the creentime at the start but their scene paid off nicely later. I think Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone had good chemistry, and while they weren't perfect I like them much more than Maguire and Dunst.

I thought dr Kafka and Rhino were funny, maybe unintentionally so. Also, wasn't dr. Kafka a woman in the comics? I would've liked if Rhino had the costume from the comics, it would've been over-the-top but I thought the suit of armor they gave him here was over-the-top as well.

I liked how they dealt with Electro here, not one of the best villains ever but I thought Jamie Foxx was good. I don't dislike Raimi's villains, but it annoyed me how they were killed off quickly and made too sympathetic, like Doc Ock was.

I know that "all roads with Gwen Stacy lead to death", but I thought it was a bit unfair that we got three movies of Mary Jane and she survived while Gwen only got two movies and died. I thought her death was handled well here although I didn't want it to happen since I like the character and the actress.

I liked Sally Field's scenes as aunt May too.

I think comparing the Osborns at this point wouldn't be entirely fair since James Franco's Harry appeared in all three movies and Willem Dafoe's Norman was the main antagonist while the new Norman was already on his deathbed.

I thought Harry's motivation for turning into the Green Goblin was decently done and I thought Dane DeHaan did okay overall, I thought his voice was kind of weird though.

I also like the little things like Peter having the 60's Spidey tune as his ringtone and when he whistles, and Peter talking to JJJ by e-mail.

I agree with riddler that it's better comic film and as Spidey fan I enjoyed it, probably a bit more than I enjoyed Raimi's when I first saw them. I also thought the score was great.

Will we see the Sinister Six in TASM 3?

I hope we don't see the Sinister Six too soon.  I'd prefer to see the villains built-up and developed slowly in order to establish their various identities.

Isn't there going to be a spin-off film where Harry recruits the Six?

As much as I've liked the two 'TASM' movies so far I do wish that the series had spent more time establishing Peter and Harry's relationship beforehand.  In retrospect, it would have been better if we'd gotten to meet Harry in the first film, in the way that James Franco's 'Harry Osborne' was built up in the first film as Peter's close friend, since it seems that Harry's 'Green Goblin' is going to be pivotal to the direction of the forthcoming movies in the franchise.

It would've been nice if their friendship was developed more in the new series, but  I'm not much of a fan of Harry Osborn as The Green Goblin. I prefer Norman. Too bad he's dead so we won't see his Goblin in this series.

If they try to do Venom again I hope they won't make Eddie Brock another "old friend" of Peter's, it would be too similar to Harry's. Maybe he could work at the Daily Bugle like he did in the 90's show.

What do you think the Sinister Six line-up will be? They've hinted at Doc Ock and Vulture and we already have Rhino and Electro available.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun, 18 May  2014, 16:40
It would've been nice if their friendship was developed more in the new series, but  I'm not much of a fan of Harry Osborn as The Green Goblin. I prefer Norman. Too bad he's dead so we won't see his Goblin in this series.

If they try to do Venom again I hope they won't make Eddie Brock another "old friend" of Peter's, it would be too similar to Harry's. Maybe he could work at the Daily Bugle like he did in the 90's show.

What do you think the Sinister Six line-up will be? They've hinted at Doc Ock and Vulture and we already have Rhino and Electro available.
Some people have speculated that Norman isn't really dead and is in fact cryogenically-frozen.  Remember, if you don't see the corpse all bets are off.

I hope Eddie Brock will be established over a couple of films before he turns into Venom.  I agree he shouldn't be an 'old friend' of Peter's, but he should be developed as a work colleague/rival at the Daily Bugle who has reasons for despising Parker.

I have no clue about the Sinister Six (by the way, despite my initial reservations based on the trailer, I actually liked Rhino's new look especially that last show when he did look like a rhino).  Like you say, we've got Rhino and Electro.  I agree about Dr Octopus and the Vulture.  What about Alistair Smythe, the Spider-Slayer?  He appeared in the film after all?

One thing I really didn't like about the film was the introduction of 'Felicia' assuming she turns out to be 'Felicia Hardy'.  She didn't strike me as being anything like the 'Felicia Hardy' from the comic-books, who is a much more vivacious spoiled rich girl type of character, and of course, platinum blonde not a brunette.

She could have been Felicia Hardy, I can't think of any other reason for giving her the name, if she is Felicia Hardy I don't like it either. I'd like to see Black Cat, but not with Felicia as Osborn's secretary (does everything have to be tied to Oscorp in some way?  :) )

I doubt Norman isn't dead, but I'll be happy if they do bring him back somehow.

I don't think they'll develop Eddie Brock over more than one film judging by how this franchise is going. That would be nice though.

Why do some people seem to hate TASM 2 so much? Are the haters mostly Raimi fans who miss the old series? :-\

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sun, 18 May  2014, 17:31
She could have been Felicia Hardy, I can't think of any other reason for giving her the name, if she is Felicia Hardy I don't like it either. I'd like to see Black Cat, but not with Felicia as Osborn's secretary (does everything have to be tied to Oscorp in some way?  :) )
Agreed!  I don't understand what qualities this actress, Felicity Jones, has which makes her right for 'Felicia Hardy'.

QuoteI doubt Norman isn't dead, but I'll be happy if they do bring him back somehow.
It surprises me that they used such a high-profile actor, Chris Cooper, for a couple of scenes (one of which was a flashback).

QuoteI don't think they'll develop Eddie Brock over more than one film judging by how this franchise is going. That would be nice though.
They better not make the same mistakes the last franchise did by rushing Venom's origins.  >:(

QuoteWhy do some people seem to hate TASM 2 so much? Are the haters mostly Raimi fans who miss the old series? :-\
Who are the 'haters'?