10 expensive, eccentric movies (Returns #6)

Started by Azrael, Sat, 9 Feb 2013, 21:57

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 9 Feb 2013, 21:57 Last Edit: Sat, 9 Feb 2013, 22:04 by SilentEnigma
6. Batman Returns (1992)
Budget: $80 million

QuoteWhat? A Batman movie, widely considered to be among the franchise's best, eccentric? Well, yes. It is a Tim Burton movie, after all, and it's Batman Returns' eccentricity that makes it so great. Although Burton's Batman was a decent big-screen reintroduction for the hero, Batman Begins is the better-made film, and following the success of the first, Warner really let the director stretch out and experiment, with a vastly higher budget than the original's $30 million.

As a result, we have a Batman movie in which its villains, Catwoman (Michelle Pfieffer), the Penguin (Danny De Vito) and evil millionaire Max Shreck (Christopher Walken) are collectively given far more screen time than the caped crusader himself. Then we have the film's grotesque character designs (the Penguin has a grotesque habit of leaking something that looks like chewing tobacco from the corner of his mouth, which still gives us the creeps today) and general chaos and violence, which make for a decidedly unusual mainstream superhero movie – albeit a fantastic one.

Warner must have quietly sighed with relief when Burton left the franchise and Joel Schumacher stepped into the breach with a sunnier, campier vision with Batman Forever. And then Batman & Robin happened, and all of a sudden, a murkier Dark Knight didn't seem like such a bad idea after all...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien-resurrection-altered-states-batman-returns-immortals-the-exorcist-ii-dune-list-ryan-lambie/22190/10-expensive-eccentric-modern-movies

Begins better made than BR? Nah.

The 'villains get more screen time' argument - fail. Catwoman and Penguin are very interesting anyway. More so than muffled voice Bane and co.

Burton leaving the franchise is one of the greatest tragedies. Imagine all the great films and soundtracks we would've had. But it did give rise to TAS.

Batman villains are always scene stealers. Fact. Even Ledger's Joker stole the movie from Bale just like Nicholson with Keaton.

I do get fed up with the geeky joke of bringing up Joel Schumacher's movies when describing the history of the series as a final paragraph. Guys it's getting old and not funny. Get some new material. They chose their name well however, denofgeek indeed.

Also I think the reference to Batman Begins is a mistake. It seemed on reading it he got confused between the similarly titled movies. Proof if any be needed that some of these fans haven't a clue half the time what their arguing about *sigh*

QuoteAlso I think the reference to Batman Begins is a mistake. It seemed on reading it he got confused between the similarly titled movies. Proof if any be needed that some of these fans haven't a clue half the time what their arguing about *sigh*

That mistake is more common that you might think. Even Danny DeVito made it in an interview last year (around the 1:50 mark).

http://collider.com/danny-devito-the-lorax-twins-sequel-interview/

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 10 Feb  2013, 03:14
Burton leaving the franchise is one of the greatest tragedies.

Yeah, and imagine if you were one of those that grew up with these films. This is why some fans start to grind a bat-shaped twin axe when people throw praise towards Schumacher's.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 10 Feb  2013, 03:14Burton leaving the franchise is one of the greatest tragedies. Imagine all the great films and soundtracks we would've had. But it did give rise to TAS.
As true as that is and as much as I would've appreciated more Burton Batman movies, part of me has to acknowledge that (A) we wouldn't have the Schumacher movies if Burton hadn't departed and (B) that same part of me would regret that fact. Still, I just can't not watch B89 and/or BR when they're on. I just can't take my eyes off them.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 10 Feb  2013, 19:55
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 10 Feb  2013, 03:14Burton leaving the franchise is one of the greatest tragedies. Imagine all the great films and soundtracks we would've had. But it did give rise to TAS.
As true as that is and as much as I would've appreciated more Burton Batman movies, part of me has to acknowledge that (A) we wouldn't have the Schumacher movies if Burton hadn't departed and (B) that same part of me would regret that fact. Still, I just can't not watch B89 and/or BR when they're on. I just can't take my eyes off them.

Same here. I know them all backwards and can quote them begining to end. Isn't that pathetic? lol When their all shown on Sky I'll put one on for a glance and then can't stop watching. Funnily enough even Iyla Salkind has that problem with the Superman pictures. He gets caught up in the wonder of his own movies lol Funny guy.

Some fans I believe don't watch them for several years but I swear there hasn't been a year gone by in my life where I haven't stuck them in the VHS/DVD player. And I'll probably still be doing it when I'm in my sixties too lol I think they truly are my favourite movies of all time and a massive window into my distant and much missed childhood. Although it is sorta depressing watching them get older and older at the same time as me...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 10 Feb  2013, 19:55
Yeah. And you know what? The fact Burton only did two Batman films makes things even more special. Like Nick Drake laying down three superb albums and then departing this realm, never to be repeated and never to dive in quality.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun, 10 Feb  2013, 18:41
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 10 Feb  2013, 03:14
Burton leaving the franchise is one of the greatest tragedies.

Yeah, and imagine if you were one of those that grew up with these films. This is why some fans start to grind a bat-shaped twin axe when people throw praise towards Schumacher's.
I grew up with Burton films. I'm that era. Though I can realise things are done. Set in stone. Over.

I just dislike Nolan. Schumacher does more for me in comparison these days. Schumacher following Burton doesn't mean much to me anymore in terms of being a negative.