Blog article: "Why I Hate The Bat-Man"

Started by Azrael, Mon, 19 Nov 2012, 17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

I like that blogger. And he raises a lot of good points.

Not specifically to topic (although kind of) but this ties in with something I've held against "comics" fans for a long time. Since Superman is where I have the majority of my fan experience, that's the example I'll run with it. It's really stupefying how grossly that character's history has been misrepresented by an ignorant fanbase. Exhibit A- The Clark/Superman/Lois love triangle never existed. Seriously, go back and read those comics. Sure, there are instances you can point to but those are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Through a good bit of his history, Lois had some affection for Superman, Superman maybe had some unrequited affection for her but Clark generally stayed above the fray and didn't pay Lois a whole lot of attention. And before someone rushes off to Google, know that posting few out of context panels from Action Comics #1 doesn't prove you right. Hell, if anything, it argues my point because there is no love triangle in that issue either. Superman is dismissive of Lois for all or most of the story.

Another fable is the Silver Age, which for Superman's participation lasted from 1960 until 1971. We're to believe that it's filled with nothing but flying horses, super monkeys and general stupidity. Well, um, core parts of the mythos that endure to this very day were introduced in the Silver Age. And many of them haven't really changed all that much since then. And there are several issues that retell Superman's origin and life story in a way that's borderline definitive for the era. A lot of stories have a ton of real heart to them too. All this gets washed aside with that crass "60's silliness" label.

Anyway. I've only read part 1 of that blog but his analysis definitely puts a whole new spin on All-Star Batman for me.

Yeah, his blog is really a goldmine for comics knowledge. He has written quite a few great articles for Superman too.

I don't care for this blog. It seems he's trying to get a rise out of people for picking on the least-understoof Batman; the original. Seeing as he probably hasn't lived in the 30s, I don't really consider his analysis to be accurate. He's making a comparison to a character that hasn't existed yet. That's like criticizing a rotary phone because it's not an iPhone. And I'm not even agreeing that they were bad either; the early adventures do provide an interesting story through Batman's detective work and his gadgets. Just because his name had a hyphen, it doesn't mean he was a different character.