Anyone seen The Dark Knight yet?

Started by Sandman, Thu, 17 Jul 2008, 06:47

Previous topic - Next topic
If so how was it? Was it as good as the hype that followed? love to get get everyone's opinions on it. I haven't seen it yet been to busy but i hope to go as soon as possible to the imax at sydney or if worse comes my friend can get me the dvd in a few weeks.

It is outstanding. Ledger is the definitive Joker, and TDK is the best Batman film of all.

Thu, 17 Jul 2008, 11:27 #2 Last Edit: Thu, 17 Jul 2008, 11:29 by raleagh
It was so good that Mothy deleted his account here!  ;)

Please post your opinions here.

As for me.....some of us won't see TDK until next week.  So to enjoy the movie unspoiled by other opinions and such, I will be be offline until next thursday night (24th).

The movie won't open until August 11th here. :-\

Oh sorry i should have said first off "NO SPOILERS" my bad just wanted to know if it was really up to the hype..

Thu, 17 Jul 2008, 23:30 #5 Last Edit: Fri, 18 Jul 2008, 01:25 by Gotham Knight
Saw it.

Honestly, I can say it was good. Really good. Ledger outdid Jack.

However, it's safe to say that it really hasn't gotten past the overly self seriousness of the previous one or its inhability to have dialogue that isn't over splashed. Also, this film has finally drained the fun pop culture out of Batman and made it 'drag' of an experience. Great Batman film, lousy comic book movie.

B even.

Big argument this year was 'which film would be better?' Indy 4 or TDK? Though I would have likely given the award to TDK if I had seen it last week, but a few days ago I saw Indy 4 for a second time. I was less overwhelmed by the long Indy absence and discovered how much better it was in a second run through. Indy wins in my opinion for as flawed as it is, it still has a lot of fun. Something TDK can't get over itself long enough to do.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Thu, 17 Jul  2008, 23:30
its inhability to have dialogue that isn't over splashed.
This is something I was, and still am, worried about.  :(
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I was lucky enough to go to a private screening of The Dark Knight late Tuesday night.

First, let me say that this film is a total masterpiece. Chris Nolan and his crew have out done what they achieved with Batman Begins. I was glued to the screen from beginning to end and I'm not sure how the heck they will top this film.

Now let's get started.

Batman/Bruce Wayne - Christian Bale is just as perfect in this role as he was the first time around. He plays Bruce Wayne as the rich pretty boy who still doesn't have a care in the world, except for fast cars and beautiful woman that is. Can you really blame him? Meanwhile, as Batman, he has more skill than he did in Batman Begins. His fighting style and techniques are fast, smooth and flow together very well. His equipment and gadgets have also improved dramatically and it only makes sense that they would. Batman is also seen by the audience more in this film than in the previous one, which is a good thing. 10/10

The Joker - Everyone thinks that Heath Ledger will at least get an Oscar nomination for this role. That is an understatement my friends, he deserves the damn thing! Health is brilliant as the Clown Prince of crime. Never before have I seen such a perfect portrayal of a classic villain. Heath is funny and maniacal all in the same scene, the audience didn't know wither to laugh or to cringe for his victims. His dialogue is also perfect and his mannerisms are right down genius. 10/10

James Gordon - What more can I say about the great Gary Oldman? He's Gary Oldman! The good thing about Gordon is that he has a much larger role than before. He plays a very important part the film and his speech at the end it very moving. 9/10

Alfred Pennyworth - Michael Caine's role seems smaller this time, but he still has great importance. He's Batman and Bruce Wayne's most trusted confidante and he's always looking out for Bruce's best interest, even if Bruce doesn't know it. 9/10

Harvey Dent/Two Face - Aaron Eckhart is spot on in both performances. His Harvey Dent is the marauding white knight District Attorney that Gotham needs, he's ready to do whatever is necessary to get the job done. As Two Face, he goes the distance to punish anyone he knows played a part in making him the way his is and maybe even a few people that he believes to be responsible as well. This character's transformation is probably the most tragic thing in the film. 10/10

Rachel Dawes - If this film has one flaw I would have to say it's Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes. Her performance was good, but I just don't get her purpose in the film. In Batman Begins it was clear, but this time around it seem like her role could have been given to any female. She's not really a love interest for Batman or Bruce Wayne and it seems she's just there to create friction between two of the film's strongest actors. Why not put Gilda Dent from The Long Halloween in her place? 6/10

So there you have it. I would like to thank Chris Nolan and cast and crew of The Dark Knight for giving us this amazing film. I would also like to thank 42 Entertainment for all the games they provided during the viral marketing. And I would like to thank Warner Bros. for the tickets to the screening. Here's to hoping that Chris Nolan and crew come back for a third film.

The film has some obvious strengths and some obvious weaknesses.  I enjoyed it but, as someone else wrote, a sense of fun is sorely lacking.

As this is a no spoilers thread, I'll say this: if you enjoyed Christian Bale's Batman voice in BB, buckle up cuz you'll love it in TDK even more.  If, like me, you thought his voice was a joke... well, you might want to invest in some ear plugs.

I walked out of the theatre with my head held high. Ledger wipes the floor with Nicholson and is the definitive Joker for now and forever. TDK is not only the best Batman film, but it is a good film in its own right. 10/10.